GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I've joined the dead battery gang

Search this Thread

Old 12/24/07, 04:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Martimus
When the Motorcraft in mine died I replaced it with a Duralast. That battery lasted a year before it puked electrolyte all over the passenger shock tower of my car. Those batteries may be good in temperate climates but I have my doubts about their survivability in hotter climates...

After that experience I won't put that shinola in any vehicle I own!!!

Sorry Charlie but thats conjecture on your part! Please consider providing some documented facts to support this theory of yours? As I've indicated in the past I'd had Optima's last upwards of 5 years in the Arid-zona desert where summertimes reach well over 115 degrees fahrenheit. At one point I even had one last a full year with a quarter sized hole in the case. For inferior batteries they work well and last a long time when I use them!!!
I am not surprised about the Duralast... The Autozone duralast parts seem to be shoddy but Consumer Reports or another digest recommended their car batteries... I used to stick with Sears DH Gold but I am using the less expensive Meijer Pro-Cell in the Vic and T-bird without any problems.

The Optimas have a smaller capacity (Amp-hours, not the over-hyped cranking amps figure) than typical flooded lead acid batteries of the same BCI size. That's a documented and verifiable fact. I prefer having the largest capacity battery that fits in the tray rather than something smaller and more expensive.

I had an Optima Red-Top that lasted a year before it could no longer keep a charge in the winter. VRLA AGM batteries do not perform very well in cold climates.

I live in a climate where we can see -10F up to 100F ambient. I've never had a problem with flooded lead acid batteries in any of my cars. I've drained my Sears DH gold down to the point the starter was barely clicking but I managed to start the engine and drive home. I've started up the Vic at -10F with 11.5VDC on a Sears DH gold without any problems.

High ambient temperatures are one area where the VRLA AGM batteries typically perform better due to less chance of thermal runaway and boiling of a liquid electrolyte. However, keep in mind the OEM does conduct extensive vehicle testing in Death Valley and other high ambient temperature environments with a standard Motorcraft flooded lead acid battery.
Old 12/24/07, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by metroplex
The Optimas have a smaller capacity (Amp-hours, not the over-hyped cranking amps figure) than typical flooded lead acid batteries of the same BCI size. That's a documented and verifiable fact. I prefer having the largest capacity battery that fits in the tray rather than something smaller and more expensive.
Having smaller capacity does not, by itself, make the product inferior. Are they smaller than flooded cell batteries? Yes! Are they more expensive? Yes! But this does not, in and of itself, make them inferior. If it were there there are an awful lot of custom car builders in this country that are intentionally using inferior batteries.

If you look at the Optima product line you'll notice that they don't sell a lot of different sizes in their batteries. Heck... up until fairly recently the guide on their web site did not even list a compatible battery for a newer Ford Mustang. One thing I tend to think may be a problem for some is that they buy Optima's off the shelf at their local auto parts store or Costco, drop it in their vehicle, and expect it'll work just as well as their OEM battery. If they don't select the proper battery for their application then they're simply setting themselves up for failure.

Originally Posted by metroplex
High ambient temperatures are one area where the VRLA AGM batteries typically perform better due to less chance of thermal runaway and boiling of a liquid electrolyte. However, keep in mind the OEM does conduct extensive vehicle testing in Death Valley and other high ambient temperature environments with a standard Motorcraft flooded lead acid battery.
GM, Chrysler, Toyota, and several other car manufacturers have proving grounds out here in Arid-zona. Testing cars in this less than thrilling summertime blast furnace tends to be quite effective in determing how much heat these poor cars can take.

What we also see a lot of here in the desert is that few batteries last even close to the end of their warranty periods. One to two years is typically all we get from flooded cell batteries. In the 28 years I've lived out here 2 years is the most I've even had a battery last in any of the dozen or so cars and trucks I've owned.

I don't claim to be an expert on batteries... cars either! When I do know, however, is that I've replaced a LOT of properly maintained flooded cell batteries in my time here. In the five Optima batteries I've purchased and installed for my last six vehicles, however, I only replaced the one with the quarter sized hole in it. And that was about a year after finding the hole in the battery (and plugging it with putty purchased at an auto parts store).
Old 12/24/07, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Scott- just getting around from family stuff, and came upon this thread....... just FYI for whatever it's worth, when my battery pukes I'm putting in a red-top Optima. In my own first hand experience, it is the best battery I've ever owned, period. Not yellow, RED.
Old 12/25/07, 04:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for all the opinions guys. In the past I have always ran to Sears to get a Diehard. This time I am not under the gun to get the car up and running quickly so I have the luxory of doing a little investgation. I have always had great luck with Diehards over the years. Heck I have always had great luck with the original Motorcraft batteries in my cars. This is one of the shortest survivals yet. But I do have one more question I guess as far as traditional wet batteries go. Aren't they all made by one company mostly. Exide? At least that is what I have been told. I have to admit my first thouhts were to try an Opitma battery this time. I will do some more checking and pricing before I buy. Thanks and Merry Xmas.
Scott

