GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Longtube Headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 9/30/08, 08:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GT500
awesome info guys. really appreciate it. Another question. I heard on the forums that LT headers only give u noticeable gains if ur car is blown or if u already have crazy hp. is this true or should i just say screw it and get em anyway?
Hey dude, with longtubes (catted H), Airad CAI, and a custom dyno tune from CR @ Tillman, I got 302 rwhp (equates to 350 flywheel). A worthy upgrade!!
Old 9/30/08, 10:05 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whether or not you have emissions testing in your area might merit some consideration.

LT's even w/ high-flo cats could fail you if they check for that kinda thing (visual inspection).

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 9/30/08 at 11:51 AM.
Old 9/30/08, 10:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys, the bbk LT's with catted x pipe will pass inspections... no codes or readings to turn off.... they utilize all 4 02 sensors....
Old 9/30/08, 02:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
hey guys, the bbk LT's with catted x pipe will pass inspections... no codes or readings to turn off.... they utilize all 4 02 sensors....
As does the American Racing Headers. My car uses all 4 02 sensors as well. And it does pass visual inspection, as the hi-flows are cats. In PA, we have emissions inspection EVERY YEAR!! It passed last year, and will do it again next March.
Old 9/30/08, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

NOW HERE THIS!!! CR.. if you are reading this, do you install long tube headers and all that good stuff? I was reading about folk needing to clear the steering rack or something like that. If so, I will call for a price to include installation and another dyno tune. Then I promise to hold off on the mods for a little while.
Old 9/30/08, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Jeff, where did you purchase your exhaust set-up?? I gotta have cats too. And who installed it for you? Man I am hot hot pursuit of those headers and hi-flow cats. Thing is, I been thinking about staying with the stock mufflers. I've searched and haven't found a video yet
Old 9/30/08, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
Jeff, where did you purchase your exhaust set-up?? I gotta have cats too. And who installed it for you? Man I am hot hot pursuit of those headers and hi-flow cats. Thing is, I been thinking about staying with the stock mufflers. I've searched and haven't found a video yet
I dont know where Jeff bought them from, but he had them installed at Tillman Speed in Aston, PA. Tillman is amazing and have my business for life. There's a a thread out there that CR from Tillman constantly updates with the DYNO spec sheets. I know mine is on there and theres tons of others, and you can see what everyone results are with their different mods are and etc.

Last edited by CrazyGreek89; 9/30/08 at 06:59 PM.
Old 9/30/08, 04:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i installed mine on my own....

with the bbk's theres no need to touch the steering rod thing... they slide right by. i got my tunes emailed to me from brenspeed in advance that way i had them for when i got the car done....
Old 9/30/08, 04:43 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

+1 for bbk's
Old 9/30/08, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by shwaco1967
Hey dude, I got my longtubes from CR! Also did the work in tuning them as well. The Borla's I had them on since the car was new. My dealership was able to get them in for me from a vendor.

As for video? I got something that may help out. I have several clips below of videos taken by friends. They should get you amped up for longtubes. The tunnel is A BLAST TO DRIVE THROUGH!!!

Now, I do have some clips below of what the car sounds like.

Video #1. Its from a show at CVS in LBI New Jersey ast year. One of my club's members (Tina) filmed all the cars heading up to the Lighthouse, and we got to hear on the video all the different exhausts. My car comes into the screen at 30 seconds in. Really a cool video:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1345513/4641878

Video #2, was taken by Karen, another member. This was in the Lehigh Tunnel in PA, coming back from the MCA show in Canada. I had a little fun in there! A "flyby" passing her car.

http://i262.photobucket.com/player.s...M/SDC10664.flv

And Video #3, is a quick one. A downshift, and throttle blip!

http://i262.photobucket.com/player.s...M/SDC10665.flv

For anyone who is contemplating this modification? DO IT!! YOU WON'T BE SORRY!
Old 9/30/08, 06:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went from 322HP to 348 after adding JBA longtubes and o/r h-pipe...sound with Mac axleback is awesome...

John
Old 9/30/08, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jwgroovin
I went from 322HP to 348 after adding JBA longtubes and o/r h-pipe...sound with Mac axleback is awesome...

