GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Koni STR.T (Orange) struts for '06 GT, Instant Review

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/15, 11:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
Koni STR.T (Orange) struts for '06 GT, Instant Review

Specifically, these ones here.

I've had them for a couple of weeks now. I was awaiting the rear STR.T shocks to get in so I could do them all the same time in time for my trip comin' up on Friday to the Texas Hill Country and the infamous FMs 335, 336, and 337 (and probably 16 and a few others along the way too... and perhaps back as well, kinda wantin' to go on Lime Creek Road near Lake Travis on the way back, and... well others, but it's a group thing, so we'll see what all happens.)

Um... anyway. Those rear ones aren't here yet. Time's up, gotta put the fronts on.

Those fronts got put on today by someone else because I didn't want to mess with the springs and mounts. I've done it, but... yeah. Not my faforite thing. I'd do other stuff, but... I just didn't wanna do that stuff. Easier to let a pro do that. So I did. No regrets on that at all.

I've got to wait until tomorrow for the alignment to ensure all is well, but I still took her home, and MAN, that's perfect up front. With the GT500 kit Eibach sway bars front and rear having been done, and now those Konis up front, the car is really, REALLY nice. No more bouncin' about on the fronts! All the bumps are damped exactly as they should up there. It was amazingly evident going over the speed bumps in the parking lot. Before, you'd hit it and the car would BOING-boing-settled.... Now it's just BOI-settled. Same for the bumps in the road. Rough patches are just so much better now. VERY happy with that alone.

The stock shock rears are still a little bouncy, but it's not NEAR as bad as the fronts were. So I can handle their being stock shocks for now until the rear Konis come in. Those I can do at home, no problem.

And then on the way home I took a turn... whoa. I took a double right turn on the outside lane at about 45MPH, I kid you not (and probably scared the crap outta the person on the inside turn lane. )

Car is on *rails* now. I mean, it just took that turn flatter than a pancake and wasn't squirrely at all.

Awesome is going to get me in *trouble*.

Dang shame I have to wait for the rears, but alas... guess AM got hammered by that really special 1/2 night sale.

Alex, no worries, if you're readin' this, it's all good, honest! It'll be worth the wait, I know it.

Oh yeah. Probably wanna know about the ride. The ride is what you'd expect on a 1" lowered '06 Mustang GT with all poly bushings everywhere now: Not plush, of course. It is a higher performance car setup now, so you're gonna get a bit of more harshness than with a stock suspension. But even taking this into account, the bumps aren't all that harsh, the dampening is nice, but not gawdawful jolting. Predictably spirited feeling, I suppose, is the best way I can describe it. Maybe. I dunno. It's a slightly modded Mustang, whaddaya want awreaddy!?

So yes. While some would have Bilsteins or Koni Yellows or maybe even coil overs of some kind, I got exactly what I wanted out of the Koni STR.T Orange: The end of the bunny hopping over the bumps. And serious cornering. And a ride I like.

Get some!
Old 4/1/15, 09:29 AM
V6 Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I have the Koni Yellows front and back and these also transformed my 2006 GT into a new ride. Set on soft, the car drives like on rails with all of the bounce gone. The install on my stock 2006 was fairly straight forward with the rear shocks done in 30 minutes. Yes these Konis are costly but on sale and DIY, they feel great. Can't wait to try turning up the setting to see how firm they can go once the roads improve after this harsh winter.