GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Lower just the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/05, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any ideas on pro or can on such a mod?

Any pics of a car lowered like like this?

All input welcomed.
Old 8/7/05, 11:47 AM
FR500 Member

My car has the Steeda Sport springs on the rear only. Lowered the rear about one inch and leveled the car out nicely.
Old 8/7/05, 12:00 PM
FR500 Member

Here is a pic of mine with the back dropped 3/4".

And by the way, Paul... thanks again for the Steeda front springs. Haven't gotten around to putting them on and then cutting the rear again to level out the car. One of these days...
Old 8/7/05, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's a pic of mine lowered 3/4" in the rear. I just today (over a month later) got my BMR adjustable panard bar on, and did an alignment.

FYI: The rear end was way out of alignment (shifted to one side, and twisted), but I think they are from the factory.

[attachmentid=29831]
Old 8/7/05, 02:15 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by acadian@August 7, 2005, 10:03 AM
Here is a pic of mine with the back dropped 3/4".

And by the way, Paul... thanks again for the Steeda front springs. Haven't gotten around to putting them on and then cutting the rear again to level out the car. One of these days...
darn, Ian...your Stang is looking SHARP! Got any closer shots of that SSE ducktail? Man, your car is looking fine!
Old 8/7/05, 02:53 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by loudog@August 7, 2005, 3:18 PM
darn, Ian...your Stang is looking SHARP! Got any closer shots of that SSE ducktail? Man, your car is looking fine!
Thanks. Here's the only close-ip pic I really have of the ducktail... as well as another view of it.

And as far as alignment or ride quality issues... for me after dropping the rear only, I have had no issues at all. The alignment is just as good as stock. I'll be getting an alignment after I drop the front, but if you just drop the rear you should be fine.
Old 8/7/05, 03:03 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by acadian@August 7, 2005, 11:03 AM

Hope you get a chance to make use of them!

Your ducktail looks great, esp. with the flared tailpipes
Old 8/7/05, 03:13 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by INTRUDER@August 7, 2005, 10:15 AM
Any ideas on pro or can on such a mod?

I havn't experienced any negatives with this mod.
You can purchase just the rear (only) springs through Steeda, from what I've been told.
The back end of my car tucks in much tighter on sharp turns than it ever did stock.
The car is level with out having any more clearance problems with the front end.
My doors clear curbs (just barely), so I don't have to be uptight with a passenger opening her door against one
I can still get under the car to change oil, etc.. & my floor jack barely fits under the frame.

Happy camper!
Old 8/7/05, 04:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lowered just the rear of mine a couple weeks ago. Don't notice much difference in handling or ride, but the gap is equal front and rear now. I picked up a set of stock take-offs on ebay and cut a coil off the rears.
Old 8/7/05, 07:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would lowering just the rear require all the fuss with camber plates/adjustment, etc like many have been complaining about with lowering the car or just the adjustable panhard rod? Or none of the above?
Old 8/7/05, 08:04 PM
FR500 Member

You may need the adjustable panhard rod, depending on how out of align the rear end ends up. It's an easy install though and so are the rear springs. No alignment needed.
Old 8/7/05, 08:18 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, you can just order the rear springs from Steeda. I just ordered mine last week and they should be here in a few days. I hope to put them next weekend.

Like Sonic05 said, I think the rear alignment problem is more from a factory screw up than it is from lowering the car. It just the same as putting wider wheels and tires on the car. The rear was always screwed up, it's just more noticable now.

On a side note. I lowered my rear by 1/4" yesterday just by going to the gas station. I was curious about how much a full tank would affect the height compared to an empty one. I measured with about a 1/4 tank and then full. BTW, the front didn't drop at all.

Now I'm worried the back might look too low compared to the front with a full tank. A 1/4" can really make a difference when you're working with such small numbers to begin with. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 8/7/05, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think 1/4" extra drop will be too bad. Besides, all the classic Mustangs sat lower in the back than these do. I will be cutting my rear springs sometime this week, after I get my new wheels on.
Old 8/7/05, 11:08 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 7, 2005, 7:21 PM
Yes, you can just order the rear springs from Steeda. I just ordered mine last week and they should be here in a few days. I hope to put them next weekend.

On a side note. I lowered my rear by 1/4" yesterday just by going to the gas station. I was curious about how much a full tank would affect the height compared to an empty one. I measured with about a 1/4 tank and then full. BTW, the front didn't drop at all.

Now I'm worried the back might look too low compared to the front with a full tank. A 1/4" can really make a difference when you're working with such small numbers to begin with. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
The sport springs are a little stiffer than the stock. I think you'll be pleased with the way your car sits after the install. Getting in and out of the car will prolly take a couple days to get used to though The back end of my car still (looks like) it sits about a half inch higher than the front does.
Old 8/8/05, 12:42 AM

That's good to hear, wild stray. With an empty tank the difference between the front and back is almost exactly 1". Full tank is 3/4" so I'm worried. I've seen a couple of others that have said theirs sat lower in the rear. That's one thing that got me thinking about the gas tank.

Can you post a full size pic of your avatar?
Old 8/8/05, 01:01 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by StangNut@August 7, 2005, 11:45 PM
Can you post a full size pic of your avatar?
The avatar doesn't reflect the new springs. The pic I posted above is more accurate and it is seldom I run the car down to a quarter tank. I can't vouch for how much gas is in the tank at the pic, but I HATE the fuel warning message and I've replaced two in tank fuel pumps on service trucks because people like to see how far they can go on two ounces of fuel. Very expensive! Stangnut, go with the flow and do the install, I personally believe you will be pleased. If you truely don't like it, changing back is not a major chore.

Paul
Old 8/8/05, 11:59 AM

Thanks, Paul. I've already ordered them (should be here tomorrow) so I've already decided to just go with it and see how they look. I can always buy a set of front springs if I don't like it.
Old 8/8/05, 01:06 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wild stray@August 7, 2005, 11:50 AM
My car has the Steeda Sport springs on the rear only. Lowered the rear about one inch and leveled the car out nicely.

Paul - looks nice!! I took the easy way out and lowered my rear 1" by cutting one coil off each of the rear springs.....I know - not very scientific - but I've had it this way for 6 months now and no issues/problems at all. One day I probably will end up getting a set of all 4 performance srpings - but his works pretty well for the time bieng.
Old 8/8/05, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I am interested in lowering the rear a bit when I get my 06 in. If I opt for the Steeda performance springs in the rear only will I need to do any other mods to camber plates or anything? Or is it just like cutting a coil off the stock springs. Thanks
Old 8/8/05, 05:18 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@August 8, 2005, 12:09 PM
Paul - looks nice!! I took the easy way out and lowered my rear 1" by cutting one coil off each of the rear springs.....I know - not very scientific - but I've had it this way for 6 months now and no issues/problems at all. One day I probably will end up getting a set of all 4 performance srpings - but his works pretty well for the time bieng.
Thanx

Paul

Quick Reply: Lower just the rear?