GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installing Flowmasters

Search this Thread

Old 3/5/08, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Flowmasters

I couldnt decide between pypes MM and the flow AT's, well today I bit the bullet and got the flows. I am kicking myself for waiting until this late in the day to buy them, now I dont have time to install before it gets dark and I have to go to work .

How difficult is it to de install the factory mufflers? I assume the clamp has bent the metal and its a difficult task to get the factory muffler pulled off of the exhaust pipe?
Old 3/5/08, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
It's not hard at all to de-install the stock mufflers. It's one bolt per pipe. The hard part is getting at the hanger bolts. I used a ratcheting box wrench, that seemed to do the trick.

Do yourself a favor and loosen the "H" pipe bolts as well once you crack the muffler pipe bolts. Being able to move the over-axle pipes around makes the install a snap, and also allows you to center your Flows just right.

I've had Flows for 2 years, and I still love them! (Hey, where did the thumbs up icon go?)
Old 3/5/08, 05:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
It's not hard at all to de-install the stock mufflers. It's one bolt per pipe. The hard part is getting at the hanger bolts. I used a ratcheting box wrench, that seemed to do the trick.

Do yourself a favor and loosen the "H" pipe bolts as well once you crack the muffler pipe bolts. Being able to move the over-axle pipes around makes the install a snap, and also allows you to center your Flows just right.

I've had Flows for 2 years, and I still love them! (Hey, where did the thumbs up icon go?)

I agree with the suggested install method. I do not have the Flows on my car but I know others that do and they sound great. You have to go deeper for the thumbs up smiley. Only God knows why!!
Old 3/6/08, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I got them on, install wasnt to bad. Just as everyone said it would be.

The flows sound good, Im hoping they get a bit louder as I break them in.
The tips could use another inch or so on them, they dont stick out as much as say the GTA tips do.
Old 3/6/08, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think the Flows will get louder, I have had them for 2 years and they are still the same volume. I think only a glass pack or a muffler with some type of packing material in it will get louder as the packing breaks down or in however you look at it.
Old 3/10/08, 12:45 PM

Mine got considerably louder after alot of extreme cold weather driving. Most likely a change of the temper of the baffles.They still sound great though, better actually.
Old 3/10/08, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Flow ATs are definitely louder with the C&L street intake on... put the stock intake back on today for warranty work, and there's a definite volume difference.
Old 3/12/08, 04:36 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Etnix
I got them on, install wasnt to bad. Just as everyone said it would be.

The flows sound good, Im hoping they get a bit louder as I break them in.
The tips could use another inch or so on them, they dont stick out as much as say the GTA tips do.
I've had flow's for about 6 month's now and they do get louder .