GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT II with BamaChips tunes installed today!

Search this Thread

Old 10/31/06, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLT II with BamaChips tunes installed today!

I got the package with the CAI from BamaChips today, after Doug had sent me 2 tunes for it: 95RON Performance and 95RON Torque.
The installation was very simple, although I did have to remove the CDC shaker before I started. Unfortunately, the JLT heat shield is too far away from the tube coming from the shaker, so I didn't install it. I'll try to find another shield to adapt.
Now, the improvements: I already had 95RON tunes from Doug for months, but for the stock airbox. Nevertheless, the car felt much better compared to the stock tune: throttle lag was gone, gearshifts happened in an instant, etc.
After installing the CAI, I went out for a drive. Too bad is started raining the minute I went out, but I didn't care. First I reflashed the ECU with the TQ tune for a little spin (pun intended ) through the city. The first thing I noticed was that the car was no longer quickly shifting from 3rd to 4th, which means more torque is now available at low speed due to keeping the revs higher. Launching from every stop resulted in some wheelspin, even with TCM on. 30 minutes later I pulled over and reflashed with the HP tune, then I took the car out on the highway. All I can say is WOW! There was serious SOTP feeling improvement even over the 95 HP tune + stock airbox! I also did a WOT launch and managed to spin the wheels at the 3-4 shift!!! (granted it was wet, but this is still an automatic!).

Also, with both tunes I noticed a slight change in exhaust note, now it's a little deeper and there is definitely more "burble".

I will post pics only after I manage to adapt a heat shield to the shaker, but this CAI looks even better in person than in all the pics I've seen so far.

In conclusion: I would highly recommend this CAI as it's probably the best value for the money ($185). It also goes without saying that DOUG IS THE MAN!
Old 10/31/06, 03:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

That is great to hear. I have the same combo (torque tune) and love it. So you noticed that big of a differrence between the Torque and the Race Tune?
Old 10/31/06, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

No, the 2 tunes aren't that different, I meant there is definite improvement over the previous tunes I had, for the stock airbox.
Old 10/31/06, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats Louie, glad you are enjoying it. I also installed this CAI with 93 tunes from Doug on Saturday with Doug at the dyno an hour from my house. The JLT is a nice piece and does its job at a good price. I like the look of it to as my car is black so mine color matches and looks kinda stealthy under the hood! Race tune and torq tunes are kinda similar but the throttle response on the race tune is nuts!!!
So does having a shaker hood let even more air into the engine than a CAI alone or is it just for looks now you have the JLT? Just wondered if they both worked together flowing even more air! That would be cool!
Old 10/31/06, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TorchRedV6
So does having a shaker hood let even more air into the engine than a CAI alone or is it just for looks now you have the JLT? Just wondered if they both worked together flowing even more air! That would be cool!
As long as the shaker is not connected in any way to the CAI, it's become a purely cosmetic mod. To be honest, I don't think that running the shaker tube through the CAI shield would increase the airflow to the engine, unless there were some sort of closed airbox.
I love the look of the shaker but I'm beginning to consider either the Foose hood or the Cervini's B9 (without the hood scoop).
Old 11/1/06, 04:35 AM
Bullitt Member

sounds great louie, i was glad the hear of the improvements because i have the same combo on order with doug. i should get it when he returns from sema.