GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...

Search this Thread

Old 2/25/07, 04:55 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...

I had been chatting with Doug about my car and getting it custom tuned before I even brought it home from the dealership. So, it felt like destiny when I emailed him about buying the X-Cal II and his custom tunes and he told me he was coming out to Los Angeles for the weekend to assist on a project to install three X-chargers on three V6 Mustangs simultanously.

What Luck! I thought I'd never get a chance to meet the Legendary Guru of Custom Tuning, but he told me to drop by on Saturday afternoon so he could deliver my X-Cal 2 and install his Bamachips tunes on my car personally. When I got there it looked like Mustang City. There were blue ones, black ones, two green ones, a sweet yellow one, convertables, V6s, GTs and even a Hertz GT-H rental car. I met a lot of great guys there and was surprised that many of them were TMS board members. Tom, Eddie, Phil, Dave, Charlie, Ray, Eric, and a few others who's name I forgot (sorry) it was nice to meet you guys in person.

Anyway, as soon I plugged in the X-Cal II (no point beating around the bush) I went right to the 91 race tune and loaded it up. Holy crap! I don't want to sound "cliche" because I know there are dozens of other posts about what a huge difference Doug's tunes make...but I really can't say enough to make you understand what has happened to my car...

From the moment I started it up and reved it to 3000 RPMs, the exhaust made a sound I've only heard previously above 5000RPMs and the gas pedal felt much heavier and responsive. Doug jumped in the passanger seat and said, "Let's take her out for a spin." Before my mind processed his words, a small voice from within said, "I'm about to take Mr. Bamachips for a ride in my car."

I nailed the gas pedal and was thrown back in my seat as my exhaust let out a yelp and the engine opened up like a flower. Redline came in a flash and as I shifted from 1st into 2nd, the back tires chirped and Doug yelled, "There it is!" in his southern accent. From that moment I've had the Bamachips smile on my face and my cheeks hurt.

Have you ever experienced a skill or art form so well executed that it can only be described as graceful? That's the only word to describe how my car runs now. Yeah there's massive power, but the real beauty is when I take my foot off the gas and it doesn't lunge or slow down like someone is applying the brakes when it was stock. Instead, it comes off the power perfectly and decelerates nice and easy like a car should. If I wiggle my toe on the gas pedal the car will react ever so slightly; there seems to be a hundred more increments of throttle than before when it was just light acceleration and then sudden thunder. There is definitely more control over the acceleration according to how much pressure you apply with your foot. This is how a Mustang should drive.

More importantly, I will tell you that Doug is every bit as helpful and patient in person as he is in his emails. He is a perfect gentleman and made a huge impression on me. Thank you Doug...

Yet another satisfied Bamachips customer,
~Ray

P.S. When are you going to jump on the Bamachips bandwagon?
Old 2/25/07, 07:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

dude that is the same way i felt when i installed the JLT and his 93 race tune, the smile stayed on my face for weeks, the car went from a quarter horse to a thourogh(sp?) bread, everything just felt better about the car, and the customer service is great!! good choice with a tuner and hope the modding continues
Old 2/25/07, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

+1 for Doug!! I love his 91 Torq tune!!
Old 2/25/07, 11:10 PM
GT Member

you guys are killing me! I can't wait for mine to get here.
Old 2/25/07, 11:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up x-men at the x-party

Hey Ray, it was nice meeting you yesterday. Congrats on the car and tunes. It was a splendid day. Especially meeting all the great TMS'ers out there.

I guess Doug fixed the pinging. Can't wait to get mine!

Ray
Attached Thumbnails I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...-x21.jpg   I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...-x22.jpg   I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...-x23.jpg   I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...-x30.jpg  
Old 2/25/07, 11:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
Hey Ray, it was nice meeting you yesterday. Congrats on the car and tunes. It was a splendid day. Especially meeting all the great TMS'ers out there.

I guess Doug fixed the pinging. Can't wait to get mine!

Ray
Hey Ray,
Excellent shots of me installing my tunes! You even got a shot of Mr. Bamachips as he waits with a smile while his tunes are being loaded into my car (Doug is the guy wearing the black X-Charger shirt). Yeah, as soon as he changed my air/fuel ratios to those taken from a Steeda CAI-equipped car tested on his dyno...my car was magic.

I was telling my fiancee about your giant glass roof and she really likes the idea...I'm thinking about it. hehehe

When are you getting your tunes?

~the other Ray
Old 2/26/07, 06:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Talking you can call me Ray...

Originally Posted by tifo
Hey Ray,
Excellent shots of me installing my tunes! You even got a shot of Mr. Bamachips as he waits with a smile while his tunes are being loaded into my car (Doug is the guy wearing the black X-Charger shirt). Yeah, as soon as he changed my air/fuel ratios to those taken from a Steeda CAI-equipped car tested on his dyno...my car was magic.

I was telling my fiancee about your giant glass roof and she really likes the idea...I'm thinking about it. hehehe

When are you getting your tunes?

~the other Ray
I ordered my kit from Doug about 10 days ago. He said the C&L CAI was on back order. It might ship this week ( I hope ).

Two options for the roof, CDC GlassBack and Saleen. The Saleen is sleeker but I didn't know it was available until I had mine already installed:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=168

Keep in touch.

The 1st Ray
Attached Thumbnails I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...-attachment-1.jpg   I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...-attachment.jpg   I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...-attachment-2.jpg  
Old 2/26/07, 07:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

BamaChips ROCKS!
Old 2/26/07, 08:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
BamaChips ROCKS!
+1
Old 2/27/07, 05:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I had been chatting with Doug about my car and getting it custom tuned before I even brought it home from the dealership. So, it felt like destiny when I emailed him about buying the X-Cal II and his custom tunes and he told me he was coming out to Los Angeles for the weekend to assist on a project to install three X-chargers on three V6 Mustangs simultanously.

