GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Lowered and tightened up!

Search this Thread

Old 6/24/07, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowered and tightened up!

Steeda Ultralight springs, Tokico adjustable shocks, BMR Front and rear sway bars and adjustable panhard bar. All from TillmanSpeed!!! Still playing with the D-specs..

Came across a slight dilemma with the front shocks. Are you supposed to transfer over the yellow bump stop from the stock struts? I had all the instructions and two complete how-to's printed out and no one addressed it.... I put them in just to be safe

Old 6/24/07, 12:10 PM
GT Member

Look Good, do you have pictures of the swaybars in place???
Old 6/24/07, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are some bad pics of the rear. I'll try to get some on the lift later this week. I didn't think to take some while I had it on jacks.

This thing is L--O---W.

Old 6/24/07, 06:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great, great choice on the BMR parts!
Old 6/24/07, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good! You might have to cut part of the bumpstops off.
Old 6/24/07, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Subscribing! Congrats, the stance looks great....doesn't look too low.

I'm going to do the Steeda Ultralites/Tokico's/BMR panhard rod also when cashflow permits (the BMR rear sway bar's already on its way), and I'm interested in finding out how much more squeak/rattle-inducing vibration is transmitted from the road to the car with this setup....CR is also recommending that I go with the Steeda Sport Springs instead of the Ultralites, and again your impressions will be invaluable to my decision-making process.
Old 6/24/07, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Once you get those D-Specs figured out...drop us a post. I did the Steeda springs and LCAs and Panhard, but I think I need to go back in and add the Tokicos. I just need a bit more feedback before I drop the $$$.

Thanks in advance,

Shaun
Old 6/24/07, 07:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I will keep you guys informed. Right now at 4 turns F/R the rear breaks loose a little easier than before. Not sure if i just need to get used to them. No squeeks yet, but everything is freshly lubed up. Haven't notice any road vibes at all. The car feels a lot tighter and more responsive. I thinlk the stance is bad ***!

CR recommended the ULs to me.....????

Definatly get the adjustable panhard. I was shocked to see my stock set-up was so uneven. The BMR bar dialed the axle right in.
Old 6/24/07, 08:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ironically my rear didn't move too much when it was lowered. My adjustable stuff could have been solids. I used the Steeda Competition springs. I noticed with the Eibachs we used on the Wife's car, the rear moved about 1/8" to the driver's side.

As for the Upper Link (third link), I believe the option is upper adjustable or lower adjustables for correcting the center of the wheel in the well. In reality, for daily driving use, you most likely won't notice any of the extra adjustments.

Primarily the adjustable stuff is for consistent launches on a prepped surface, i.e. drag strip. When you plan to do 100 with another car 14 feet off your door and a concrete wall the other way, I say the extra effort is a must, but for a DD, just try not to ram anyone!
Old 6/24/07, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

In stock suspension trim, my axle already sticks out on the drivers side about ¼"...and the way the suspension and panhard bar are attached, that will get worse when I drop it with the Steeda springs, and then also I'm **** about these things, so the adjustable panhard rod is a must when I do the other stuff.

BTW AFChief, I love the color you chose...very elegant
Old 6/24/07, 09:31 PM
V6 Member

AFChief

Nice ride. I am also strongly considering the Steeda UL or Sports. I had the sports on my previous '97 GT and loved them. I currently want something that will stop the car from bouncing and jittering so much, firm it up a bit, improve handling/flat cornering - but also not destroy the ride. Any impressions you can give would be helpful in this manner.

As far as your rear end breaking loose, most boards that I have surfed recommended the rear D-specs be about 1/2 turn lighter shock valving than the front. You might play with that a little.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on your suspension - I think you've made some excellent choices.
Old 6/25/07, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor

I reccommended the sports because you were looking for something with a little more sporty spring rates, and weren't too concerned with keeping the stock comfort level. The sport springs don't feel rough, especially with a good set of Tokico DSpecs.

The Ultralites are the same drop, just engineered for comfort. Because AFChief has the adjustable tokicos, the other modifications including sway bars will take over where the spring rates will still keep a great deal of daily comfort without feeling too "floaty".

You can't go wrong with either setup... it depends on what it sounds like you're looking for. Being that you were looking at Eibachs first, that's why I reccommended the sport springs.

AFChief, A++++++, the car looks GREAT and sits PERFECT!

CR
Tillman Speed
Old 6/25/07, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Are superlights and ultralights the same spring?
Old 6/25/07, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TillmanSpeed
I reccommended the sports because you were looking for something with a little more sporty spring rates, and weren't too concerned with keeping the stock comfort level. The sport springs don't feel rough, especially with a good set of Tokico DSpecs.

The Ultralites are the same drop, just engineered for comfort. Because AFChief has the adjustable tokicos, the other modifications including sway bars will take over where the spring rates will still keep a great deal of daily comfort without feeling too "floaty".

You can't go wrong with either setup... it depends on what it sounds like you're looking for. Being that you were looking at Eibachs first, that's why I reccommended the sport springs.

AFChief, A++++++, the car looks GREAT and sits PERFECT!

CR
Tillman Speed
Thanks for the explanation...I'll probably go with the Steeda Sports/Tokico's (and I'll already have the BMR rear sway bar). I think you confused me with someone else, though...I never looked at Eibachs...
Old 6/25/07, 03:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

afchief, looks real good! is that the stance your car had right after you installed the suspension? or did it settle down a bit over time? i got the steeda shocks, struts, and ultra-lite springs and my height seems higher than yours. i just had it installed 4 days ago though. i wonder if the d-specs make that much of a difference?
Old 6/25/07, 04:22 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MrClean
Thanks for the explanation...I'll probably go with the Steeda Sports/Tokico's (and I'll already have the BMR rear sway bar). I think you confused me with someone else, though...I never looked at Eibachs...
Maybe I do? Regardless the Sport springs really are engineered for a very spirited daily driver. The ultralites are for a mild-spirited daily driver. The thing is that it all depends on the supporting mods... the shocks, UCA, LCA, panhard, etc.

CR
Old 6/25/07, 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sound wave
afchief, looks real good! is that the stance your car had right after you installed the suspension? or did it settle down a bit over time? i got the steeda shocks, struts, and ultra-lite springs and my height seems higher than yours. i just had it installed 4 days ago though. i wonder if the d-specs make that much of a difference?
Yes, I had just pulled it out of the garage and took a quick spin on my "special" area of Highway.
Old 6/25/07, 05:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the D-Specs lower the car anymore?
Old 6/25/07, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

D-Specs do not affect ride height, only suspension dampening

AFChief

Your ride looks good. But now you need to drop the lower a-arm (BMR axle bracket) to eliminate or reduce the squat your car will now have.
Old 6/25/07, 07:24 PM
Bullitt Member

A-Arm or LCAs?

Quick Reply: Lowered and tightened up!