GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Lentech Assessment of '05 Mustang GT's Automatic T

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05, 10:16 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sent an e-mail to Lentech, inquiring about developing parts for the 5-speed automatic transmission being used in the 2005 Mustang. Lentech's reply was:

"We are currently developing a stronger input shaft for this trans.

This transmission is much weaker than the 4R70W, so it ultimately will be very limited."

I sent Lentech a follow-up e-mail, asking if they were planning any other mods for this transmission. Here is their follow-up reply:

"We were given 2 units by Ford almost 2 years ago to R&D and were very disappointed with the design.

We will work on a "Larger" diameter shaft in the future, but it's gunna be a complicated undertaking."

So, there's the word from someone who really DOES know something about this transmission. Unfortunately, the word on this transmission is not very encouraging.

My inquiry into this subject started when I e-mailed Whipple Superchargers as to whether the supercharger they have developed for the 2005 Mustang GT can be used on the automatic transmission equipped cars as well as the 5-speed manual transmission models. Here is the reply I received from them:

"The auto tranny is certainly not good for 475hp, it's pushing it at 400hp. We will release the manual kit first and will follow with the automatic transmission kit which will have more torque management, less boost and lower power so the trans will live. If you can find an upgrade for the trans, then we can give you more power, but the standard auto SC system will be de-tuned for reliability.

The factory engine is fine for the kit, we've designed it around 91 octane or better, as long as you keep this in it, you'll be fine."

Whipple sent me a brief follow-up note on this, as follows:

"We will have durability test done on the auto once the manual is released so
we can make it as safe as possible. Hopefully some of the other aftermarket
companies will jump on the trans issue."

Given all of this background, I am throwing this out for discussion. I'm sure that there are going to be a LOT of '05 Mustang GT owners like me out there. That is, with the automatic transmission, but looking for some extra horsepower. I've seen precious little in any of the various Mustang forums out there on this issue. Let's get the ball rolling on it and see what we can find out!
Old 3/18/05, 11:54 AM
Bullitt Member

We will work on a "Larger" diameter shaft in the future, but it's gunna be a complicated undertaking."
Gunna

The aftermarket will catch up. People predicted the end of the performance automatic when the AOD first came out also. There were many that said it could not be upgraded and people were swapping them out for c4/c6's all the time. Now you can build a decent AOD, it did take a while though.
Old 3/18/05, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by new22003@March 18, 2005, 1:57 PM
Gunna

The aftermarket will catch up. People predicted the end of the performance automatic when the AOD first came out also. There were many that said it could not be upgraded and people were swapping them out for c4/c6's all the time. Now you can build a decent AOD, it did take a while though.
Yep, gunna. Direct quote. But hey, I know what they meant.

I agree, I'm sure the aftermarket will catch up to this in time. In the meantime, I'm figuring on keeping the mods on my'stang on the conservative side. I know that Alternative Auto Performance has an '05 Mustang GT automatic test mule. I wonder what goodies they'll come up with?
Old 3/18/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

worse then the 4r70w ....didnt know that was possible :scratch: ...well leave it to ford to make a crappy auto tranny
Old 3/18/05, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by slegos888@March 18, 2005, 1:22 PM
worse then the 4r70w ....didnt know that was possible :scratch: ...well leave it to ford to make a crappy auto tranny
What do you mean? The 4R70-W is a very capable tranny, ecpecially when built properly, which doesn't cost much at all...I upgraded my AOD (after toasting 3 of them :bang: ) with one and it has performed flawlessly...
Old 3/18/05, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by slegos888@March 18, 2005, 1:22 PM
The 4R70W is a very strong transmission, at least as far as handling power goes. It's very stout. I'm sure the new transmission will be fine for those who only do minor/bolt ons, which is a vast majority of people.
Old 3/18/05, 05:02 PM
FR500 Member

Strength alone doesn't mean a transmission is crappy. I'm sorry but I will disagree that this is a crappy transmission. I say that this is THE BEST auto tranny the Mustang has ever seen.

Lentec know's what they're talking about for sure, but ask yourself this: What does Lentec do? They make racing transmissions.

400 H.P. is more than you can do with bolt-ons.

I'll agree that nobody knows what they're dealing with yet, give it time...possibly a couple of years, and I'll bet you there will be plenty of auto tranny solutions for this thing.

It's performance as is, is the best ever.

If you're that concerned and want to put a blower on it right now, sell it, and buy an 07 Cobra
Old 3/19/05, 07:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 18, 2005, 7:05 PM
Strength alone doesn't mean a transmission is crappy. I'm sorry but I will disagree that this is a crappy transmission. I say that this is THE BEST auto tranny the Mustang has ever seen.

Lentec know's what they're talking about for sure, but ask yourself this: What does Lentec do? They make racing transmissions.

I'll agree that nobody knows what they're dealing with yet, give it time...possibly a couple of years, and I'll bet you there will be plenty of auto tranny solutions for this thing.

