GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

MAC Exhaust drone issue follow-up

Search this Thread

Old 5/9/05, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last week I posted my comments about the drone at 1800rpm that has been observed after installing the MAC axle-back exhaust kit. While we all aren't strangers to the issue (I mean, what do you expect from a performance muffler?), some MAC owners like myself found the drone a bit worse than usual. I have some followup comments.

After one week of driving (about 400 miles or so), I'd like to point out that the drone HAS diminished somewhat, and oddly enough is further reduced if you crack a window slightly--the resonance seems to break up a bit. It's still a distraction but certainly not as much. I'm not sure if the actual volume at "full drone" has decreased or I've become more accomodating, but I think for now I can live with it. We'll see after I have more time under a variety of conditions. Other than the drone, I truly love the sound!

FWIW, I've had nothing but good comments and thumbs up from bystanders about the exhaust sound. Every other week we have a car show in Mt. Airy, Maryland in the parking lot of an ice cream joint, and I had a LOT of interest from other '05 Mustang folks regarding the exhaust this past Saturday. Lots of heads turned when I ripped out of the joint.

So, for now I give this 4/5 thumbs up...

John
Old 5/9/05, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John

What ice cream joint in Mt Airy and what time? Is it called Teddy's or something like that? I'd like to hear you car before I put an exhaust on mine.

Book
Old 5/9/05, 10:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jwgroovin@May 9, 2005, 10:07 AM
Last week I posted my comments about the drone at 1800rpm that has been observed after installing the MAC axle-back exhaust kit. While we all aren't strangers to the issue (I mean, what do you expect from a performance muffler?), some MAC owners like myself found the drone a bit worse than usual. I have some followup comments.

After one week of driving (about 400 miles or so), I'd like to point out that the drone HAS diminished somewhat, and oddly enough is further reduced if you crack a window slightly--the resonance seems to break up a bit. It's still a distraction but certainly not as much. I'm not sure if the actual volume at "full drone" has decreased or I've become more accomodating, but I think for now I can live with it. We'll see after I have more time under a variety of conditions. Other than the drone, I truly love the sound!

FWIW, I've had nothing but good comments and thumbs up from bystanders about the exhaust sound. Every other week we have a car show in Mt. Airy, Maryland in the parking lot of an ice cream joint, and I had a LOT of interest from other '05 Mustang folks regarding the exhaust this past Saturday. Lots of heads turned when I ripped out of the joint.

So, for now I give this 4/5 thumbs up...

John
Well I found my drone this past weekend. We drove to Vegas for the MX finals (about 700 miles round trip) and I got some drone. It was most noticable when the car was under a load. Going up hills or heavy winds etc. It was not anything I can't live with but with the windows up like you said, there would be certain RPMs that would get loud. I agree with your 4 out of 5 thumbs .
Old 5/9/05, 11:12 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Bookman@May 9, 2005, 12:44 PM
John

What ice cream joint in Mt Airy and what time? Is it called Teddy's or something like that? I'd like to hear you car before I put an exhaust on mine.

Book
Every 1st and 3rd Saturday at the Jimmy Cone. If you're coming north on 27, it's a left onto Ridgeville Rd (you have a light). After turning left, you should see a Food Lion in a strip mall after the second light up on the right. Go through the second light (which is main street, left to right) and turn right (after a liquor store)up a very steep hill to the Food Lion parking lot. You'll see a ton of muscle cars, both old and new. And the Jimmy Cone ice cream place.

I have a Torch Red GT, with Mustang Club of Maryland tags.

For what it's worth, the Home Depot in Eldersburg, 20 minutes to the NE of Mt. Airy, hosts a similar, albeit smaller show every 2nd and 4th Saturday. So weather permitting I have a great hour or two to spend with other gear heads.

I live near the junction of 26/27, so if you want to meet up some place, we could rev the engines and you can get a feel for the exhaust...

John
Old 5/11/05, 06:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

seriously, anyone have clips of this exhaust???
Old 5/11/05, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by MaverickMLFD371@May 11, 2005, 8:36 PM
I will try on Sunday. FWIW, when I turn on the engine in my office parking garage to leave for home, I almost always set off at least one car alarm...

John
Old 5/11/05, 09:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jwgroovin+May 11, 2005, 9:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jwgroovin @ May 11, 2005, 9:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MaverickMLFD371@May 11, 2005, 8:36 PM
I will try on Sunday. FWIW, when I turn on the engine in my office parking garage to leave for home, I almost always set off at least one car alarm...

John
[/b][/quote]
One word....DYNAMAT! Take some time,and start pulling trunk area apart,remove rear seats...tap around....this car has very little sound deadening material. The metal panels are very"tinny" sounding. I went through,and Dynamatted alot of areas,and used felt padding<like under carpet...on some areas in rear quarter panels,and trunk area! IT WORKED GREAT! Take alot of Drone out!...Only difference between the Quiet interior,and the loud one...is Sound Deadener!