GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

K&N CAI Opinions & Info

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/06, 12:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I am considering putting a K&N CAI on my car and would like to hear from those that have one or know someone that has one. I'm not looking to put tunes on the car or anything like that and I want to stay with 87 octane gas. So lets hear it, good or bad so I don't waste my money on a problem maker. TIA.
Old 4/15/06, 01:22 AM
mhk
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the k&n cai and magnaflow system at the same time so it's difficult to tell what difference the k&n just made. All I can tell you is that I noticed a better engine response and nice sound coming from the engine bay(not too loud). Install was straight forward, easy and a good fit. I'm happy with it.
Old 4/15/06, 02:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadhead @ April 14, 2006, 11:58 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I am considering putting a K&N CAI on my car and would like to hear from those that have one or know someone that has one. I'm not looking to put tunes on the car or anything like that and I want to stay with 87 octane gas. So lets hear it, good or bad so I don't waste my money on a problem maker. TIA.
[/b][/quote]
I've had the K&N cai with no tune for several months. no CEL thus far. I even took out the hydro-carbon trap at the same time. I'll have an sct xcal2 in a couple days. Looking forward to seeing what it does for the car.
Old 4/15/06, 06:45 AM

I added the K&N CAI and FRPP exhaust a couple of months ago and have had absolutely no problems with either one. Throttle response seems to be a little better along w/ slightly better MPG for me. Overall, I think it's a good mod for the money with little to no chance of hurting your warranty coverage. Enjoy!
Old 4/15/06, 09:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Here's a short video clip of the K&N in action.

As you see, I've decided to leave the heat shield off by choice. Before you move your mouse pointer over the reply button to slam me, I already know what you're going to say about losing HP, sucking in hot air, not designed that way, etc.

I have decided to go for a cleaner engine bay look in trade for squeezing out every ounce of HP from the air induction kit.

And believe me, I have no trouble at all laying down as much rubber as I want! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]

Old 4/15/06, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I got 10rwhp without a tune and about 12rwhp total with the tune.
Old 4/15/06, 05:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

the K&N is great, I would assume you get the 15.62 RWHP as they claim on dyno testing, thats without a tune! Later a few months I bought the tuner from Doug @ BamaChips and i immediately got a 5 RWHP increase and 8 RWTQ. Its an awesome intake, and after almost a year, no CEL or any kind of problems!

If I had my dyno sheets I would post them for you, I cant seem to locate the sheets at all in my house. But I did a dyno of the stock tune, the torque tune and the performance tune on 3 different pulls and the performance tune toped out the max!
Old 4/16/06, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

I like mine alot, I've had it on for a year now and no problems, I just added the tune a month ago. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 11:40 AM
GT Member

I put one on my car after having it for 3 days. Definitely improved the sound of the car, and slight improvement to the throttle response.

I ran it for several months with no issues.

Nice mod!
Old 4/16/06, 12:26 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Does anyone know what the A/F mixture is with the K&N on 87 octane or 93? I talked to a tuner who thought that it ran too lean (or maybe he was just trying to sell a tune [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] ). I'd like to know before I put it on. A little leaner is okay and I've heard that it does lean it some.
Old 4/16/06, 01:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

I put the K&N on in May 05 - I did notice an improvement in response with no CEL's or other trouble. In Sept 05 got the X2 from Bama Chips and have been running Doug' Torque Tune (93 Oct) since then. Great response and again no problems. Have driven over 6,000 and love it!!!!
Old 4/16/06, 04:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it now, just gotta fill the bank account back up. I'm very much the newb when it comes to mods so even as simple as this seems it's kinda like brain surgery to me. Thanks again. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/16/06, 06:08 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lean is better than rich

If it gets dangerously lean your car lets you know by throwing a code. I had the K&N for a year and no codes.
Old 4/16/06, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ April 16, 2006, 5:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
lean is better than rich[/b][/quote]

In what way??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dustindu4 @ April 16, 2006, 5:11 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
If it gets dangerously lean your car lets you know by throwing a code. [/b][/quote]

Or throwing a rod...
Old 4/16/06, 06:25 PM

I have a K&N aircharger for sale right now. I used it on my car for 5,000 miles and it is in perfect condition. I have everything: all parts, original boxes, original papers. The intake is definently your best option if you decide not to do a tune now or do one later. Please PM me if you are interested.
Old 4/18/06, 08:15 AM
GT Member

Which CAI would you say is the best. To me it looks like the C&L one is.

Am I wrong?
Old 4/18/06, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(don_w @ April 16, 2006, 7:20 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Or throwing a rod...
[/b][/quote]

I'd like to see somone throw a rod because they went lean after installing a CAI. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 4/19/06, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Are y'all trying to jinx me with all this rod throwing talk? I'm gonna blame y'all if something goes wrong. Even if it's technically my fault! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wtf.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/04.gif[/img]
Old 4/20/06, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I love my K&N, had it for about a month without a tune. I noticed a definate increase as well as the cool air sucking sound over the stock box [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]

The tune only helps, plus with the automatic it helps shifting alot.
The only mods I have are the K&N and the tune
Old 4/20/06, 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Just too let you all know i got an email today saying that there is a second cai from K&N, it is called the typhoon. I wonder what kinds of performance you can get out of that one instead of the regular air charger cai from them. I am more interested in the c&l racer or regular cai. But thought I would let you know they have two options.

Quick Reply: K&N CAI Opinions & Info