GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Low/High Speed Fan Temps?

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/10, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low/High Speed Fan Temps?

Does anyone know the stock temp settings for the low and high speed cooling fans? When I was running my stock tune, I never noticed my fans running. But, now that I have installed Brenspeed tunes via an SCT X3 tuner, the fans seem to run all the time, even on cold days after a short period of time. I suspect that Brenspeed set the temps lower than stock.
Old 3/15/10, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by osugrad85
Does anyone know the stock temp settings for the low and high speed cooling fans? When I was running my stock tune, I never noticed my fans running. But, now that I have installed Brenspeed tunes via an SCT X3 tuner, the fans seem to run all the time, even on cold days after a short period of time. I suspect that Brenspeed set the temps lower than stock.
I am running Brenspeeds tune for almost 3 yrs. now and you may be right. It won't hurt anything if the fan runs more often. This is a question you should email Brenspeed about to get the true story. If you do get an answer please post it back here for the rest of us!!
Old 3/15/10, 10:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tillman does the same thing. Turn the fans on early. Most likely because a cooler engine produces more power. I noticed it the first time I pulled into my car port to the sound of the fans running. Thinking, that didn't happen before. I think that the stock settings were 216 and 228 degrees F. The tune's settings were more like 192 and 198. But that low, they run just about all the time but I don't think they need to be. If they did to be safe, then Ford would have set them that low. I put my temps back to stock as the noise was annoying.

Last edited by Cusp; 3/15/10 at 10:33 PM.
Old 3/16/10, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cusp
Tillman does the same thing. Turn the fans on early. Most likely because a cooler engine produces more power. I noticed it the first time I pulled into my car port to the sound of the fans running. Thinking, that didn't happen before. I think that the stock settings were 216 and 228 degrees F. The tune's settings were more like 192 and 198. But that low, they run just about all the time but I don't think they need to be. If they did to be safe, then Ford would have set them that low. I put my temps back to stock as the noise was annoying.
Thanks for the input. I saw those numbers (216 and 228) mentioned in another forum. How long have you been running with these numbers? BTW, I've got the same CAI as you (FRPP Bullitt), with auto transmission.

Last edited by osugrad85; 3/16/10 at 09:57 PM.
Old 3/17/10, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford doesn't run as aggressive as your tuner on the timing either.. Think maybe they set them that low for a reason?
Old 3/19/10, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I am running Brenspeeds tune for almost 3 yrs. now and you may be right. It won't hurt anything if the fan runs more often. This is a question you should email Brenspeed about to get the true story. If you do get an answer please post it back here for the rest of us!!
I heard from Brent at Brenspeed today: Ford's factory settings for the 4.6L engine are "LOW SPEED OFF 208, LOW SPEED ON 216" and "HIGH SPEED OFF 224, HIGH SPEED ON 228". Since the SCT-X3 tuner will only let me set the "on" setting, I assume the "off" settings take care of themselves.

Last edited by osugrad85; 3/19/10 at 09:55 PM.
Old 3/20/10, 12:05 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But did Brent say why they set them lower?
I drove around for a while with the SCT in logging mode set to display the engine temp. During normal driving the temp didn't get high enough to trip on even the low speed fan. It settled in at about 210 on its own with no fan running. I had to go looking for a nice hill to drive up to get it to come on at 216. I never got the car hot enough driving around to get the high speed fan to come on even going up the longest hill I could find. I think it was a mid 70s kind of day out. I agree that the temp off seems to take care of itself. It must be built in hysteresis.
Old 3/31/10, 10:57 PM

But did Brent say why they set them lower?
I asked, but I never got an answer. Maybe it's a proprietary issue with them. I can say that the temps they set in my tunes were 192 for low speed and 196 for high speed cooling fans. Definitely a lot lower than Ford's numbers. There must be some reason for it, but I'm going with Ford's numbers for now.
Old 4/1/10, 09:14 AM
Bullitt Member

I used my sct hand held to adjust the fan to run at the lowest possible temps, basically keeping it on always. I figured it couldn't hurt.
Old 4/1/10, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
I used my sct hand held to adjust the fan to run at the lowest possible temps, basically keeping it on always. I figured it couldn't hurt.
I guess, like most things, personal preference is going to play into this. In my case, the fan was coming on after just a few miles of light city driving in fairly cool weather (sunny and 60s). And, since my ride is a convertible, that fan noise became annoying really fast. It made me feel like I was driving a cheap import (not the modern muscle car that I custom ordered and bought with hard earned cash).

