GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT issue

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/05, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my filter fall off 3 times now. I tried using rubbing alcohol to take off the oil (suggestion from Jay). Is anyone else having this problem, and do you have a solution?
Old 5/23/05, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I did at first, but then cleaned the heck out of the inner lip of the filter & the end of the pipe with simple green and it hasn't fallen off since. I just had to tighten the heck out of the pipe clamp holding the filter on.

Just had a thought pop in my mind before submitting my reply...I wonder if you could use a dremel and make a few grooves in the pvc piping on the end that the rubber from the filter will "squish" into when you clamp it down? I doubt they would have to be deep.

Just a though.
Old 5/23/05, 10:19 PM
GT Member

Mine has also fallen off 3 times. Tried the alcohol after the second. Came off again last night after 4+ hour trip. Jay suggested replacing the clamp, which I will try tomorrow. Will also try the simple green to see if that helps. Really hate to see that fail safe light come on.
Old 5/23/05, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

What do you all think about using adhesive/glue of some sort, to put it on for good? It would make cleaning it a little bit difficult, but much better than it falling off. I plan on supercharging down the road so I'll be trashing mine anyways, but do you see an issue with attaching it for good?
Old 5/23/05, 10:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Use a screw to secure it as well as the clamp. Put the screw through the clamp also. Self tapping screw should be OK in the plastic pipe
Old 5/23/05, 11:04 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by cdemot02@May 23, 2005, 8:25 PM
What do you all think about using adhesive/glue of some sort, to put it on for good? It would make cleaning it a little bit difficult, but much better than it falling off. I plan on supercharging down the road so I'll be trashing mine anyways, but do you see an issue with attaching it for good?
Believe it or not, I used a little hair spray on mine (an old trick I used from my BMX days putting on handle grips on new handlebars). Don't use much, and the hair spray lubricates while you put it on and get it lined up - then tacks up nicely so that it won't fall off.

After falling off three times, have now gone 2,000+ miles without incident using the hairspray trick.

I repeat, you don't need much - just a little on the inside lip of the filter - stay away from the filter element itself.
Old 5/23/05, 11:18 PM

yea i have had this same problem i dont know what is causin it all of a sudden. i just bothers me. but i will soon fix it i am goin to sand it and even try that hairspray maybe. i was driving home and my car shut off i was like WTF so i pulled over n sure enough filter was just layin there. but the pipe fell off as well. but that was just a fluke i guess.
Old 5/24/05, 04:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, guys, I didn't realise this was happening to so many of you. Again, like the CEL in the begening this has not happened to any of the local cars.
As a X-BMX racer my self I like the hair spray idea. Trust me it WILL work and not make it hard to remove the filter down the road.
Also, double check the worm gear clamp. If they are over tightened they can get a nick in the gear and cause it to either not tighten enough or loosen up easiely.
Old 5/24/05, 06:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I've use the hairspray trick on motorcycle grips before too, works like a champ! I'm sure it'll work in this case as well. Just enough tack to keep it in place.
Old 5/24/05, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Is there any issues since hairspray is flamable?
Old 5/24/05, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
So far mine has stayed in place. I have only been a few hundred miles. But I did take it racing with about 6 runs. And no movement.
Old 5/24/05, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow this is funny everyone is talking about this.

Yesterday (some people already read this from another post) my car went into "fail safe mode". Talk about scaring the crap out of me. In my head I'm thinking " I should've left it stock, why do I always play around with things".

Anyways as soon as I popped the hood I noticed my JLT filter came off. To my relief I knew it would be any EASY fix.

I noticed when I tighten the clamp down the filter would slip off. Thinking of all the ideas I also thought of a set screw of some sort; however, I was a little reluctant to tap into the pipe. After reading this post I will try the good old "hairspray trick" and move on from there.

As far as an issue I really don't think this is a big issue just need a slight modification (just like adding hot water heater insulation to my raditor hose) so the JLT works better. The only reason I'm stating this is because all this will turn into a JLT bashing post (hope not).

I am thoroughly happy with my purchase and have noticed all items I have bought for my car need some sort of modication (for example my steeda pedals, predator, steeda door pins, etc.).

I'm glad we have this forum so we all can work together to come up with solutions.

Cheers_Jay
Old 5/24/05, 07:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

I dont have this setup yet, but after cleaning if you put a little sealant on it im sure that it would not continue to fall off, it would be a little bit of a hassle when cleaning and replacing, but would be better than having it fall off IMO..
Old 5/24/05, 09:23 AM
GT Member

what and where is the JLT
Old 5/24/05, 09:34 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by THE-BOSS@May 24, 2005, 7:26 AM
The JLT is an aftermarket Cold Air intake that provides several add'l horsepower over the stock airbox/air filter.

By the way, no "Jay bashing" here - I love my JLT CAI!! Just working through the kinks of a new product.

Jay, one suggestion might be to machine 3 or 4 small grooves into the end of the pipe where the filter clamps on. Not sure how much extra effort that would be on your machining process, but I think it would resolve this easily. Jsut a thought...
Old 5/24/05, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by THE-BOSS@May 24, 2005, 11:26 AM

His site says "Coming Soon" but it is here and has been for some time now. Just contact him through either email or phone. Great product btw..

JLT Cold Air Intake
Old 5/24/05, 09:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

The problem I have is that the clamp screw loosens due to vibration and that's why the filter loosens.

The clamp on the other end of the tube also loosens.

I'm going to try some Loctite/Permatex threadlocker (242 Blue) on the clamp screws. I think that should keep them nice and snug.
Old 5/24/05, 10:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by loudog@May 24, 2005, 9:37 AM
The JLT is an aftermarket Cold Air intake that provides several add'l horsepower over the stock airbox/air filter.

By the way, no "Jay bashing" here - I love my JLT CAI!! Just working through the kinks of a new product.

Jay, one suggestion might be to machine 3 or 4 small grooves into the end of the pipe where the filter clamps on. Not sure how much extra effort that would be on your machining process, but I think it would resolve this easily. Jsut a thought...
Make the small pipe 1/2 longer.
Old 5/24/05, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your understanding guys.
I think part of the culpret is over tightening. What I think is happening is if the clamps are super tight they put pressure on the pipe. That added pressure on the pipe along with the under hood heat the pipe will "slightly" soften and indent causing the clamp to be loose and the filter will fall off. In the past (not on this kit) I have seen customers pipes all squeesed in where the clamp was. Mine has been on my car for over a year with no indentation.
All clamps only need to be snug and make sure the clamp on the filter is at the very bottom of the flange.
I will look into a groove or a longer pipe.
Thanks
Jay
Old 5/24/05, 09:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Just about every mod I ever do needs some kind of adjusting or fine tuning. This is a very easy fix. I'm definitely ordering a JLT CAI as soon as they start shipping the SCT Xcal II.

Quick Reply: JLT issue