GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Longtubes...tune completely essential?

Search this Thread

Old 4/9/08, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longtubes...tune completely essential?

Well I'm about to order some Mac longtube headers. I know that the o2 bung sits further downstream, thus it'll lean the car out at WOT. I'm trying to figure out how significantly, and whether it is A MUST to get a retune once they're on.

Pretty simple and strait forward question..

Thanks guys!
Old 4/9/08, 02:48 PM
Cobra Member

the location of the o2 sensors dosent lean the car out, but causes the sensors to not heat up quickly and throw codes. you will need to turn them off in the tune, or get some mil eliminators. if your car does throw a code it is just related to the readiness test and it will not hurt it to drive with this code, but the light will annoy you enough to get the o2 sensors turned off in the tune.

btw mac long tubes are actually mid length headers I believe. before you order have a look at OBX. they saved me allot of cash and have been really great! just fyi.. I got mine on ebay for $500 or so delivered.

Last edited by Faber; 4/9/08 at 02:50 PM.
Old 4/9/08, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/20546.gif

They make shorty and long tubes. I'll definitely look around on Ebay.com for those headers. Although I can get those Macs for 460 through Brenspeed, and they will modify my tune that I already have from them for free.

Last edited by 07alloygt; 4/9/08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 4/9/08, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 07alloygt
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/20546.gif

They make shorty and long tubes. Where did you get your OBX headers from?
those are mid length headers. I got my OBX long tubes from ebay. just do a search for obx headers for mustang and you should find them. Great quality, and you get 2 h-ipes with them. they went right on, and fit GREAT! I re-used my stock gaskets, and everything bolted up perfectly. not say mac headers are no good or anything as i am sure they would be fine, but you might just want to give the OBX headers a look. many others have them on this board and can vouch for their quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-0...spagenameZWDVW

less than $500.00 to your door with an extra h-pipe to boot.
Old 4/9/08, 03:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Definitely will. How would you rate the fitment?
Old 4/9/08, 03:20 PM
Cobra Member

I would rate the quality at 10/10 and fitment at 10/10 and value for price at 20/10

I can't reccomend them highly enough. I was very very pleased with the quality of these headers for the price. I think these are the best out there for the money. there are headers out there that cost more than twice what these do that are exactly the same quality.
Old 4/9/08, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...eaders&page=13

this is a good thread on headers also. I posted a list of tools needed with step by step instructions for installing headers also. hope it helps!
Old 4/9/08, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey... faber , im installing OBX headers now, pass. side was a piece of cake....
driver side, i can get it in w/out removal of steering... just raised the motor, but it seems to be touching the bell housing, any tips here.... i've had it in and out, can't find the angle to keep it of the bellhousing.... massage maybe? yea, i like these headers.
Old 4/9/08, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wallace
hey... faber , im installing OBX headers now, pass. side was a piece of cake....
driver side, i can get it in w/out removal of steering... just raised the motor, but it seems to be touching the bell housing, any tips here.... i've had it in and out, can't find the angle to keep it of the bellhousing.... massage maybe? yea, i like these headers.

Good luck man. I was taking my stock H pipe off using Taco Bill's technique with removing the battery. The pass. side looks so easy.
Old 4/9/08, 04:22 PM
Cobra Member

I think mine was making contact with the bellhousing too. it didn't rattle or anything so I didn't bother messing with it. when you install the h-pipe you have some play where you can pull the pipes apart or together before you weld or u-bolt it tight ( I welded mine) I would think you could use that to leverage if you really wanted to keep it away from there. one of the other fellas that did this install actuall dinged his header where it would make contact with the steering column instead of using stiff motor mounts and he said it never rattled there (not sure I would do this but to each his own).
Old 4/9/08, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Wallace,
I can answer this question for you. I have helped install two sets of OBX headers..my 05 auto and Aircare84's 06 manual. His OBX headers also touched the bellhousing on the drivers side as you said. While my auto bellhousing had a ton of clearance. He massaged his with a Dremel tool and all is well...no big deal.
Scott
Old 4/9/08, 06:14 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Faber
those are mid length headers. I got my OBX long tubes from ebay. just do a search for obx headers for mustang and you should find them. Great quality, and you get 2 h-ipes with them. they went right on, and fit GREAT! I re-used my stock gaskets, and everything bolted up perfectly. not say mac headers are no good or anything as i am sure they would be fine, but you might just want to give the OBX headers a look. many others have them on this board and can vouch for their quality.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-0...spagenameZWDVW

less than $500.00 to your door with an extra h-pipe to boot.
Dam, does that price include the catted H?- Can you get them from anywhere else other than ebay?