I figure Ford's been running the higher temps in the 4.6L engine successfully for years, so there shouldn't be any risk of overheating using their temps. I assume that Brenspeed uses the lower temps to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of the engine, which is not a bad thing. But, I want to hear the sweet rumble of the engine, not the whine of the fan, when I'm cruising with the top down.
Old 4/1/10, 04:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's funny, I've been running the Brenspeed set of tunes on my '08 'stang since summer of '08. Only just started to get the excessive fan noise this past winter. Maybe it's a fan bearing issue or something along those lines?

I was trouble shooting it a few months ago and thought it might be from the valve cover breathers or something, so I removed them and put the intake back to stock with the stock tune. No excessive fan noise. Left the breathers off and put the C&L CAI back on and loaded the Brenspeed tunes and voila, noise was back.

Noise hasn't been around since the temps got above 40 degrees though, so I really don't know. :dunno
Old 4/2/10, 01:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by osugrad85
I guess, like most things, personal preference is going to play into this. In my case, the fan was coming on after just a few miles of light city driving in fairly cool weather (sunny and 60s). And, since my ride is a convertible, that fan noise became annoying really fast. It made me feel like I was driving a cheap import (not the modern muscle car that I custom ordered and bought with hard earned cash).

I figure Ford's been running the higher temps in the 4.6L engine successfully for years, so there shouldn't be any risk of overheating using their temps. I assume that Brenspeed uses the lower temps to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of the engine, which is not a bad thing. But, I want to hear the sweet rumble of the engine, not the whine of the fan, when I'm cruising with the top down.
I hear ya there. For me my exhaust is so loud, plus my tunes, plus being a coupe, the fan is the last thing I hear.
Old 4/2/10, 04:46 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run 208/212 (I think) on my fans, default in the tune was anoyying and the temp gauge never ever moves from where it's always been.
I don't see the need for extra cooling with my mods right now.

Last edited by fdjizm; 4/2/10 at 04:48 AM.
Old 4/2/10, 07:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fdjizm
I run 208/212 (I think) on my fans, default in the tune was anoyying and the temp gauge never ever moves from where it's always been.
I don't see the need for extra cooling with my mods right now.
The temp gauge (all the gauges) are buffered. They don't move from the middle unless it's way too late to do anything about it.
Old 4/3/10, 06:07 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 69Mach1-409
The temp gauge (all the gauges) are buffered. They don't move from the middle unless it's way too late to do anything about it.
say it aint so....
Old 4/8/10, 06:45 AM

The stock gauge is junk. My fan did not work after my SC install. The stock gauge never moved from the middle position. The next day I installed my triple gauge package, which included an autometer temp gauge and it showed 240 around town. Thats how I discovered the fan not working. The stock temp never moved off the middle position. My temps are set at 192, The thermostat temp and high at 205. Works for me... GA
Old 4/9/10, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Garyalpusa
The stock gauge is junk. My fan did not work after my SC install. The stock gauge never moved from the middle position. The next day I installed my triple gauge package, which included an autometer temp gauge and it showed 240 around town. Thats how I discovered the fan not working. The stock temp never moved off the middle position. My temps are set at 192, The thermostat temp and high at 205. Works for me... GA

What gauge did you install?
Old 4/10/10, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
What gauge did you install?
I used the Autometer Sport comps. Boost/Vac, Water temp and oil pressure. Mounted in an Autometer triple gauge pod. Next gauges will be a air/fuel meter and fuel pressure, mounted on the A piller. GA
Old 4/27/10, 06:00 PM

I have an 09 GT vert and put a C&L CAI in with BrenSpeed XCT3 tune and had the same issue with the fans. Talked to Dave at BrenSpeed today and he told me they do it to lower the temp, which helps with power. (I can't argue with the strategy.) But the impact in minimal and said setting it higher won't hurt the engine. So I'm doing that tonight. I've offset the "colder-is-better" loss by cutting 8 2 1/4" inch holes in the hood where the OEM scoop is located. I removed the front plug from the scoop and not it is fully functional. It's dumping more cold air on top of the manifold than any 10 radiator fans will do.
Old 5/11/10, 08:28 AM

You have to be carefull when you lower the coolant temps. The computer uses this temp for all sorts of stuff. I am not that familiar with the new spanish oak program, but I do know that in the older EEC stuff you did not get full advance until the proper coolant temp was attained. That is one reason why we used to manually set the advance. Now everything must be done thru the program, so If you change the thermostat temp I assume there should be a tuner change also. Need to speak with Chris Rose or other gurus to see what is really going on. GA

Quick Reply: Low/High Speed Fan Temps?