GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Kenne Bell SC right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/07, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenne Bell SC right for me?

Hey there!

I got about 30k miles now on my 05 GT and I want more power! Looking around for a SC I found the KB intercooled SC kinda right for me. I want a quiet, daily driveable car with a lot of power when nescessary. Is the KB offering all that?

Or what would you suggest?

Thx, Matthias
Old 10/4/07, 11:38 AM

Oh, and it should be "easy" to install because I live in Austria/Europe so I canĀ“t just walk over to the dealer and ask a question if I donĀ“t know how to continue...
Old 10/4/07, 12:24 PM
V6 Member

I don't think any supercharger would be an easy install. I read on several forums the whipples had really detailed instructions. Are you set on a kb and not a whipple? If I had the money and guts for my auto trans I'd pick either twin screw up.
Old 10/4/07, 01:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I have never seen the Whipple instructions, but I've installed two 2.6L Kenne Bells, mine, and another in an '06. I have never seen a more thorough set of instructions. Each step has a picture, each part has a picture with a label on it, they even have a complete list of tools needed for the job. Anyone who can change there oil can install a Kenne Bell supercharger on an 05+ Mustang. Not saying you have to be careful, there will be a few 'gotchas'. Every time the manual mentioned that there might be some "clearancing issues", I had them. The dremel and a grinding attatchment came in handy. There will be some cutting for the cold air intake hose as well, which some don't want to do, but it's in the aluminum radiator support, and no big deal. I loved doing the install and would gladly help a friend do a third. It's a lot fun, actually, and the end results and sense of accomplishment is priceless. Search around the web, there are many full KB install threads with pics and feedback. First one took me 40 hours (by myself, takingn my time) and the next one with my buddy took around 21, but we had more issues (snapped a belt, one of the brackets came crossthreaded, couple of extra trips to the auto store, etc). I would recommend go ahead and buying a spare belt, I've seen one last about one turn of the crank, and having spent 3 hours before calling everyshop in town, 122.3" long 6 rib belts are hard to find.

As far as quiet, mine has a little bit of a whine to it. Loud enough that at stop lights, I'm not fooling anybody. All the other 2.4 or 2.6L KB's from 8 to 10 psi (mine is still 8) that I have heard are whisper quiet, with just a little whine when WOT. Mine is pretty much the same volume no matter how hard I get on it. Mine was pretty quiet when I got it, but got a little louder after 3K miles. No big deal though, it's not to "annoying" level as long as it doesn't get any louder.

As far as power, mine was 439rwhp SAE, but it was a cool 60 degree night, and actuall hp was 472, more than enough to keep me happy and 8psi to play it safe with a daily driver.

Don't be afraid to do it yourself. Being on the other side of the pond doesn't matter, it's not like you couldn't get on the phone to James Bell if you had any questions.

Good luck in your search. If you go with the KB you won't be dissapointed, and if I can do it, anybody can.
Old 10/5/07, 08:25 AM
Cobra Member

Hatch, do you have any videos of the whine of the KB? Why would yours sound any different than other 2.4/2.6s out there?
Old 10/5/07, 10:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I installed my Saleen s/c and it wasn't hard at all.
Old 10/5/07, 10:51 AM

The directions for Saleen Supercharger's leaves a lot to be desired but the install is pretty simple just takes time. I use my saleen with the 3.4 pulley and I drive 900 miles a week to work and back.
Old 10/5/07, 11:18 AM
V6 Member

900 miles a week, wow.Let us know how that saleen holds up.
Old 10/5/07, 11:47 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Hatch, do you have any videos of the whine of the KB? Why would yours sound any different than other 2.4/2.6s out there?
Here's a vid of the kenne bell on a 03 Cobra
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xc9K0H-kunM
Old 10/5/07, 12:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm getting the whipple install PDF format for you guys. once I get it, I'll post it.

the whipple is quieter than the KB.

assisting my shop in doing the install, the whipple was very very easy!
Old 10/7/07, 09:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by SlamMan02
Sorry, no videos of the whine, and can't get them right now, about to deploy to the Persian Gulf and car is in P'cola, I'm in VA Beach.

Not sure why mine is different, maybe just a little different wear/break in/clearance/bearing tolerance/who knows. Puts out good power on the dyno for these mods and a very conservative tune, and will push 8psi (or a little more) on the boost gauge with ease, so everything seems normal, just has a little more whine than normal. Actually, I hardly notice it until I think about it.
Old 10/7/07, 02:05 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
I'm getting the whipple install PDF format for you guys. once I get it, I'll post it.

assisting my shop in doing the install, the whipple was very very easy!
Hold on... I thought it was the other way around. I thought the whipple is louder than the KB? I thought the KB was almost silent?
Old 10/7/07, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaverickMLFD371
Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
Hold on... I thought it was the other way around. I thought the whipple is louder than the KB? I thought the KB was almost silent?
I have heard several of each in person, and the Whipples are louder in every case. Granted, there may be individual exceptions, but across the board, the KBs are quieter.
Old 10/7/07, 10:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by don_w
I have heard several of each in person, and the Whipples are louder in every case. Granted, there may be individual exceptions, but across the board, the KBs are quieter.
Yes, all the Whipples I have heard were louder than a comparable KB. I guess my KB is louder than normal, but it is still quiter than every Whipple I have ever heard.
Old 10/8/07, 06:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

i'm not able to post the instructions on the boards. the boards only allow 4MB of PDF file, the whipple PDF is 7MB.

if anyone wants the instructions for the whipple. shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it right over to you.
Old 10/9/07, 04:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
lol Im VERY familiar with KBs on Cobras but the impellars and overall internals are designed different then that on the s197 GTs.
Old 10/9/07, 08:10 PM
V6 Member

The whipple is alot louder for sure. but who cares. It is not too loud to drive everyday. It gets much louder with longtubes and x pipe with cat delete.
Old 10/10/07, 01:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think this will answer your question.

Originally Posted by Matthias
Hey there!

I got about 30k miles now on my 05 GT and I want more power! Looking around for a SC I found the KB intercooled SC kinda right for me. I want a quiet, daily driveable car with a lot of power when nescessary. Is the KB offering all that?

Or what would you suggest?

Thx, Matthias
http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...=GTRDynoKB.flv

Jed
Old 10/10/07, 04:35 PM
Cobra R Member

the Whipples are only loud when you stomp on it...otherwise at normal cruise you hardly know it's there..personally I love the sound at WOT!! It depends what you want.
Old 10/14/07, 07:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JedCranium
sounds sick is that a 2.6 KB? What boost #s are you seeing?

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell SC right for me?