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 4/9/08 at 06:20 PM.
Old 4/9/08, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
all of the above sounds good.... just need to be sure a little tweaking is all that's needed.
thanks!!
Old 4/9/08, 06:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 07alloygt
Well I'm about to order some Mac longtube headers. I know that the o2 bung sits further downstream, thus it'll lean the car out at WOT. I'm trying to figure out how significantly, and whether it is A MUST to get a retune once they're on.

Pretty simple and strait forward question..

Thanks guys!
Yes, faber has the right idea but not completely. The reason you have to have your tune adjusted, and not completely redynotuned, is the FRONT 02's are further down in the exhaust and the signal from them is now further away from the cylinder so it takes longer for the exhaust to reach them and this has to be taken into account for in the tune or you'll get the P0133 O2 sensor slow response code. You MUST have your tunes set up for longtubes but like I said you dont require a new tune or even Dynotune just because you installed the Longtube headers if you already have a custom tune from a custom tuning dealer.

The 02 sensor eliminators are for the Rear 02 sensors which only monitor how well the converters are working and they can be removed, especially with a tune and you dont have to buy the MIL eliminators if you have a tune for this.

Thanks Doug.
Old 4/9/08, 08:27 PM
Cobra Member

Well most of my ideas are not right completely.....I am a little..

Last edited by Faber; 4/9/08 at 08:29 PM.
Old 4/9/08, 10:29 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much do these LT's and catted h change the sound. I don't want the sound of my exhaust to change too much. I have a set of macs right here but I can always take them back
Old 4/10/08, 08:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
How much do these LT's and catted h change the sound. I don't want the sound of my exhaust to change too much. I have a set of macs right here but I can always take them back
Sonic, it will change your exhaust sound ALOT, trust me! My car sounds insane now (and I LOVE IT!!!), with my AR L/Ts, catted H, and Stingers. Got a sound clip below. Move the mouse cursor over the LBI link below and click on it for a video with my car passing by the person filming. Its from a car show/cruise last fall. My car comes in at 30 seconds from the start of the video (blue/white stripes). And I wasn't really on it either. Crank up the volume.

LBI cruise to lighthouse

Last edited by 05fordgt; 4/10/08 at 08:39 AM.
Old 4/10/08, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Doug904
Yes, faber has the right idea but not completely. The reason you have to have your tune adjusted, and not completely redynotuned, is the FRONT 02's are further down in the exhaust and the signal from them is now further away from the cylinder so it takes longer for the exhaust to reach them and this has to be taken into account for in the tune or you'll get the P0133 O2 sensor slow response code. You MUST have your tunes set up for longtubes but like I said you dont require a new tune or even Dynotune just because you installed the Longtube headers if you already have a custom tune from a custom tuning dealer.

The 02 sensor eliminators are for the Rear 02 sensors which only monitor how well the converters are working and they can be removed, especially with a tune and you dont have to buy the MIL eliminators if you have a tune for this.

Thanks Doug.

Thanks for clearing things up Doug, this makes a lot of sense. I will have the tuner turn off my rear o2's anyway since I have an offroad H.

Faber, it's odd because Mac's site claims those headers are long tubes. Not saying you're wrong, but it's just odd.
http://www.macperformance.com/store/...ategory_ID=937
Old 4/10/08, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

I was going to go with mac headers before i found out about the obx headers. I called tillman and CR told me they were having trouble with sourcing for their h-pipe with highflow cats because of the mid length of the headers. I went with obx because they were true long tubes with a good collector and scavenging spikes. good luck with whatever you go with. I just wanted to give you another option that in my opinion is much better as well as cheaper.
Old 4/10/08, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Faber
I was going to go with mac headers before i found out about the obx headers. I called tillman and CR told me they were having trouble with sourcing for their h-pipe with highflow cats because of the mid length of the headers. I went with obx because they were true long tubes with a good collector and scavenging spikes. good luck with whatever you go with. I just wanted to give you another option that in my opinion is much better as well as cheaper.

Yeah, no definitely appreciate it. I've done a lot of research on the OBX since you recomended them. I will most likely go that route.

Quick Reply: Longtubes...tune completely essential?