GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Limited slip groan - to those who have fixed yourself....

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/06, 08:03 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Limited slip groan - to those who have fixed yourself....

Placing this here instead of warranty section for people who might have already fixed this and not frequent the Warranty thread currently......

To those who fixed the rear end groan by adding the Motorcraft XL-3 Friction Modifier themselves..... just how did you install the modifier to the rear end?

I am stopping by my local delaership on the way home to grab me a bottle and wanted to get a jump on the process from an person who has already done it.....
Old 9/6/06, 08:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1) Jack up the driver's side of the car.
2) On the front side of the differential, on the driver's side towards the top, there is an access hole that has a threaded cover to remove by using a rachet.
3) Remove the cover, insert the XL3, reinstall the cover and lower the car.
4) Drive, enjoy!
Old 9/6/06, 08:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I have this noise. It sounds aweful like something is rubbing when I make a sharp turn going 15mph or so....is that it?

Do you need a funnel or anything to got the stuff in or does the bottle have a pointed type tip. How much do you put...one full bottle?
Old 9/6/06, 09:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yep, that's the noise, NOLAGT. I got my bottles of XL-3 online from eBay (I live in the sticks and going to the dealer is a pain). They did not come with tips. If getting it from your dealer, ask if they have any tips to go with the bottle, it will be easy if you have those. Because I did not have tips, I had to use a hose and funnel to pour the XL-3 in.
Old 9/6/06, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
I think I have this noise. It sounds aweful like something is rubbing when I make a sharp turn going 15mph or so....is that it?
I too have that noise just as you described. I have the 3.55 limited slip axle. Sorry I missed the earlier thread. Is this an issue that the dealer and fomoco already know about, and I just have to mention it to them?
Old 9/6/06, 09:04 AM
Cobra Member

IIRC - the friction modifier is a small bottle - 4 oz....so you should be OK adding it without having to drain any of the existing fluid. I changed my diff fluid a couple of years ago on an all wheel drive Explorer and had to add the friction modifier.

Burke - thanks for posting this here as I would have missed it in the warranty section and just curious.....would it hurt anything to add the friction modifier <just in case> ?
Old 9/6/06, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im going to have to try it out....the noise is loud and embarasing when im trying to park or drive through a parking lot lol.
Old 9/6/06, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ok. i found the TSB. But i have an 07. I'm hoping this TSB will apply for me too.
Old 9/6/06, 10:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

I fixed my car using the friction modifier. It had the same groan while turning, very annoying. You can fix it one of two ways.
1) Fix it yourself with the small bottle of friction modifier
2) Complain to the dealer about the TSB and get them to install the updated clutch pack for the limited slip rear end. Beware, however, that the revised clutch pack appears to have thinner clutch material so they rub less. (according to several other members on this forum) It does fix the problem, but it requires a visit to the dealer, and possibly a hassle at the service dept.

I recommend just getting the $5 bottle of XL-3 from your dealer and doing it yourself. It was fairly easy and fixed it right up.
Old 9/6/06, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Dave,

My stang started making the noise at around 500 miles. I added a bottle of friction modifier and the noise immediately disappeared. That was almost a year and a half ago, and all is still quiet. I didn't have a funnel with hose handy, so I just took a piece of cardboard and rolled it so the small end would fit just inside the filler plug opening, which worked just as good. My stang has a little less than 4K miles on her now.

BTW, Bought a new 2006 V6 for Sharon last week..
Attached Thumbnails Limited slip groan - to those who have fixed yourself....-dsc02496.jpg   Limited slip groan - to those who have fixed yourself....-dsc02498.jpg  
Old 9/6/06, 04:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Here's a pretty good thread on the subject- this is where I got my info from. http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=10667

Tom
Old 9/6/06, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Dave,

My stang started making the noise at around 500 miles. I added a bottle of friction modifier and the noise immediately disappeared. That was almost a year and a half ago, and all is still quiet. I didn't have a funnel with hose handy, so I just took a piece of cardboard and rolled it so the small end would fit just inside the filler plug opening, which worked just as good. My stang has a little less than 4K miles on her now.

SoFl05gt - lucky lady and nice looking Mustang....what are those drops all over the car......don't see much of that here in SoCal
Old 9/6/06, 08:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
SoFl05gt - lucky lady and nice looking Mustang....what are those drops all over the car......don't see much of that here in SoCal
It has rained every day for a couple weeks now.
Old 9/6/06, 09:14 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by SoFL05GT
Dave,

SWEET man!!!!
Are you bringing both or just your BLACK to the cruise this weekend?
Old 9/6/06, 09:15 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally Posted by tom281
1) Jack up the driver's side of the car.
2) On the front side of the differential, on the driver's side towards the top, there is an access hole that has a threaded cover to remove by using a rachet.
3) Remove the cover, insert the XL3, reinstall the cover and lower the car.
4) Drive, enjoy!

Tom/ Mark and everyone else - thanks for the input!
I really appreciate it. Yeah it is QUITE the annoying noise when parking

And I wanna do this myself - no dealer service guy is getting near my ride, at least not yet.....
Old 9/7/06, 05:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Burke0011
SWEET man!!!!
Are you bringing both or just your BLACK to the cruise this weekend?
Bringing the Black.
Old 9/7/06, 05:59 PM
V6 Member

I wouldn't just add friction modifer to the rear end. There are updated parts your dealer can install that will fix the noise. Your rear end already has friction modifier in it, and adding the second bottle can thin out the gear oil too much. Thin gear oil means premature bearing failures and more chance of gear noise.
Old 9/7/06, 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

The updated clutch pack is thinner clutch material (so I've been told anyway) I'd rather stick with the thicker clutches and use some extra XL-3. Just my opinion though.
Old 9/7/06, 07:31 PM
Big Falken Tires

Well got under the car a few hours ago and did the deed - took it for a quick spin around the parking lot and the sound seems to have gone bye-bye. Drive to work and praking tomorrow at the job will be the test......
Old 9/7/06, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Hope the sound stays gone

Quick Reply: Limited slip groan - to those who have fixed yourself....