GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Junkyard gears

Search this Thread

Old 2/7/12, 01:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Junkyard gears

Can I grab a pumpkin out of a boneyard and swap it into my 08 GT? That would be awesome...
Old 2/7/12, 06:36 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by muscledom
Can I grab a pumpkin out of a boneyard and swap it into my 08 GT? That would be awesome...
when you are using the term "pumpkin" do you know what it is...then sure go ahead and grab one. once you get the axles out and pull the axle tubes off then you can take the "pumpkin" and put it in your car.

^^ the center section is the "pumpkin". your better off buying gears and putting them in or having a shop do it. There is the option of swapping out the entire rear for another one with the gear set up want.
Old 2/7/12, 07:33 PM
Banned

Lmao yea dude I know what a pumpkin is. I just wanted to know what ones were compatible and if it was easier to swap the whole thing or just the ring and pinion gears. Na I wanted pie lol smh...
Old 2/7/12, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The axle tubes are pressed on, you'd be better off getting a whole new rear assembly from newtakeoff.com with your choice of gears installed.
Old 2/7/12, 08:25 PM

The 8.8 rear does not have a removeable pumpkin, if you want to change gears you must open the rear cover, remove the axles and swap out the ring and pinion gears.

The center section of the 8.8 rear end is an intergal part of the rear end assembly.
Old 2/7/12, 11:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

What all would b needed on my part (07 gt) to trade for a 03 cobra independent rear? 03 guys want a straight axle... I like curves...
Old 2/7/12, 11:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by silversky545
What all would b needed on my part (07 gt) to trade for a 03 cobra independent rear? 03 guys want a straight axle... I like curves...
custom fab work, 2 differnt suspension setups
Old 2/8/12, 12:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

****... Oh well good idea at least
Old 2/8/12, 05:15 AM
Cobra R Member

Lmao yea dude I know what a pumpkin is. I just wanted to know what ones were compatible and if it was easier to swap the whole thing or just the ring and pinion gears. Na I wanted pie lol smh...
I figured that. I was being a wise **** . I was pretty much just throwing it out there and it seemed to miss. Like alreadt stated the "pumpkin" or center housing isn't coming out and being swapped. maybe I just should have been more direct
Old 2/8/12, 05:17 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by silversky545
sadly more than custom fab work. I can bolt the whole thing right into my Fox. We share the same floor pan thru '04. It's been done many times. should have multi quoted but I just caught your post.
Old 2/8/12, 06:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PureSpeedMotorsports
The axle tubes are pressed on, you'd be better off getting a whole new rear assembly from newtakeoff.com with your choice of gears installed.
Cool thanks I'll check that out!
Old 2/8/12, 06:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by skunk21

I figured that. I was being a wise **** . I was pretty much just throwing it out there and it seemed to miss. Like alreadt stated the "pumpkin" or center housing isn't coming out and being swapped. maybe I just should have been more direct
Haha yea dude I don't do puzzles lol
Old 2/8/12, 08:28 AM
Cobra R Member

Haha yea dude I don't do puzzles lol
Uhm okay. Why not just get a quote a on a gear install. seems kinda overkill to swap out an entire rearend just for a set of gears. It might seem like a tough job to do a set of gears granted, it can be done by a diy but a gear job at a decent shop isn't that bad $$ wise vs shipping out an entire rearend. Just mo.
Old 2/8/12, 08:43 AM
Banned

Uhm okay. Why not just get a quote a on a gear install. seems kinda overkill to swap out an entire rearend just for a set of gears. It might seem like a tough job to do a set of gears granted, it can be done by a diy but a gear job at a decent shop isn't that bad $$ wise vs shipping out an entire rearend. Just mo.
Well I work at a repair shop/bhph lot. I try to have stuff done here because, well it's free lol. But at the same time I don't like to tie up the bays for too long. I though maybe if I could grab one out of a junk yard it would be faster easier and cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing, because if I do that I want new gears, new LSD, the whole thing ya know? Still trying to get a price on one with 373s in it. Most yards I deal with ship free.
Old 2/8/12, 09:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I work at a repair shop/bhph lot. I try to have stuff done here because, well it's free lol. But at the same time I don't like to tie up the bays for too long. I though maybe if I could grab one out of a junk yard it would be faster easier and cheaper than rebuilding the whole thing, because if I do that I want new gears, new LSD, the whole thing ya know? Still trying to get a price on one with 373s in it. Most yards I deal with ship free.
lsd/gears with bearings/seals most decent shops 3-4hrs maybe a tick longer.
Old 2/8/12, 09:12 AM
Banned

lsd/gears with bearings/seals most decent shops 3-4hrs maybe a tick longer.
Yea my mechanic is pretty good but with stuff like that but hes reallllllyyyyyy slow. He did my cams in 1 day with no problems. I have faith but we stay pretty busy and I don't want to maybe ending up killing a whole day. I'll end up spending like 7-8 hundred in parts if I do a rebuild, hopefully a fraction in a used assembly. I'm gonna try to get pricing during lunch...
Old 2/8/12, 09:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Yea my mechanic is pretty good but with stuff like that but hes reallllllyyyyyy slow. He did my cams in 1 day with no problems. I have faith but we stay pretty busy and I don't want to maybe ending up killing a whole day. I'll end up spending like 7-8 hundred in parts if I do a rebuild, hopefully a fraction in a used assembly. I'm gonna try to get pricing during lunch...
what are you looking to do diff wise? a Ford racing 3.73 gear kit is $250 with free shipping. what else you looking at doing.
Old 2/8/12, 09:44 AM
Banned

what are you looking to do diff wise? a Ford racing 3.73 gear kit is $250 with free shipping. what else you looking at doing.
Well honestly I havent done much home work yet. I want some thing that I can absolutely BEAT THE **** out of with out fear of breaking it, if such setup exists. Is it not worth to upgrade the LSD?
Old 2/8/12, 09:45 AM
Cobra R Member

You don't really need a new LSD or axles.... unless you are pushing some serious hp...
All you need is a gears of your choice and a bearing kit...
Old 2/8/12, 09:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by cpotts13
You don't really need a new LSD or axles.... unless you are pushing some serious hp...
All you need is a gears of your choice and a bearing kit...
I totally agree ! That is why I was pushing for more info. muscledom get a set of gears and call it a day, snapping an axle = lots of torque or slicks. you will get enough wheel spin to save them.

Take a look here:
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-End-Gear-Kit

Quick Reply: Junkyard gears