GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Issues after BMR LCA install

Search this Thread

Old 7/18/07, 06:52 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issues after BMR LCA install

Recently had the BMR billet lowers with relocation brackets installed and now after a few days I hear an intermittent metal clunk from the rear drivers side. Doesn't happen all the time but now it happens sometimes when I'm accelerating out of first and not just if I roll over a bump or something. When my buddy installed them they were torqued to spec. I first checked the clearance between the panhard and my low profile axle girdle and didn't see any issues there. Called BMR and they said to re-torque them again and sounded like it may be coming from the front of the lower away from the axle. They said sometimes they have heard that the factory bolts may work lose and need to be tightened again. We're planning on inspecting everything just haven't had a chance. This is my daily so I'm hoping that it doesn't get too much worse before we can get to it this weekend. Anything else I could be missing here?

Thanks
Old 7/18/07, 07:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1
Recently had the BMR billet lowers with relocation brackets installed and now after a few days I hear an intermittent metal clunk from the rear drivers side. Doesn't happen all the time but now it happens sometimes when I'm accelerating out of first and not just if I roll over a bump or something. When my buddy installed them they were torqued to spec. I first checked the clearance between the panhard and my low profile axle girdle and didn't see any issues there. Called BMR and they said to re-torque them again and sounded like it may be coming from the front of the lower away from the axle. They said sometimes they have heard that the factory bolts may work lose and need to be tightened again. We're planning on inspecting everything just haven't had a chance. This is my daily so I'm hoping that it doesn't get too much worse before we can get to it this weekend. Anything else I could be missing here?

Thanks
hi there. i researched that factory spec is 119 ft/lbs and the bolts really not supposed to be re-used. but if you do re-use, everyone here has been saying to use LOCTITE blue so it stays bolted on.

good luck i hope it works! i have some noises now that need fixing too. its very annoying! LOL
Old 7/18/07, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Try using blue locktite and torque them to 140 lb/ft of torque.. Also, do you have the spherical bearings or poly bushings... if you have the spherical bearings you are going to have metallic banging noises... that's just the nature of the beast (spherical bearings).

Also, check the sway bar mounting bolts to see if they are still tight.

Bobby M.
Old 7/18/07, 09:53 AM
GT Member

Prior to insallation I spoke with BMR and they said they re-use the factory bolts all the time as long as their not loosened & tightened a great deal of times. If you look at BMR's instructions they state 130 ft/lbs but we are going to re-check them. Here's an issue I did discover this morning while I got under the car at work. The inside of the axle brace that the control arm brackets mount to is actually pusing down against the bushings - on both sides, drivers seems worse than passenger. If you refer to BMR's instructions with pictures it offers a good reference of what I'm talking about. Obviously I knew this should not be so I called BMR. Their awesome....their rush shipping a new set of bushings already so I can have them by Friday. Then right now their actually installing the mounting brackets on their '05 to check this out. They recommended moving down to the lower hole but like I told them I should be able to use either without issue as they agreed.

I'm running the poly's the billets only come with these bushings. Is anyone else running this identical setup? Billet lowers with relocation brackets utilizing the top hole? This just doesn't make sense and there's really only one way those brackets can get installed and it's identical to what is reflected in the pictures.
Old 7/18/07, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

With the BMR relocation brackets, if you are using the OEM rear sway bar, it may be hitting on the relo bracket, mine hits on the right side bracket when I turn to the right and up an inclined drive. Doesn't make noise any other time.

Bobby M.
Old 7/18/07, 03:45 PM
GT Member

Thanks...I'll have to check that out as well
Old 7/18/07, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rudiepoo1

Thanks
One thing BMR doesnt tell you is that the bolts and nuts are all torque to yield and should not be reused (according to Ford).

Some guys have gotten away with reusing the same bolts and nuts and others have not.

I had the same issue, tried to reuse bolts and nuts, didnt work for me.

Installed new bolts and nuts...........problem solved. (cost $34.00 from the Ford Dealer Parts Dept.)

By the way, keep an eye on the passenger side reloc bracket. The rear sway bar has a habit of rubbing against it.

Good luck.
Old 7/19/07, 09:41 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GT John
One thing BMR doesnt tell you is that the bolts and nuts are all torque to yield and should not be reused (according to Ford).

Some guys have gotten away with reusing the same bolts and nuts and others have not.

I had the same issue, tried to reuse bolts and nuts, didnt work for me.

Installed new bolts and nuts...........problem solved. (cost $34.00 from the Ford Dealer Parts Dept.)

By the way, keep an eye on the passenger side reloc bracket. The rear sway bar has a habit of rubbing against it.

Good luck.
Thanks John,
Yeah...In my case BMR was up front and said the nuts and bolts should be able to be re-used (they do it all the time) without issue. My buddy that installed them re-used his as well with no issues. Now since I have new bushings on the way I'm thinking about getting new factory nuts & bolts as well. Does anyone have the correct Ford part#'s for the nuts & bolts for the front & rear of the lower control arm for a '07 Mustang GT? Or any suggestions on where to find them?

Thanks!
Old 7/19/07, 09:47 AM
GT Member

Also forgot to post my recent findings, The inside of the axle brace that the control arm brackets mount to is actually pusing down against the bushings - on both sides, drivers seems worse than passenger. BMR is awesome....their rush shipping a new set of bushings already so I can have them for tomorrow. Yesterday they actually installed the mounting brackets on their '05 to check this out. They stated that since the billet lowers are thicker than their other lowers that the bracket would come in contact with the bushing if the arms are in the top spot of the relocation bracket and that it should not be an issue. Can't say I agree with that one. They recommended moving down to the lower hole but like I told them I should be able to use either without issue as they agreed. Is anyone else running this same setup, billet lowers w/relocation brackets? I'd like to find out if anyone else has run into this or has any pictures.

Thanks