GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Longtube Headers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/08, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Longtube Headers worth it?

I have a 05 GT and am wanting to upgrade my exhaust. Im pretty sold on MAC axlebacks and i was wondering if I should bother with longtube headers? I plan on replacing the midpipe to either a prochamber or O/R H pipe and whether i get longtubes or not dictates wut size midpipe i should buy. While we are at it, is there any advantage to prochamber over O/R H besides sound? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 9/29/08, 01:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have longtubes and i would never think twice about buying them again... way worth it..

the sound is killer and the gains are worth it. probably the second best mod next to intake and tune.

your probably not going to like any O/R setup if your into exhaust sound at all.... no cats means killer rasp, ask any one of the many guys on here who has changed back from O/R setups cause they sound nasty

on that note, prochambers sound killer..... but its their unique design that makes it possible...
Old 9/29/08, 01:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
i have longtubes and i would never think twice about buying them again... way worth it..
Don't regret it for a second! Mean growl and solid power gains...what else could you ask for?

(Besides a blower)
Old 9/29/08, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've heard the full MAC setup (including prochamber) on an 05, it sounds sicks!
Old 9/29/08, 03:09 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

LT's ftw, only way to go dont waist your money just get them
Old 9/29/08, 03:22 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Absolutely worth it. I get more compliments on the sound of the car than on the car itself. I wouldn't think twice about doing it again, even though I installed them by myself in about 10 hours. It is still worth it. Just don't ask me to take them off.
Old 9/29/08, 03:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

i did mine with 4 buddies in about 5 hours
Old 9/29/08, 04:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had them on my 06 and loved them. I'd do it all over again just for the sound alone!!!!!!!!! Power gains are good and they look great........much better than the crappy stock pieces of S*%t.
Old 9/29/08, 04:09 PM
V6 Member

I've got them and love them. I went with off road x-pipe, and like the posts above it was really loud and raspy. So I ended up getting resonators and changed mufflers. If I could do it again, I would get hi-flo cats. Plus from everything I've seen the off roads won't net you much more power than the hi-flo cats.
Old 9/29/08, 04:16 PM

I agree with everyone else above. I've got a set of JBA long tubes w/an offroad x-pipe & Roush mufflers. I get so many compliments on the sound and the power increase is very obvious.
Old 9/29/08, 05:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Absolutely worth it. I get more compliments on the sound of the car than on the car itself. I wouldn't think twice about doing it again, even though I installed them by myself in about 10 hours. It is still worth it. Just don't ask me to take them off.
You have ARH LTs correct? What axlebacks are you running? I had to look at your post history to find out what headers you had, lol.
Old 9/29/08, 06:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

if you do your research on the high flow cats youll see that the stockers flow more than enough for long tubes and even FI setups....

i only went with high flow cats cause i wanted to keep cats and the x pipe i got mated as a pair with the bbk long tubes
Old 9/29/08, 07:32 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimp
You have ARH LTs correct? What axlebacks are you running? I had to look at your post history to find out what headers you had, lol.
I've got the Kooks LT's with catted x-pipe. I got mine from Brenspeed as that is where I got my CAI and tuner, that way Brent just shot me a free upgraded tune for the headers. Essentially only turning of the O2 sensors downstream I believe. The setup was more costly than some, but the fitment was great, I changed the motor mounts to the prothanes when I did it. I've got zero rub issues on the steering column or anywhere else unlike some others who have had to ping flat spots on the headers for clearance. I honestly would do it exactly the same again.

BTW Brent now has the catted h pipe as well for a little deeper rumble.

BTW I'm also running Borla Stingers and yes it does sound sick with the 93 Race tune. Unfortunately I have no video clips, but I will make them eventually. Need a camcorder first.
Old 9/29/08, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bud, all I can say, is GET THEM ASAP!!! I've had AR Longtube headers, with their (at the time) new H-pipe with hi-flow cats! Add a set of Borla Stingers, and all I can say about the sound is !!! IT SOUNDS SICK!!! After I got my longtubes and got CR to tune the car last year, 6 members from my Mustang Club, got them after me. I would NEVER, EVER go back to a stock cat/muffler setup!! My car sounds like a true old-school Muscle Car, and I LOVE IT!!! Like 2K7 mentioned, you will get more compliments on the sound alone!!

Here's a good one for you..At All-Ford Carlisle this year, I visited the American Racing Headers tent, to say hello to Nick, and Georgie (the owner and partner of AR). Georgie was chatting with a nice couple who own a 2007 GT. They mentioned they had Borla exhaust but needed to hear the system before spending the money. I told them I had AR setup and if they wanted to hear them, to walk over to my car. I would start it up so they could hear it. As soon as I started it, both the husband's and wife's eyes lit up! They were loving it!!! Said to me "that's what we been looking for". They walked back and ordered the system!! And before I left the tent, I gave Georgie my number, just in case anyone wanted to hear their setup. Funny, as 10 minutes later, my phone rings, and another fellow calls. Wants to hear them. Sold another set, as he also has Stingers, and said longtubes were EXACTLY what he wanted! So, just order them and get used to NOT listening to your radio. The exhaust sounds THAT GOOD!!!

Oh, and the power gains aren't bad either CR at Tillman got me 302rwhp with just the headers and Airaid, and tune to tie it all togther. Thats 350 flywheel, or 50 more than stock!!! A WORTHY UPGRADE!!!

Hey bud, I can get you some video clips from another site of my car. One was going through the Lehigh Tunnel in PA. HOLY **** is all I can say!!!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 9/29/08 at 09:48 PM.
Old 9/29/08, 11:05 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you bet your bonnet
Old 9/29/08, 11:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I love my MAC LTs and O/R Prochamber.
Old 9/30/08, 12:40 AM

awesome info guys. really appreciate it. Another question. I heard on the forums that LT headers only give u noticeable gains if ur car is blown or if u already have crazy hp. is this true or should i just say screw it and get em anyway?
Old 9/30/08, 08:17 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Yeah I think they say you can get 10-15 hp from em, but either way you should do em
Old 9/30/08, 08:26 AM
Cobra Member

I would do them for the sound alone...
Old 9/30/08, 08:46 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GT500
I have a 05 GT and am wanting to upgrade my exhaust. Im pretty sold on MAC axlebacks and i was wondering if I should bother with longtube headers? I plan on replacing the midpipe to either a prochamber or O/R H pipe and whether i get longtubes or not dictates wut size midpipe i should buy. While we are at it, is there any advantage to prochamber over O/R H besides sound? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
You should DEFINITELY bother with it. The install was somewhat of a pain, but well worth it at the end! I wouldn't have it any other way. I got the OBXs, brings 2 different H pipes you can choose from for under $500. Can't beat that.
Sound and performance, totally awesome!

Quick Reply: Longtube Headers worth it?