GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

JLT CAI

Search this Thread

Old 3/24/05, 02:05 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by tech@March 24, 2005, 10:20 AM

Why doesn't anyone care about K&N anymore. They have top quality parts and the price isn't that bad. Their R&D is phenominal.

Disclaimer: I don't work at K&N
Have they released their FIPK yet? Last I checked they haven't
Old 3/24/05, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by loudog@March 23, 2005, 11:33 AM
It's the rubber grommets that he is gluing in now, not the MAF. The glue simply holds the grommets in place so they don't pull out while they're being tightened. Since they expand as they're tightened, if you use the "back and forth" method to tighten, you should be in good shape.

I consider this problem to be a very minor issue that has now been addressed. I will also say the increase in power from my JLT is very, very noticeable. Not only is the off the line performance better, but acceleration at freeway speed is dramatically improved.

I add that I have no comparison to any other CAI as this is the only one I have purchased and installed.
Your review sounds exactly what I am looking for. I want more top end power!

As for the intake, I don't think anyone can say for sure whether the "fix" truely works. I will buy one, as long as I know that if I have a CEL problem, my problem will be addressed.
Old 3/24/05, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

K&N is dragging on this one,I called numerous times and they can't give me any time frame.A woman even told me 8 months just for CARB certification,but I think she was clueless.I asked for pics of pre-prod units,but got no reply.I even e-mailed diablsport cause I heard they were working with K&N with a tune,but got no reply either.
Old 3/24/05, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by max2000jp+March 24, 2005, 5:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(max2000jp @ March 24, 2005, 5:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-loudog@March 23, 2005, 11:33 AM
It's the rubber grommets that he is gluing in now, not the MAF. The glue simply holds the grommets in place so they don't pull out while they're being tightened. Since they expand as they're tightened, if you use the "back and forth" method to tighten, you should be in good shape.

I consider this problem to be a very minor issue that has now been addressed. I will also say the increase in power from my JLT is very, very noticeable. Not only is the off the line performance better, but acceleration at freeway speed is dramatically improved.

I add that I have no comparison to any other CAI as this is the only one I have purchased and installed.
Your review sounds exactly what I am looking for. I want more top end power!

As for the intake, I don't think anyone can say for sure whether the "fix" truely works. I will buy one, as long as I know that if I have a CEL problem, my problem will be addressed.
[/b][/quote]
I can assure you this is fixed on my end and so far has been fixed on all others just by tightening the screws differently. Very simple fix.
I have updated the instructions also.
I do understand your hesatation, but what your reading here is only a small few of the JLT kits out there with no problems what so ever.

Let me know if I can help.
Jay
Old 3/24/05, 04:59 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Tucker@March 24, 2005, 6:59 PM

I can assure you this is fixed on my end and so far has been fixed on all others just by tightening the screws differently. Very simple fix.
I have updated the instructions also.
I do understand your hesatation, but what your reading here is only a small few of the JLT kits out there with no problems what so ever.

Let me know if I can help.
Jay
I will buy one right now, granted that your fix is the solution. What's the best way to order one? Also, is your Predator tune available? If not, when and how do I acquire it? Can you email me the tune?
Old 3/24/05, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I already bought my JLT intake, I am waiting to install it till I decide on which tune to go with.

Initially I was going to have it tuned on a dyno, then I talked to the guy (he is a SCT distributor) and it was going to cost a fortune. He apparently called SCT about a pre-tuned tune specifically for the JLT, to save me some money, rather than tunning it himself. Apparently changing MAF sizes can be a pain to adjust to the proper A/F ratio, tuning to this would just eat dyno time which = $.

All that being said, I have made up my mind. I am going with the Diablo Predator with the custom DTP tune from Jay. Whenever it becomes available.

Jay- make sure ya let us know the minute it is availabe. Also, will I be able to buy the predator from you with the DTP tune and how much. I already have your intake.

Nick
Old 3/24/05, 07:04 PM
GT Member

1. Jay is excellent to deal with and does a very good job supporting his product.

2. Spend the money and get the DTP tune. I can't stress this enough. I paid a fortune for a custom tune from a reputable tuner and went home very disappointed. I think that because the 05 is so new it will take a while for people to figure out how to get the best results. DTP has done that already.

3. My CAI still has a problem with a check engine light and so far I haven't been able to fix it with the glue/screw down method. I think I might be the only one left though. I am going to do some more surgery on it this weekend because I believe in the product.
Old 3/24/05, 08:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by nicksolheim@March 24, 2005, 6:49 PM

Jay- make sure ya let us know the minute it is availabe. Also, will I be able to buy the predator from you with the DTP tune and how much. I already have your intake.

Nick
Jay,
Add me to the list of people waiting for this info as well. If I can get the CAI, the Predator, and the tune all from you I will
Old 3/24/05, 08:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Blk05GT@March 24, 2005, 9:07 PM
1. Jay is excellent to deal with and does a very good job supporting his product.

2. Spend the money and get the DTP tune. I can't stress this enough. I paid a fortune for a custom tune from a reputable tuner and went home very disappointed. I think that because the 05 is so new it will take a while for people to figure out how to get the best results. DTP has done that already.

3. My CAI still has a problem with a check engine light and so far I haven't been able to fix it with the glue/screw down method. I think I might be the only one left though. I am going to do some more surgery on it this weekend because I believe in the product.
Thanks for the 2 comments, but have you had the CEL checked at the dealer yet?
Old 3/24/05, 09:17 PM
GT Member

Couldn't get it to the dealership this week because of work. I put the stock airbox/tune back on and haven't had a CEL yet. I am going to get new nuts and redo the whole process this weekend with different glue and hopefully kill the problem once and for all. If it doesnt work, then back to the dealership next week.
Old 3/24/05, 10:12 PM
V6 Member

Kind of a silly question, but most CAI's get stuck real low down in the car while all the one for the new GTs seem to be placed in exactly the same place as the stock airbox. That being said, are puddles/rain going to be a worry with them at all? I have to live through the wet South Florida summer so big puddles and heavy rain are pretty much unavoidable.
Old 3/24/05, 11:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Another question for Jay,

I'm a local, Va Beach. I'm on the fence about adding a CAI. Who would you recommend locally to install the CAI, and put in the SCT tune? Do you allow local people to pick up the CAI instead of you shipping it to them? I'm looking to mod up my car when it gets a bit warmer and I have some time to do it. Doing the footwork now though. Thanks for any info.

-Ken
Old 3/25/05, 04:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by KenP@March 25, 2005, 1:32 AM
Another question for Jay,

I'm a local, Va Beach. I'm on the fence about adding a CAI. Who would you recommend locally to install the CAI, and put in the SCT tune? Do you allow local people to pick up the CAI instead of you shipping it to them? I'm looking to mod up my car when it gets a bit warmer and I have some time to do it. Doing the footwork now though. Thanks for any info.

-Ken
Absolutly you can come and pick it up. I'm in Great Bridge, just give me a call. As far as shops to install it and the SCT go to Dyno Tuned Performance. There the ones who do all my tuning and did the tune for this kit.
Call me or them
JLT 335 1940
DTP 549 3966
Old 3/25/05, 04:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BackwardHatClub@March 25, 2005, 12:15 AM
Kind of a silly question, but most CAI's get stuck real low down in the car while all the one for the new GTs seem to be placed in exactly the same place as the stock airbox. That being said, are puddles/rain going to be a worry with them at all? I have to live through the wet South Florida summer so big puddles and heavy rain are pretty much unavoidable.
No worries.
Water will never get this high.