GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Jet Chip Question

Search this Thread

Old 7/2/08, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet Chip Question

Hello, I'm new here and don't post very much. I've only had my mustang for about 2.5 months, and I love it, I used to drive a marauder which was fast for the car it was. But the mustang is considerably faster because of the weight difference. Anyhow on to my question.

A fried of mine has a Jet Chip that he has taken off of his 06 Mustang and wants to sell it to me for $100, although I might could jew him down some. But are these worth spending money on for performance. I don't believe it has a tune from any known tuners, just an off the shelf tune. All responses are welcome, thanks.
Old 7/2/08, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

NO.

Buy a CAI w/SCT X-Cal2 from Bamachips or Brenspeed. They are the best on the market now, and it will drastically open your car up.

The SCT X-Cal2 is a handheld tuner. It will come with tunes from either Bamachips or Brenspeed. Plus, you can always get more tunes with more mods.
Old 7/2/08, 10:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
times 862 on what Lee posted. I have no clue how jet chip has stayed in the bizz all these years with such a crappy product
Old 7/2/08, 10:46 AM
TMS Legacy Member

What they said, Go with an Xcal 2 and custom tune, the best way to go.
Old 7/2/08, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I won't comment on the Jet (I've never used one), but I WILL say the S197 ECU really NEEDS to be reprogrammed via flash. Stick to the Xcal or the Predator. You won't regret it.
Old 7/2/08, 11:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Anti-semitic remark aside, no, you're much better off with a custom tune.
Old 7/2/08, 11:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarkFireGT
i was wondering when someone would get pissed about that. nice first post guy.
Old 7/2/08, 05:24 PM
Cobra R Member

I'm not even jewish, but I have several jewish friends. Not much offends me, but crap like that does. "Might could jew him down". Nice.
Old 7/2/08, 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
oh take it easy
Old 7/2/08, 06:44 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
My dad put a chip in his 2005 F-350 Diesel, I don't know what brand, but he no longer has that truck, blew the motor, S.O.L. The tuners are tried and true, I will never trust the chip.
Old 7/2/08, 06:46 PM
Post *****

Also, that was quite an insensitive remark, and he should at least apologize for it. I'm not Jewish either, but some visitors and or other members might be. I'm not a PC guy, but thats just not cool.
Old 7/2/08, 08:30 PM

I apologize. I had no intentions of offending anyone. I'm from a very small town, and that is simply how we word things around here. I didn't even realize what I had said until I had read other's posts about the anti-semitic remark I had apparently made.

Regardless thanks everyone for your advice. I knew that I would prefer to have an x-cal 2 over a jet chip, but the difference in price is what had me curious.
Old 7/3/08, 09:23 AM
Cobra R Member

That's what I figured. But I pointed it out for that exact reason. A lot of people don't realize what they're saying when they say things like that, especially growing up in the south or small towns. No worries.
Old 7/3/08, 09:29 AM
Post *****

Same here. Being from south Texas its a common term. And can be heard from a few of my relatives. And while I get on to them, its just so engrained in the culture. Thanks for being stand up about it.
Old 7/3/08, 09:29 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
That's what I figured. But I pointed it out for that exact reason. A lot of people don't realize what they're saying when they say things like that, especially growing up in the south or small towns. No worries.
Haven't you just done the same thing with your remark "growing up in the south or small towns." ?
Old 7/3/08, 06:08 PM

I'm glad everyone has realized that I made a simple mistake are having no hard feelings, I simply put my foot in my mouth unknowingly is all. And Darkfire is correct I am from a Southern small town so he really isn't being stereotypical. Anyhow enough talk of this, hopefully it's in the past now and I'd really prefer to talk cars here.
Old 7/3/08, 06:15 PM
Post *****

Amen Bro.

So you looking at getting the X-cal with some tunes?

Check out Brenspeed, which I use, Doug at Bamachips, and Tillman.
Old 7/4/08, 03:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Wow I'm really surprised anyone even noticed, let alone made a deal, let alone said he should appologize. Especially with how obvious it was that it was used in an innocent manner and it being such a common place saying. Personally I think if something someone says unless used as a personal direct attack is enough for you to get riled up about, you should get some anger management or some vicodin.(No offense to angry people or druggies) It's only words people grow up.
There are plenty worse things in the world that are actually justified in getting butt-hurt over. (No offense to the people that suffer from hurt butts)

That aside back to topic I also agree on going the route of handheld tuner and tune with cai. Best bang for the buck.(No offense to good cheap ******)

Last edited by 2kanchoo; 7/4/08 at 03:15 AM.
Old 7/4/08, 01:34 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Well I'm certainly not going to bash a product, in which I have no personal experience with. But just as the others have pointed out, you simply just cannot go wrong with the X-cal II, or Diablosport Predator. As it allows you to adjust your own parameters, such as RPM shift points along with adding or decreasing fuel and spark without all the hassles and guesswork involved in learning how to operate the programmer properly.

IMO it's just simply the most reliable and dependable product on the market, which really pays for itself, every time you use it. All in all, it's definitely the way to go, for those who can't afford to have their vehicles custom tuned on the dyno

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/4/08 at 01:40 PM.
Old 7/4/08, 02:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2kanchoo
Wow I'm really surprised anyone even noticed, let alone made a deal, let alone said he should appologize. Especially with how obvious it was that it was used in an innocent manner and it being such a common place saying. Personally I think if something someone says unless used as a personal direct attack is enough for you to get riled up about, you should get some anger management or some vicodin.(No offense to angry people or druggies) It's only words people grow up.
There are plenty worse things in the world that are actually justified in getting butt-hurt over. (No offense to the people that suffer from hurt butts)

That aside back to topic I also agree on going the route of handheld tuner and tune with cai. Best bang for the buck.(No offense to good cheap ******)
Well, personally, I was just alerting him to what he was saying. My assumption was that he didn't even realize what he was saying was anti-semitic and would be offensive to many. My assumption was correct. Just trying to help him out.

Back to the topic, You can't go wrong with the SCT tuner. It has plenty of support and the tunes you'll get for it are a lot better than the JET tunes. You can also adjust parameters such as gear ratio, tire ratio, etc... All things you can't do with the JET chip.

Quick Reply: Jet Chip Question