I'm doing it
Old 12/30/05, 06:04 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Double flare tool

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...15&autoview=sku

tube bender

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...03&autoview=sku

George do you need a special tubing cutter to cut the lines?
Old 12/30/05, 07:01 PM

I have a dremel, I'll cut the lines with a cutoff wheel. Wil the sparks from the dremel cutoff ignite the brake fluid? That's a good tip with the duct tape.

I plan on making a racing control box for inside the car. It will be a small 5" long by 4" wide by 1.5" tall metal box (or something close to that, www.tentec.com has nice boxes that I use for work). I'll make a plug terminal behind the glove box. The box will have a cable which will plug into this terminal under the dash. On the box I'll have toggle switches for line lock arm, line lock activation, and low speed fan. I'll also put indicator lights for all of them. I will look sweet. I don't want to be drilling holes in my center consoles for switches. I'll make it so it's held in the cup holder. It'll be my little black box.
Old 12/30/05, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dustin,just wait a little bit and i will help you do your line locks.I am going to do mine .So you can do yours right aside of mine with my help and tools.
I have not been on here lately do to working hard and trying to buy a new House with a huge garage........
Old 12/30/05, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

That control box sounds like a great idea. Can't wait for pics. Good luck with the solenoid mod work.
Old 12/31/05, 02:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

with that setup on my car, it would see a LOT of water. would that present any issues?
Old 12/31/05, 08:57 AM
Bullitt Member

LOL...pontoons

Thanks guys, Im going to tackle this myself as well. Very, very useful thread!

Nice Idea with the box Dustin.
Old 12/31/05, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by nonsensez9@December 31, 2005, 4:32 AM
with that setup on my car, it would see a LOT of water. would that present any issues?
I don't think so. 12V DC is kind of funny. You could drop your car battery in a swimming pool and it won't do anything. Just use a lot of electrical tape on the joints and you're good to go. I'm not going to use any crimp connections on the wires in the engine bay. I'm going to solder everything.

Just some advice, don't ever buy one of those cold heat soldering irons, they don't solder for s@#$

I'm starting to like the control box idea more and more. I think I'm going to start building it now so you guys can start copying it. I just need to work out placement and what size I need.
Old 12/31/05, 11:47 AM

That would be a good idea too, the adhesive backed shrink tube would be ideal. I'm glad somebody's thinking here.

I'm going to wait to hook up my oil pressure and water temp gauges too. I'll run the wires the same time I do the line locks. I'll hook up my oil pressure sending unit the next time I change my oil. It taps into the same hole in the oil pan where the stock one is right? You just tee it off? I haven't ordered the gauges yet and don't know what the sending unit looks like. Is there a special type of tee fittings I should use?

Mike you going to hook up gauges?
Old 12/31/05, 12:10 PM

I'm going to use the red safety covered toggle switches for the low speed fan and line lock master arm. What should I use for activating the line locks? Toggle switch? Push button switch? For a push button, I don't know if it should be maintained or momentary. I think maintained would be better so I wouldn't have to hold it down.

I think I'm going to use red indicator lights for the line lock master arm and low speed fan. I'll use a green one for when the line locks are on.
Old 1/1/06, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by dustindu4@December 31, 2005, 11:13 AM
For a push button, I don't know if it should be maintained or momentary. I think maintained would be better so I wouldn't have to hold it down.
I would go the opposite. I only want line lock engaged while I'm holding the button. That's easy enough to do during a burnout, and there is no risk of accidental (or prolonged) engagement. Just my 2 pennies...
Old 1/1/06, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

can you hook up the switch to a spiral cable that plugs in under the dash using something like a phone jack? Is that what you're going after with the control box? It would be nice to stash it away when not in use. I like that cup holder idea, nice and close to the shifter.

As for the line lock switch, it's probably quicker to release a momentary switch than a toggle if you're using it for launching off the line.
Old 1/1/06, 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@December 31, 2005, 3:13 PM
I'm going to use the red safety covered toggle switches for the low speed fan and line lock master arm. What should I use for activating the line locks? Toggle switch? Push button switch? For a push button, I don't know if it should be maintained or momentary. I think maintained would be better so I wouldn't have to hold it down.

I think I'm going to use red indicator lights for the line lock master arm and low speed fan. I'll use a green one for when the line locks are on.
Me, I would either make it a button that you have to hold down, or a toggle switch with a safety cover. Both of these would look fine under the headlight controls, and nicely tucked away. As for lights, i would use red only when the line locks are engaged, and have no light on when they are not.
Old 1/1/06, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by nonsensez9@January 1, 2006, 7:03 PM
can you hook up the switch to a spiral cable that plugs in under the dash using something like a phone jack? Is that what you're going after with the control box?
Phone lines can't handle the amperage. I'm not a fan of my car catching on fire. I was going to use Tyco CPC connectors

http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=104.pdf
Old 1/1/06, 10:08 PM

I was thinking about just running it direct from the fuse box using a mini fuse add-a-line. How many amps does the roll control use? It can't be that much.

Quick Reply: Line Locks