If you're that concerned and want to put a blower on it right now, sell it, and buy an 07 Cobra
Yes, I agree with what you're saying. From what I've read, it is best performing automatic transmission ever built. I'm sure it will work beautifully for me. Like you said, 400 hp is more than you can do with bolt-ons. I figure I'll keep to simple bolt-ons with this one, and keep the power output below that level.

You also sound like me fiance. She's been saying the same thing about trading it on an '07 Cobra.

I think I'll be just fine with it as is for now. It's still the best-performing car I'll ever have had.
Old 3/19/05, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 18, 2005, 6:05 PM

OR...just get the manual and be done with it ....just fooling around - but this is the SAME transmission that the Lincoln LS has had since 2000 and we had all the same issues with it - slow to respond, lag, we even had a neutral rev limiter that would not allow the engine to rev past 2800RPM's so you couldn't do neutral slams and toast the tranny (not that I would do a slam -but I'm sure some would) and the real reason for this tranny in the 1st place was it was compact and light weight - both primary concerns for the LS platform when it was being developed. One of the Ford tranny engineers was part of our forum and she stated the same - that this tranny was not meant for serious power applications (LS has 280hp). It was revised on the '03 LS models - but proved to have the same issues as the previous version.....not a bad tranny for what it is - but not really intened for serious power and like many modern transmissions - it thinks too much.....it was one of the primary reasons I gave up the LS at 41K miles and traded for a manual Mustang -
Old 3/19/05, 08:33 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@March 19, 2005, 7:47 AM
We had all the same issues with it - slow to respond, lag, we even had a neutral rev limiter that would not allow the engine to rev past 2800RPM's so you couldn't do neutral slams and toast the tranny (not that I would do a slam -but I'm sure some would)
What I'm finding with it, it's only slow to respond after I've been trapped in gridlock for awhile. That's easily defeated by manually downshifting it.

I'll be paying attention to what Alternative Auto does to theirs for sure as they're pretty passionate about the auto and making it perform. They also plan on putting a blower on this auto powered car, we'll all see the breaking point...
Old 3/19/05, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SixtySix+March 19, 2005, 9:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SixtySix @ March 19, 2005, 9:36 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-HOTLAP@March 19, 2005, 7:47 AM
We had all the same issues with it - slow to respond, lag, we even had a neutral rev limiter that would not allow the engine to rev past 2800RPM's so you couldn't do neutral slams and toast the tranny (not that I would do a slam -but I'm sure some would)
What I'm finding with it, it's only slow to respond after I've been trapped in gridlock for awhile. That's easily defeated by manually downshifting it.

I'll be paying attention to what Alternative Auto does to theirs for sure as they're pretty passionate about the auto and making it perform. They also plan on putting a blower on this auto powered car, we'll all see the breaking point...
[/b][/quote]

Hey 66 - does your auto have the neutral rev limiter? And I was wondering about the torque converter lock up at freeway speeds....on my '01 LS it felt as if the tranny was slipping in and out of gear - nothing was wrong - just the normal feel of the torque coverter lock up - did get a bit annoying though as it would lock up then when you applied over (approx.) 25% throttle it would "slip" out of lock mode and the constant in and out in stop and go driving really impacted the driving enjoyment...curious about the new Mustang - if it has the torque converter lock and if so can you feel it?

thx
Old 3/19/05, 08:54 AM
FR500 Member

I sure can't feel the lock up at all in this one. I don't know about the neutral rev limiter though, I can't see it as a BAD thing
Old 3/19/05, 09:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 19, 2005, 9:57 AM
I sure can't feel the lock up at all in this one. I don't know about the neutral rev limiter though, I can't see it as a BAD thing

I agree - just curious - I'm going to have to drive an auto sometime and see how far along this tranny has come since it's LS days
Old 3/19/05, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

C4 is the best trans ford ever produced
Old 3/19/05, 09:12 AM
FR500 Member

Might have been strong. But it's performance blew chunks without work being done to it. 3 gears, no overdrive....no thanks!
Old 3/19/05, 09:22 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@March 19, 2005, 10:15 AM
Might have been strong. But it's performance blew chunks without work being done to it. 3 gears, no overdrive....no thanks!
Old 3/19/05, 09:33 AM
FR500 Member

You callin me stuphid or sumphin :nono:

Old 3/19/05, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

The greatest thing about the mustang is that the aftermarket is really good about tending to its needs and weaknesses. If someone wants to build 500+ horsepower and have an auto then there will be a company that makes a beefed up parts for it.

I think people are forgetting how crappy the stock AOD was in the 80's and early 90's stangs, and why you never put it behind a 500 horse 5.0 . Now you can build an AOD into a fairly decent trans and you see them in some wild cars.

Is the new 5 speed auto the best auto put in a stock mustang?
In my opinion yes.

Is the new 5 speed the strongest auto ford ever built.
No.
Old 3/19/05, 09:44 AM
FR500 Member

Old 3/19/05, 10:01 AM
Bullitt Member

lets see a new 5 speed auto take 2000 hp

Quick Reply: Lentech Assessment of '05 Mustang GT's Automatic T