GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

installing a bbk cai and throttle body monday

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/06, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will this require a tune or not ... second if it does which programmer works with the bbk pieces
thanks WILL
Old 3/10/06, 05:38 AM

please help
Old 3/10/06, 06:35 AM
GT Member

In my last issue of 5.0 mustang they did an article on this same setup. It required NO tune and pulled out around 28-30 HP on the dyno. I can't remember exactly but it was around those numbers.
Old 3/10/06, 01:19 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mustang Kid @ March 10, 2006, 8:38 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
In my last issue of 5.0 mustang they did an article on this same setup. It required NO tune and pulled out around 28-30 HP on the dyno. I can't remember exactly but it was around those numbers.
[/b][/quote]
thanks kid alot [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banana.gif[/img]
Old 3/11/06, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

You are probably not going to get a lot of help because not many people here have that set up. Most common is the JLT and C&L used with the SCT XCAL 2.
Old 3/11/06, 09:13 AM

I recommend you get a dyno tune for any mods of the air system. These vehicles are very touchy with the MAF system and all. A lot of people report check engine lights and all when adding a throttle body. I got an SCT2 tuner and my installer did a dyno tune and saved that program into my SCT2. It works great. I have the 62mm TB by JoeBlow Racing wiht a K&N FIPK and it works great with the dyno tune and all.

Also, if you have an automatic transmission, the SCT will allow you to have the shift points changed and also the shift pressure for a good firm shift instead of the mushy stock shift.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 3/11/06, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windevil @ March 9, 2006, 7:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
will this require a tune or not ... second if it does which programmer works with the bbk pieces
thanks WILL
[/b][/quote]
will, it will...whether or not you will it to work without it. [/confusing sentence]

it should be ok (aka safe) without a tune, but you will get 1.5x the benefit if you do tune it.
Old 3/12/06, 12:00 AM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(windevil @ March 9, 2006, 7:03 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
thanks WILL
[/b][/quote]

Short answer is yes. I had GMS Tb as one of my first mods. No cold air kit and it ran great. Noticeable difference in seat of the pants acceleration. No tune needed. Read several stories of others who had trouble with cold air kits and TB who had engines shut off and throwing a 2105 throttle actuator code on their predator, I started throwing those same codes after a I added a Vortech S trim with aftercooler. Dynoed at 424 RWHP 384 RWT. Experienced engine shut off on hard acceleration at anywhere between 4000 and 6000 rpm at least a dozen times. Also throttle was very touchy in first and had a tendency to fluctuate. Had guy at my shop adjust it and learned several others were reporting the same problem . He indicated that they were coming from the factory that way. Adjustment didn't work. I finally got frustrated today and took the GMS TB off and put the stock one back on. Friend and I did it in 45 minutes. Spring mechanism was a little tricky but so far so good. Bottom line there is a certain point at which the computer objects to air flow changes into the intake. Expect to make several adjustments to get it right. In my case the small gain in horsepower was not worth the reduction in reliability. I added a 17 lb aluminum driveshaft to make up for the loss. Car still performs great and I don't notice much difference. Maybe JR can make mine work. If I had any time I'd hit him up, I'm sure he'd help me out. I just didn't have the time to keep bringing my car back and forth to the shop to make it all work together.
Old 3/12/06, 03:41 PM

thanks all I will do a lil research and find out which programmer works best