GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Longtubes and stock Ford mufflers...

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/08, 10:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longtubes and stock Ford mufflers...

Right now I'm running SLP Loudmouth axle-backs on my 07. I love the sound, but I've been thinking about picking up a set of OBX longtube headers with the O/R h-pipe sometime this spring / summer, and I really don't want my exhaust to be any louder than it already is. I'm thinking that I'll probably just throw my stock mufflers back on the car if I go the header route, in order to tone down the sound, and also to sell the SLP's to offset the cost of the headers (poor college student).

Now I remember seeing that with the stock manifolds and cats, an axle-back won't net you any HP gains at all, but what about if you're running L/T's and an O/R pipe? Will the increase in flow be BADLY bottlenecked at the over-axle pipes and A/B's? Will it be a minor 2/3 HP choke? Or am I just being paranoid about this, and the stock mufflers flow enough for the addition of L/T's?
Old 4/29/08, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

The stock mufflers will flow fine. Maybe you'll notice a difference if you have forced induction, but not NA. As for the sound... I bet LTs with an OR H-pipe will be LOUD. I'm running Kooks LTs with their catted H and the factory axle backs and I think it sounds just about perfect. Considerably louder than stock but not obnoxious.
Old 4/29/08, 02:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Keystone, have you heard any other exhausts in person that you could compare the volume level to? I have only personally experienced the stock system, the Stingers, and the LM's in person. I first had the Stingers (actually Steeda axle-back, but same system), and they weren't aggressive enough IMO, so I changed them out for the LM's. I can't see the LTs with stock exhaust being louder than the LM's... the OBX system does have resonators built into the h-pipe, which would probably help as well.
Old 4/29/08, 03:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How Well do Stock Mufflers Flow?? Look here an see. ( 1 2)
2k05gt
How Well do Stock Mufflers Flow?? Look here an see.
said it before...... i'll say it again KEEP THE STOCKERS !!! or at least start at mid-pipe or longtubes as you suggested. OBX is an excellent choice and yes, you will also have the h-pipe w/ resiniators. that should keep the volume in a comfortable place. check out the link.... from guys who have kept the stock muffs.

Last edited by wallace; 4/29/08 at 03:07 PM.
Old 4/29/08, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks wallace, good info in that link.