GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Kazoo exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/06, 07:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I've been lucky enough to develop a VERY annoying exhaust rattle which sounds like a kazoo (thats the best description I can think of). Imagine a one of those vibrating gillette razors (in metal form) vibrating against a tail pipe and that is the sound I hear when accelerating. It sounds like it is coming from the right muffler, which is a flowmaster. I hit a decent sized pot hole and heard the exhaust bottom out on a piece of metal under the car, I am assuming it was the lateral stiffener, and think that may have been the cause of this vibration. I remember a while back someone posting about a part inside of their Flowmasters that broke loose, anyone else remember that topic?

Anyone have any thoughts I what this kazoo sounding vibration might be? I have crawled under the car and can't find any point where metal is touching metal and the sound seems to go away after a few minutes of driving.
Old 5/4/06, 07:46 AM

Chris i have the same problem with my left side exhaust, which are flowmaster.I pulled down on the exhaust, fixed it for the drive home but its doing it again. When i find the problem i will let you know.
Old 5/4/06, 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

If you guys have Flowmasters, then you guys may have a defective Flowmaster Kit with the well known "Bad weld" inside the mufflers. You can hear it under acceleration or low RPMs, sometimes under hard acceleration. Its a loud annoying rattle coming from inside the muffler.

To test to see if you have a defective kit, take a rubber mallet and tap it a few times on the back of the muffler, if you hear a rattling noise, then you know you have a defective kit.

Call Flowmaster and let them know you have a defective 05 Mustang Flowmaster kit with the bad weld and the will send you a replacement Flowmaster kit.
Old 5/4/06, 09:17 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem. It sounded like a kazoo too. Take a rubber mallet and bang the offending muffler. If you hear a rattle noise you have the broken weld issue. I just called Flowmaster and Scott sent me a new set. You need to fax them your receipt.

I'd find the receipt and fax it to Scott @ 707-544-4784

Then call Scott @ 800-544-4761 x448 and tell him about it.
Old 5/4/06, 09:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

I just went down and banged on the bottom of my muffler with a rubber mallet and heard the kazoo sound. I talked to Scott and, just like you said, he wants my receipt. Wouldn't you know it, the ONE receipt I don't have is this one so I had to call up 21st Century Exhaust. They are looking for my receipt as I type this.... I hope they still have it.

/fingers crossed
Old 5/4/06, 10:38 AM
Team Mustang Source

Oh yea 21st will have it on file. I had to do that myself. 21st had it on file, sent me a replacement kit, and then sent a call tag to my house for the defective kit.
Old 5/4/06, 01:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

How long after you had them on did you start to notice the rattle? I just installed some myself (love the sound). I have about five hundred miles on them - so far, so good. Make sure you crank those clamps to 45 ft. lbs.
Old 5/4/06, 01:26 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

maybe about 6 months of use on mine

you have a 1 year warranty anyway
Old 5/4/06, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've had mine since June '05 with no issues at all. I think the pot hole that I hit pushed the weld over the edge.
Old 5/4/06, 02:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ May 4, 2006, 3:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
maybe about 6 months of use on mine

you have a 1 year warranty anyway
[/b][/quote]

1 Year Warranty????

I think they are warranty for life, or at least A Million Miles, from what I remember.
Old 5/4/06, 03:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Two thumbs up, 1 to Flowmaster and 1 to 21st Century Exhaust. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

21st Century was nice enough to dig through their records and find my shipping record. They couldn't find my receipt so they just wrote up a new one and faxed it to me.

Scott at Flowmaster has initiated the return and my new Flowmasters will be shipped out in the next couple of days. They were origially going to make me go to a speedshop in order to confirm that there is a problem but decided that they had dealt with this problem enough and are just going to send a new set out! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 5/4/06, 10:19 PM
GT Member

Hmmmm.. I bottomed out pulling off a driveway and my right exhaust hit. I have SLP LM's and i too now have this vibration. Ive hit my exhaust moved it all around and i cant seem to find it.
Old 5/4/06, 10:25 PM
Cobra Member

Kazoo huh, sounds like that exhaust leak I know have between the Mid-Pipe and Collector. My clamps suck.

-Dan