John
What else do you have on the car besides the MAC's, JBA's, H pipe and cams?
Old 10/1/08, 01:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
I dont know where Jeff bought them from, but he had them installed at Tillman Speed in Aston, PA. Tillman is amazing and have my business for life. There's a a thread out there that CR from Tillman constantly updates with the DYNO spec sheets. I know mine is on there and theres tons of others, and you can see what everyone results are with their different mods are and etc.
Oh indeed Tillman has my biz for life too. I'm always gonna make it a day to get work by them and my dyno sheet is right there with yours. Man I cannot wait to get back down to get my exhaust setup installed. This is one mod I will not sleep on.
Old 10/1/08, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey dude, I got my longtubes from CR! Also did the work in tuning them as well. The Borla's I had them on since the car was new. My dealership was able to get them in for me from a vendor.

As for video? I got something that may help out. I have several clips below of videos taken by friends. They should get you amped up for longtubes. The tunnel is A BLAST TO DRIVE THROUGH!!!

Now, I do have some clips below of what the car sounds like.

Video #1. Its from a show at CVS in LBI New Jersey ast year. One of my club's members (Tina) filmed all the cars heading up to the Lighthouse, and we got to hear on the video all the different exhausts. My car comes into the screen at 30 seconds in. Really a cool video:

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/1345513/4641878

Video #2, was taken by Karen, another member. This was in the Lehigh Tunnel in PA, coming back from the MCA show in Canada. I had a little fun in there! A "flyby" passing her car.

http://i262.photobucket.com/player.s...M/SDC10664.flv

And Video #3, is a quick one. A downshift, and throttle blip!

http://i262.photobucket.com/player.s...M/SDC10665.flv

For anyone who is contemplating this modification? DO IT!! YOU WON'T BE SORRY!
Jeff, thanks for the vids man. It was intoxicating seeing EVERY generation of Stang go by.. Even a "II" in which I love also.(hatchbacks) And yeah, I saw you showing off.
Old 10/1/08, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

[quote=n8rfastback;5645112]i installed mine on my own....

with the bbk's theres no need to touch the steering rod thing... they slide right by. i got my tunes emailed to me from brenspeed in advance that way i had them for when i got the car done....[/quote

That's good to know about the BBK's clearing the steering rod because I've read stories on how folk had to dent them to clear the rod. As long as they make that sweet Mustang sound, it's all good. Thanks for the info guys. You can best believe I'm writing all of this down. Whew... So many decisions.
Old 10/1/08, 01:39 PM

Heres another dumb question for u guys but would I need to get a tuner if I got a full MAC exhaust setup (axleback, prochamber, LT's)? im asking all these questions because Im kinda strapped for cash. Mind u Im only a poor college student! lol
Old 10/1/08, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

Heres another dumb question for u guys but would I need to get a tuner if I got a full MAC exhaust setup (axleback, prochamber, LT's)? im asking all these questions because Im kinda strapped for cash. Mind u Im only a poor college student! lol

I think it would be in your best interest to.
Old 10/1/08, 03:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

yes, if you get long tubes you will need a tune....
Old 10/1/08, 04:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by CrazyGreek89
What else do you have on the car besides the MAC's, JBA's, H pipe and cams?
Well, here's the WHOLE list of everything, geared to a NA street/strip car. I'm not listing non-performance oriented gear :

-Exhaust-
Mac axleback muffler
JBA h-pipe
JBA titanium coated longtube headers

-Engine-
C&L cold air intake with custom SCT XCAL2, 93 octane (Woodbine Motorsports)
Comp Stage III cams, springs, retainers
Steeda underdrive pullies

-Drivetrain-
Spec II+ clutch
Spec steel flywheel
Spydershaft Aluminum driveshaft
Lakewood front driveshaft loop
FRPP 4.10 gears
MGW shifter with Hurst ball handle

-Suspension-
BMR strut tower brace
BMR boxed lower control arms and relocation brackets
BMR adjustable upper control arm
BMR tubular k-member
BMR radiator support/front swaybar delete bracket
BMR Xtreme Antiroll Bar
QA-1 10 way adjustable race shocks
Steeda springs

-Wheels and Tires (Street)-
18" AFS Mach 1 wheels (18x9")
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires 275/40-18 at all 4 corners

-Wheels and Tires (Track)-
17" Bullitt Wheel replicas (17x9")
Mickey Thompson 26X11.50-17 ET Streets (26") or
Mickey Thompson 295/45R17 ET Street Radials (27")

-Interior-
Raptor shift light
S&S A-pillar dual gauge pod
Autometer air/fuel ratio gauge
Autometer water temperature gauge
Old 10/1/08, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Do you NEED a tune? Likely no, but should you get one to optimize performance? Yes.

Quick Reply: Longtube Headers worth it?