GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Koni Production Delay, PT. II

Search this Thread

Old 4/17/10, 06:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have access to the tools, I would just install it yourself. I installed the struts/springs yesterday by myself and it didnt take too long. It wasn't that much of a headache either. Tacobill's write ups are very helpful in addition to the factory service manual.
Old 4/18/10, 10:05 AM
GT Member

I don't - I'm in a condo with no garage and street parking
Old 5/6/10, 08:18 PM
GT Member

Got everything installed and my car back today. All I can say is wow, this car is incredible now - It's so much more fun to toss around! The ride isnt any harsher, it's actually smoother and there isnt any more NVH.
Old 5/6/10, 09:12 PM
V6 Member

What setting did you go for on the Koni's?
Old 5/7/10, 08:53 AM
GT Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Americanboy86
What setting did you go for on the Koni's?
I haven't dialed them in yet. I'm assuming they are at full soft. Besides the Koni's I had J&M LCAs, Adj. UCA, Adj Panhard Rod, and Vogtland GT springs. The whole thing plus install and alignment cost me under $2,000. I need better tires then the stock all seasons now.

EDIT: ah crap, they didn't cut the bump stops...

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 5/7/10 at 05:28 PM.
Old 5/8/10, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Woodward Ave,....where did you end up going to have these installed. ...and curious how much it cost (if you don't mind). Just curious, as I'm looking at possibly picking up some Koni's and Springs. I've been to a couple local places, but if I remember from another thread, you had tried some places different than I have.
Old 5/8/10, 12:45 PM
GT Member

Street Legal Customs, right next to Royal Oak Ford on Woodward. I had them install, UCA, LCAs, panhard rod, springs, Konis, center my mufflers, and do an alignment. Total cost was $669.75 out the door. They warranty their work for 30 days and are open until 7pm and on Saturday. Install cost was $585.00 (alignment $79). Their labor rate is cheaper if you buy the parts from them. Feels like a completely new car now.

I spoke with Ben there today, let him know that I wanted my bump stops cut as I bottomed out twice, he said no problem just bring it in when I am available. MRTs estimate was WAY high, like $900 without alignment.

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 5/8/10 at 03:58 PM. Reason: panhard rod was put on too
Old 5/8/10, 01:20 PM
GT Member

Still wondering what I should set my Konis at... Im full soft in the front and 1/2 turn from soft in the rear. Any recommendations?
Old 5/8/10, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Woodward Ave
Still wondering what I should set my Konis at... Im full soft in the front and 1/2 turn from soft in the rear. Any recommendations?
I tend to run softer in back than in front on my cars with Konis. IIRC on my Bullitt I'm 1/4 to 1/2 turn from soft in back and about a full turn from soft in front.
Old 5/8/10, 02:39 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ministang
I tend to run softer in back than in front on my cars with Konis. IIRC on my Bullitt I'm 1/4 to 1/2 turn from soft in back and about a full turn from soft in front.
Yeah I always tend to think the rear should be firmer - but the front has the extra weight by what, approx 56/44%?

Same goes for air pressure although the specs are even all the way around.
Old 5/8/10, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Street Legal Customs, right next to Royal Oak Ford on Woodward. I had them install, UCA, LCAs, springs, Konis, center my mufflers, and do an alignment. Total cost was $669.75 out the door. They warranty their work for 30 days and are open until 7pm and on Saturday. Install cost was $585.00 (alignment $79). Their labor rate is cheaper if you buy the parts from them. Feels like a completely new car now.

I spoke with Ben there today, let him know that I wanted my bump stops cut as I bottomed out twice, he said no problem just bring it in when I am available. MRTs estimate was WAY high, like $900 without alignment.
Thanks. I think I'll give all three shops a call and see how much it would be to do a set of springs + koni's. Woodward Ave is definitely a closer drive for me than either of the others, so that would be one bonus.
Old 5/8/10, 03:16 PM

Still wondering what I should set my Konis at... I'm full soft in the front and 1/2 turn from soft in the rear. Any recommendations?
On Michigan roads and stock springs, I ran my konis around 1/2 front, 1 rear. Any more and the impacts started to feel really harsh. I went down to Indiana for six months, and added another turn to that; they have much better roads in Indianapolis than Detroit.

I usually go a half turn extra at the rear to help the car feel better on turn-in.
Old 5/8/10, 03:18 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SlideWRX
On Michigan roads and stock springs, I ran my konis around 1/2 front, 1 rear. Any more and the impacts started to feel really harsh. I went down to Indiana for six months, and added another turn to that; they have much better roads in Indianapolis than Detroit.

I usually go a half turn extra at the rear to help the car feel better on turn-in.
So the damping affects understeer? hmm..... Why? How does that change weight distribution and geometry?

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/8/10 at 03:30 PM.
Old 5/9/10, 02:03 PM
GT Member

photos!

Last edited by Woodward Ave; 5/9/10 at 02:06 PM.
Old 5/9/10, 02:16 PM
V6 Member

photos!
Is that Satin Silver?
Sure is a sharp car with those fan blades. I hope to get mine lowered like yours some day
Old 5/9/10, 02:22 PM
GT Member

silver metalic - camera doesnt really pickup the color very well - it reflects a lot more light than what is shown in the photos
Old 5/9/10, 03:14 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
So the damping affects understeer? hmm..... Why? How does that change weight distribution and geometry?
As I understand it, damping changes the effective weight distribution while the suspension is moving as the car transitions into its cornering stance. It has not effect while the car is in a steady state condition.

Think of it like an adjustable sway bar. Adding damping 'stiffness' is similar to stiffening a sway bar, it transfers traction to the other end of the car. Except that the damping comes into play in transitional states, as mentioned above. On a smooth track, this would be when starting braking, at turn in, and as power begins to be applied to accelerate out of a corner. On a bumpy track, it will also affect the mid-corner handling, since the car doesn't get a chance to take a set.