GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Leather coming off your seat?

Search this Thread

Old 6/23/05, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noticed that the leather on the front seats appears to just be hanging loose under the front on the seat. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
Old 6/23/05, 11:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by cspruill@June 23, 2005, 11:34 PM
I've noticed that the leather on the front seats appears to just be hanging loose under the front on the seat. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?
I was just going to post about this. Mine does the same thing. I slide the "track" into the seat and it keeps popping out. It needs some sort of fastener to keep it in place.
Old 6/23/05, 11:16 PM
Bullitt Member

It seem the factory guy weas too lazy to do the job right
The black plastic strip has a slit in it under the seat in the front is a thin metal bar.
Just start the strip on one enf and the rest follows. Just take your time and use some kind of pad to kneel of the ground.
Old 6/24/05, 07:18 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine does this as well. Go back to the dealer. They need to replace the leather seat cover. You can snap mine back in place and within 1 hour it is hanging again. Good ol' design flaw. Problem is the leather stretches a bit over time and when you get your hiney out of the seat the leather is loose and that clip is useless at doing its job. I've been back to the dealer twice to have it looked at. When I picked my car up on Tuesday the service guy said "Your seat is fixed and you will never have the problem again". I said, "Wanna make a bet? Let's go to the car and check". I had not even been to the car since he "fixed" it. I opened the door and sure enough, it was already hanging. My seat has been doing this for close to 2 months now.
Old 6/24/05, 07:19 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Everyone having this problem should go to the dealer so they can get a TSB on this issue and come up with a better solution. I know replacing my seat will only solve the issue for a short period of time. Maybe long enough for the bumper to bumper warranty to run out and then I am stuck with the problem.
Old 6/24/05, 08:16 AM
GT Member

I have the same problem!! I've gotten pretty good at re-clipping it while seated, but I want it fixed right. A new seat cover will not solve the problem, unless the design is changed. I plan on reporting this to the dealer at my first oil change.
But the good news is that this is my only complaint about this fine automobile!!
Old 6/24/05, 08:34 AM
GT Member

Hey guys-

Not sure how many of you have owned Mustangs with leather in the past, but all I can say is, I love my car to death, but I always knew that Ford has had a real problem with leather- The quality has never been there-

Just make sure that you are all using some kind of leather conditioner every couple of weeks- thats all I can say-
Old 6/24/05, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Got the problem too. Also got the "fix" with replacing the seat bottom. Guess we'll see how that goes. Optimism isn't too high. Has anyone noticed that this doesn't happen on the passenger's side?

I have put a ton of miles on my car, and I nearly always have a passenger (only a few hours of seat time with NO passenger). The passenger's side seat is fine. The driver's seat has been loose like that since I picked the car up. Amazing. What's different on the driver's side?
Old 6/24/05, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Both of mine are loose. What if you used some epoxy to get it to hold in place. The only problem with epoxy is that it will become basically permanent.
Old 6/24/05, 09:40 AM
GT Member

I'm thinking about using some "friction tape" on the metal rail thingee to better grab the upholstery clip.
Old 6/24/05, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StangerX@June 24, 2005, 8:42 AM
Has anyone noticed that this doesn't happen on the passenger's side?

I have put a ton of miles on my car, and I nearly always have a passenger (only a few hours of seat time with NO passenger). The passenger's side seat is fine. The driver's seat has been loose like that since I picked the car up. Amazing. What's different on the driver's side?
Mine is the opposite. It keeps coming loose on the passenger side but not the drivers.

Maybe it depends on the person sitting in the seat.

"Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go round'
Old 6/24/05, 08:41 PM
Cobra Member

Just like my seat belt strap I gave up on this a few months ago. Cant see it unless your looking under the seat so I just ignore it at this point.
Old 6/24/05, 09:00 PM
FR500 Member

How bout velcro for the seat bottom. Mine only hangs down on the passenger side.
Old 6/25/05, 06:41 AM

My seats are starting to ware on the edges on both side.Pass and driver side.I only have 1800 miles.....
Old 6/25/05, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine does it too.
Old 6/25/05, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

“Yes indeed! Ken!” (MXC on Spike TV quote of the day)... This is bothersome isn't it... I've been to the dealer three times for the same problem. They even farmed it out to a local upholstery shop that removed the seats and reshaped the metal bar (bent it to a steeper angle) ... This improved the situation a little, but when it's particularly warm out and the leather/plastic/vinyl/foam loosens up it simply pops loose... Seems to me the chief cause of the problem is the fact that the plastic strip clippie thing-a-ma-bob is not nearly robust enough... I just keep popping it back in myself and then drive to the dealer and ask them to open up a warranty repair order to document the problem... This way it gets tracked... My guess is if enough light is shed on the problem it will eventually have to be addressed in a TSB... :bang:
:bang:
Old 6/25/05, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Same problem here. I love the car though but I also understand that you get what you pay for. If it was a Mercedes or some high class car I would be upset and be at my dealer until the problem was solved. However, this is a Ford so I am going to deal with it.
Old 6/25/05, 11:02 AM
Retired Tms Staff

I figured out what is causing the problem and boy, what a design flaw. Sit down in your seat. Where your legs rest at the front you will notice that hey, this is where they stitch the seams and wouldn't you know it, the seams are pretty rigid. Whenever I push the clutch in the seat cover comes loose. All you need to do to show the dealer the issue is push down where the stitching is at the front. That pushes the leather down, which in turn pushed the plastic clip down that holds the leather, thus resulting in the clip falling off of the metal bar. They need to have that clip wrap under and over so it clips in at the top, not the bottom. What a terrible design flaw.
Old 6/25/05, 01:13 PM
Bullitt Member

i put 2 sided tape on my rail and it has not come off since. hopefully this will solve the problem.
Old 6/25/05, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

Yup, mine too. Both sides.

Quick Reply: Leather coming off your seat?