What Luck! I thought I'd never get a chance to meet the Legendary Guru of Custom Tuning, but he told me to drop by on Saturday afternoon so he could deliver my X-Cal 2 and install his Bamachips tunes on my car personally. When I got there it looked like Mustang City. There were blue ones, black ones, two green ones, a sweet yellow one, convertables, V6s, GTs and even a Hertz GT-H rental car. I met a lot of great guys there and was surprised that many of them were TMS board members. Tom, Eddie, Phil, Dave, Charlie, Ray, Eric, and a few others who's name I forgot (sorry) it was nice to meet you guys in person.

Anyway, as soon I plugged in the X-Cal II (no point beating around the bush) I went right to the 91 race tune and loaded it up. Holy crap! I don't want to sound "cliche" because I know there are dozens of other posts about what a huge difference Doug's tunes make...but I really can't say enough to make you understand what has happened to my car...

From the moment I started it up and reved it to 3000 RPMs, the exhaust made a sound I've only heard previously above 5000RPMs and the gas pedal felt much heavier and responsive. Doug jumped in the passanger seat and said, "Let's take her out for a spin." Before my mind processed his words, a small voice from within said, "I'm about to take Mr. Bamachips for a ride in my car."

I nailed the gas pedal and was thrown back in my seat as my exhaust let out a yelp and the engine opened up like a flower. Redline came in a flash and as I shifted from 1st into 2nd, the back tires chirped and Doug yelled, "There it is!" in his southern accent. From that moment I've had the Bamachips smile on my face and my cheeks hurt.

Have you ever experienced a skill or art form so well executed that it can only be described as graceful? That's the only word to describe how my car runs now. Yeah there's massive power, but the real beauty is when I take my foot off the gas and it doesn't lunge or slow down like someone is applying the brakes when it was stock. Instead, it comes off the power perfectly and decelerates nice and easy like a car should. If I wiggle my toe on the gas pedal the car will react ever so slightly; there seems to be a hundred more increments of throttle than before when it was just light acceleration and then sudden thunder. There is definitely more control over the acceleration according to how much pressure you apply with your foot. This is how a Mustang should drive.

More importantly, I will tell you that Doug is every bit as helpful and patient in person as he is in his emails. He is a perfect gentleman and made a huge impression on me. Thank you Doug...

Yet another satisfied Bamachips customer,
~Ray

P.S. When are you going to jump on the Bamachips bandwagon?
Yeah, I hear ya. Doug was in St. Louis for a dyno day (actually 2 days).
Dyno'd 10 Mustangs.
The thing about Doug is he takes his time with each driver and each car. He is in no hurry what so ever to finish. like he'll spend all day with you.
Doug is what I call "the good ole boy" from Birmingham.

One thing that may surprise you is, if your car needs a part to complete a dyno and tune and you dont have it. He will run out to his Roush and take the part off of his car and install it on your car to complete the tune

He also will answer any questions you might have and he will also explain what he is doing while tuning the car.

This is why I recommend any group of folks to contact Doug for a Dyno Day. I think Doug will drive or fly anywhere if needed.

"Have Will Travel"
Old 2/27/07, 06:41 AM

Glad to see another happy BamaChips customer!! Doug is the man!!
Old 2/27/07, 07:48 AM
GT Member

Its been a month and i still have the smile plastered on my face. I did notice that my gas mileage dropped i think its due to I injoy hearing the rumble coming from the rear.
Old 2/27/07, 04:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ray Man
I ordered my kit from Doug about 10 days ago. He said the C&L CAI was on back order. It might ship this week ( I hope ).

Two options for the roof, CDC GlassBack and Saleen. The Saleen is sleeker but I didn't know it was available until I had mine already installed:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...&postcount=168

Keep in touch.

The 1st Ray
Yeah, the Saleen looks pretty nice. Hey wait a minute...why are you 1st Ray?

Doesn't that title require a drag race first?

~Ray #1
Old 2/27/07, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

cool. I ordered my tuner from bamachips today. I look forward to receiving it.
Old 2/27/07, 09:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Cool I'm number one...

Yeah, the Saleen looks pretty nice. Hey wait a minute...why are you 1st Ray?

Doesn't that title require a drag race first?

~Ray #1
No, I claimed it first so I automatically win.

I did get my car before you.

The Best Ray
Old 2/27/07, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
OK that's it I'm going to reread what info I need to send Doug and order one, what do I want for tune anything with some Woop and not stock.
Old 2/27/07, 09:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
OK that's it I'm going to reread what info I need to send Doug and order one, what do I want for tune anything with some Woop and not stock.
The 91/93 race tune has some serious woop.
Old 2/27/07, 10:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
what about the Performance ? gee which way, get a ticket for exceeding the speed limit or get a ticket for Breaking the sound barrier LMAO
Old 2/27/07, 10:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

There is a thread on here somewhere explaining the differences in the various tunes. do a search, you should be able to find it.
Old 3/1/07, 07:13 PM

This is just not fair! Today I received my 91 Race tune from Doug and we have a full blown blizzard going on outside right now in Iowa.

I have read many good things about this tune and can't wait to try it out. I don't think it would be in my best interest to try it the first time in snow.

Come on spring!!!

Quick Reply: I've got a Bamachips smile that won't come off...