P.S. Here is how consumer reports rates automotive batteries. And the Optima Red Top rates very well but is not one of their quick picks.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...eries-rate.htm
Old 12/25/07, 12:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott, Mine hasn't puked yet, but if it does during the warranty period, I'll try to get them to give me one, if not, I'll buy one of these, Diehard, Motorcraft, or a Wal-mart brand (I've had really good luck with them). In fact, a Wal-Mart battery is in the '66 right now, been there for about 3 years with minimal driving, just starting it up from time to time, letting it idle some, & moving it into or out of the garage. This past summer I've had to charge it up a little & will probably have to the next time I want to start it since its been sitting for some time now. Thats my opinion, hope it helps you some!!
Old 12/26/07, 09:08 AM
Bullitt Member

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the current generation Mustang to older cars is that there are a LOT more electronics active in the 05+ than before... When mine sat for two weeks (waiting for clear weather to get to storage), the battery was too far gone to start the car, and I couldn't even push it out of the garage because the electronic shift interlock wouldn't let the trans get out of park...

My battery is clean enough to eat off of (no draw due to high-Z path from dirt), and the only key-off accessory that I added was an alarm, not set in the garage.
Old 12/26/07, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

So, has anybody heard what the hell it is that is draining our batteries? I just replaced mine 2 months ago after it was 3 years old (wouldn't take a charge) and the new one dies after about 2 weeks. I know to put it on charge if it sits more than a week. Any TSB on this? Mustangs aren't the only cars with lots of electronics and memory. WTH?
Old 12/26/07, 12:41 PM

Battery Issue

You guys must not read these Forums.

First on battery brands - Except for the Optima virtually all batteries come from one or two plants in the us. It really makes no difference which brand you get. You just need to get good quality in what ever line you choose. Not the Cheepest!!

As to the draining situation - If you let most late model Fords set long enough they will drain the battery. Too much stuff running in the background when the car is off. My Expedition will do the same thing if it sets long enough. Quicker in cold weather.

Make sure you turn your Shaker off before you turn the car off. This has been one issue which has been isolated as a problem. Ford does not have a fix that I am aware of. This will drain battery more quickly.
Old 12/27/07, 04:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Optima is made by Johnson Controls, the same guys that make a wide variety of other batteries including the OEM Motorcrafts.
Old 12/27/07, 07:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have noticed if I turn everything off in the car the battery holds up longer, so the statement from svfetter is correct.
Old 12/27/07, 07:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I always turn off all accessories before I shut off the ignition, it's a good habit to follow I suppose.
Old 12/27/07, 08:42 AM
Cobra Member

I also shut every thing off prior to turning the car off and my car sits for weeks at a time without being started and I have yet to have a problem Thankfully.

Thanks to this forum which is where I had heard of this issue. Also the Stock Motorcraft Batteries in y opinion are very good batteis. I have seen them last as loing as 8-9 years. Then once a cold spell hits they are done. The cold is the worst thing for a battery.
Old 12/27/07, 09:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 06GT4RAD
I also shut every thing off prior to turning the car off and my car sits for weeks at a time without being started and I have yet to have a problem Thankfully.

Thanks to this forum which is where I had heard of this issue. Also the Stock Motorcraft Batteries in y opinion are very good batteis. I have seen them last as loing as 8-9 years. Then once a cold spell hits they are done. The cold is the worst thing for a battery.

Hi Richard,
I have also had great luck with Motorcraft batteries. When I get back home from vacation I am going to price Motorcraft, Diehard and the Optima for price and warranty before I make my final decision on what to buy anything. Can you buy Motorcraft batteries from anyone other than a Ford dealer? I am sure their list price will be high. I am see that Sears has a battery like the Optima that gets great marks in all of the categories on the consumer report. But it price is like $180. But it also has like a 10 warranty. Anyone know anything about them?
Scott
Old 12/27/07, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Most batteries today carry a 3 year full replacement with a 10 year pro-rated warranty.

I would just get a decent flooded lead-acid battery like a Sears DH Gold or Motorcraft.
Old 12/27/07, 10:38 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,699 Posts
Originally Posted by anthony05gt
So, has anybody heard what the hell it is that is draining our batteries? I just replaced mine 2 months ago after it was 3 years old (wouldn't take a charge) and the new one dies after about 2 weeks. I know to put it on charge if it sits more than a week. Any TSB on this? Mustangs aren't the only cars with lots of electronics and memory. WTH?
Anthony, here's the latest TSB..Anyway hope you'll find it as helpful !

Old 12/27/07, 11:00 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I have an Optima works beauty

No problems here has not died even after 3 - 4 weeks car parked. Quick starts and best of all zero leakage. As we all know any acid leakage of any kind is bad Ju Ju! Here's baby red top at the ready

Jed

Old 12/27/07, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some folks were mentioning Duralasts before, and I'm in for that vote. In Arizona, it doesn't matter what car you have, summer kills batteries. I've gone through a battery every year like clockwork in several cars. I buy the Autozone Duralast batteries and just get a fresh one every year, no charge. Never a hassle. 3 years on a stock battery? You sir make me jealous!
Old 12/28/07, 01:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I went back to the OEM battery.
Old 12/28/07, 05:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's incredible... Ford recommends driving over 2 hours at 1500 RPM. Do they expect everyone to live 120 miles away from work or something?
Old 12/28/07, 07:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Where did you get this info, Metroplex?

Quick Reply: I've joined the dead battery gang