GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installed FRPP X-Pipe and FRPP GTA Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/08, 06:38 PM
Den
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed FRPP X-Pipe and FRPP GTA Mufflers

All I have to say is putting that x-pipe on is a PITA without taking the entire H-pipe out of the car. Keep in mind I did it with jack stands in my garage. I couldn't get it to slip on all the way on the motor side because it was binding so bad. I tried heating it, pounding it, reinstalling it. I ended up just saying "screw it" and pulling out the entire H-Pipe. It slipped right on this way. I ended up getting the X on perfect with no binding at all.

I then went on to installing the FRPP GTA Mufflers. They went on without a hitch. I have to say I am very disappointed with how quiet these mufflers are. I listened to all the youtube videos and they sounded pretty good. Mine are barely louder than stock. Will they get any louder than this when they break in? Maybe I should have went with the stingers. Oh well.

Den
Old 1/12/08, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

yes, they will get considerably louder over time.
Old 1/12/08, 06:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Den,
Give the GTA's a few hundred miles,will make a difference. Still not going to set off alarms as you drive by,but they get a nice deep growl as they break in. If you want loud, the GTA's are not what you want.
Old 1/12/08, 08:11 PM
V6 Member

Mine got louder after a bit but I am still stock other than the GTA's. So when I go with MAC headers and Pro Chamber it will get louder again.

Gib

Oh yeah nice ride!!
Old 1/12/08, 08:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe
Mine got louder after a bit but I am still stock other than the GTA's. So when I go with MAC headers and Pro Chamber it will get louder again.

Gib

Oh yeah nice ride!!
I think I'm doing that exact set-up. MAC L/Ts and o/r prochamber
Old 1/12/08, 08:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Den
All I have to say is putting that x-pipe on is a PITA without taking the entire H-pipe out of the car. Keep in mind I did it with jack stands in my garage. I couldn't get it to slip on all the way on the motor side because it was binding so bad. I tried heating it, pounding it, reinstalling it. I ended up just saying "screw it" and pulling out the entire H-Pipe. It slipped right on this way. I ended up getting the X on perfect with no binding at all.

I then went on to installing the FRPP GTA Mufflers. They went on without a hitch. I have to say I am very disappointed with how quiet these mufflers are. I listened to all the youtube videos and they sounded pretty good. Mine are barely louder than stock. Will they get any louder than this when they break in? Maybe I should have went with the stingers. Oh well.

Den
Mine seemed to gain some volume after time!
Old 1/12/08, 08:47 PM
Den
GT Member

Good to hear about them getting louder! I didn't want super loud. Just enough to make is more fun to drive. I'll give it some time. If I still don't like it I'll put a bassani x-pipe or something.

On a side note, I played a joke on my wife. She came in the garage and asked how I was doing with the install. I still had the mufflers disconnected at the back of the x-pipe. I told her I was done and asked if she wanted to hear the new mufflers. She said "sure" so I fired it up with no mufflers. The look on her face was hilarious. She started going on about how the neighbors were going to be ****ed. At the same time, the lady across the street was unloading groceries from her car. She was over there shaking her head in disgust. It was pretty loud but not as bad as you'd think. I would say my old 5.0 with offroad and dynomax mufflers was louder.

Den
Old 1/12/08, 08:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Den
Good to hear about them getting louder! I didn't want super loud. Just enough to make is more fun to drive. I'll give it some time. If I still don't like it I'll put a bassani x-pipe or something.

On a side note, I played a joke on my wife. She came in the garage and asked how I was doing with the install. I still had the mufflers disconnected at the back of the x-pipe. I told her I was done and asked if she wanted to hear the new mufflers. She said "sure" so I fired it up with no mufflers. The look on her face was hilarious. She started going on about how the neighbors were going to be ****ed. At the same time, the lady across the street was unloading groceries from her car. She was over there shaking her head in disgust. It was pretty loud but not as bad as you'd think. I would say my old 5.0 with offroad and dynomax mufflers was louder.

Den
Den, Thats a good one!.. I got those looks from my neighbors when I had my SLP"s
Old 1/12/08, 09:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by JonCo
I think I'm doing that exact set-up. MAC L/Ts and o/r prochamber
Sorry for the thread jack but,

We did a tour at MAC a couple months back and just an FYI, they give military good deals/discounts. They sold me on their product while I was there. They are a great bunch of people. We got to go into the manufacturing facility and everything. It was a good time.

Gib
Old 1/12/08, 09:33 PM
GT Member

My GTAs didn't get any louder with time, I think that's a myth. They were too quiet in my book and I upgraded to Stingers. With the FRPP X-pipe the Stingers sound really wicked.
Old 1/12/08, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have the FRPP X-pipe and GTAs and am very happy with the sound. A nice rumble, but not offensive or too loud. It seemed like mine got a little louder after a few hundred miles.
Old 1/13/08, 06:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

sorry to double jack this thread, but JonW, love that avatar.

Sam
Old 1/13/08, 06:19 AM
V6 Member

When I first put my GTA's on, I almost cried... They were quieter than the stockers. Give them a couple hundred miles tho.. they get alot better. One piece of advice I give to everyone who asks about GTA's is to have someone drive your car while you stand outside and listen to it after you have some miles on the GTA's... You will be very surprised at the difference between what you hear in the car and what the world hears.

I recently added a set of short tube headers and, IMO, my Exhaust sounds perfect for what I wanted.
Old 1/13/08, 07:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have to agree with Bob. The sound on the outside is much more impressive than what you hear in the cabin.
Old 1/13/08, 08:06 AM
GT Member

I don't know why so many like the GTAs... is it because they're on the Shelbys or something? I think they're over-rated. Mine weren't even noticable versus stock, and then without cats it sounded like crap.

Bassani catted X and Stingers now. Couldn't be much happier.
Old 1/13/08, 08:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

My GTA's were louder than stock ,but quieter than my flows,and no drone.When the ford x-pipe was added they became much louder,but still quieter than the flows and much easier to live with ,especially at city speeds with lots of starts and stops. The x-pipe was difficult to put on , even with a hoist and is a little more intrusive at highway speeds.
Old 1/13/08, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine got a little over time, but not really the sound I was looking for. Swapped them out for a MAC Axle-back and am much happier now.
Old 1/13/08, 09:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I done this very addition and they grow on you over a few miles.
Old 1/13/08, 04:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The GTAs have a deeper tone than stock and are only slightly louder at idle.
They are quite a bit louder at WOT though.

There are much louder exhausts out there, but they just don't sound as good. What good is volume if it sounds like crap?

(this is all subjective, though)
Old 1/13/08, 06:15 PM
Den
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gibs07GTcpe

Oh yeah nice ride!!
Hey, thanks Gib!

Quick Reply: Installed FRPP X-Pipe and FRPP GTA Mufflers