GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Installed flowmasters but it's leaking

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 08:06 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed the flowmaster axle-back this afternoon and I'm really happy with the sound. Has a slight drone under light acceleration but its nothing compared to what my 99 cobra had. The problem is the exhaust is leaking on both sides right where the axle-back meets the mid pipe. I've tried repositioning the clamp and it's as tight as I can get it but there is still a good stream of exhaust leaking out at the connection when the car is running. Am I gonna have to get it welded or am I doing something wrong?

Also I can't get the left tip centered. It says you can adjust its position but it won't move no matter what I try. It's stuck about 1/2" from the right side of the rear bumper with about 1.5" from the left side. The right side is centered perfect.

Any help, tips, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 6/9/05, 08:30 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the same problem with my magnaflows. Did you make sure the notch in the inlet of the muffler lines up with the tab on the mid-pipe? FORD changed exhaust systems during production. The Magnaflows I received worked on the latest version, not the one I had. If the notch is correct, loosen the clamp. While pulling down on the mid pipe wiggle the inlet of the muffler up and down. This moved the mid pipe into the inlet by over 1/2" solving my "leaking" problem. It just sounds to me that you don't have the mufflers in far enough.
Old 6/9/05, 08:30 PM

Contact Flowmaster immediately! This just aint right and could cause exhaust fumes to get in the car through your trunk. Ive heard others install these things, and they work great and fit great.
Old 6/9/05, 08:32 PM
Retired Tms Staff

forgot to mention......get the pipes in all the way first. Don't center the exhaust tips first. Once you have the pipes in and mufflers relatively close to being centered tighten the clamps. Then bend the mounting brackets until your mufflers are the way you want them.
Old 6/9/05, 08:32 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Redfire1@June 9, 2005, 8:33 PM
Contact Flowmaster immediately! This just aint right and could cause exhaust fumes to get in the car through your trunk. Ive heard others install these things, and they work great and fit great.
Wow, talk about jumping the gun. I'm willing to bet there is nothing wrong with the mufflers, it is the installation.
Old 6/9/05, 08:41 PM
GT Member

Yeah the notch is all the way in on both sides. How close to the end of the axle-back is the clamp supposed to be? Right now I have the clamp almost right to the end with maybe 1/8" space. I will try messing with it again tomorrow. If I can't get it then I will have them welded. I just love the way these things look and sound though. Good Job Flowmaster.
Old 6/10/05, 07:14 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by blk05stang@June 9, 2005, 8:44 PM
Yeah the notch is all the way in on both sides. How close to the end of the axle-back is the clamp supposed to be? Right now I have the clamp almost right to the end with maybe 1/8" space. I will try messing with it again tomorrow. If I can't get it then I will have them welded. I just love the way these things look and sound though. Good Job Flowmaster.

So how far does the mid pipe go into the inlet pipe of the muffler? Should be at least 1". As for the clamp, you should be able to place it anywhere from 1/8" to 1/2" from the end of the inlet pipe. Did you use an impact gun to tighten it or just by hand? If by hand you might want to either get an impact gun or place a wrench or bar at the end of your socket wrench for more leverage. It just might not be tight enough.
Old 6/10/05, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

i had to use a 1/2 rachet to tourqe my clamps down. after a week i needed to do it again. i have not had to do it since. to adjust the muffler location you may need to bend the hangers on the muffler since the hanger brackets are non adjustable. i had to do this to the driver side.
Old 6/10/05, 11:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

i have one part of the clamp on the muffler pipe and the other on the exhaust pipe and cranked it tight
Old 6/10/05, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

reposition your clamp
Old 6/10/05, 04:02 PM
GT Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went out and tried again but nothing is working. It's in there all the way but still leaks. I got it to leak less but not perfect. I have an impact gun but dont have a 15mm deep socket. Think I'll go pick one up and hit it with that and see what happens. I really dont want to weld it on.

tx2005gt, Did you bend the hanger after the muffler was installed and if so how did you do it? I really dont want to take it off again if I dont have too. Thanks.
Old 6/10/05, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

i used a snap on pry bar that i was able to get it between the muffler & the hanger.
Old 6/10/05, 09:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Redfire1@June 9, 2005, 6:33 PM
Oh please, exhaust fumes are not going to leak into the car. You responded like the undercarriage is like a sponge....

-Dan
Old 6/10/05, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I installed the flowmaster kit today and it fit perfectly. The problem we ran into is that if the pipes are not fully seated they misalign. We made sure the pipes were seated correctly and the tips aligned perfectly when we tightened the bolts. I have to say the Flowmaster kit was engineered perfectly, I was really impressed.

The fact that you have both a leak and the misalignment would suggest that you have to reseat the tubes.

If you have problems go to a muffler shop that can get under the car and really push the pipes together. They should charge you a little but it if there is a problem they have pipe spreaders or they can do some welding.

Good luck.
Old 6/11/05, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by blk05stang@June 9, 2005, 7:09 PM
I installed the flowmaster axle-back this afternoon and I'm really happy with the sound. Has a slight drone under light acceleration but its nothing compared to what my 99 cobra had. The problem is the exhaust is leaking on both sides right where the axle-back meets the mid pipe. I've tried repositioning the clamp and it's as tight as I can get it but there is still a good stream of exhaust leaking out at the connection when the car is running. Am I gonna have to get it welded or am I doing something wrong?

Also I can't get the left tip centered. It says you can adjust its position but it won't move no matter what I try. It's stuck about 1/2" from the right side of the rear bumper with about 1.5" from the left side. The right side is centered perfect.

Any help, tips, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Dave,
OK, I talked to my son who actually put mine on. He's a professional mechanic. He said you have to do it in this order.

Push the muffler all the way onto the existing pipe. Don't tighten the clamps. Tighten all of the hangers, then tighten the clamps. If you do the clamp first you will not have the alighment. (Also check to make sure the hanger pins are straight, they can get bent in shipping, they bend back without too much effort.)

Please let us know if you fixed it. Good luck.

Old 6/11/05, 11:44 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 9, 2005, 7:35 PM
Wow, talk about jumping the gun. I'm willing to bet there is nothing wrong with the mufflers, it is the installation.
The Internet Chicken Little's in action
Old 6/11/05, 01:15 PM

First, to adrenaline. If the guy cant put his mufflers on right, then contacting the manufacturer is a sensible idea. They should be able to tell him how to set it all up. Next to Cleveland, if you have never heard of exhaust fumes leaking into a car and the problems that can cause, then I suggest you research this before opening your mouth. I personally had this happen and it aint no fun! Next, to SixtySix, if by suggesting that exhaust fumes can kill and by advising that the man contact the manufacturer of his mufflers to solve the problem is being a "Chicken Little" then yeah, I'll be yer freakin Chicken Little. Ever wonder why some many people on forums are Lurkers and not Posters? It's probably due in large part to being afraid that their well intentioned posts will be rubbed in their faces like so much dog ****. Im startin to hate forums.
Old 6/11/05, 02:06 PM
GT Member

Well I snapped one of the clamps over tightening it :angry: so I took it in and had them welded so no more leaks

Also installed the K&N CAI today without the HC trap and got a nice power boost
Old 6/11/05, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Redfire1@June 11, 2005, 3:18 PM
First, to adrenaline. If the guy cant put his mufflers on right, then contacting the manufacturer is a sensible idea. They should be able to tell him how to set it all up. Next to Cleveland, if you have never heard of exhaust fumes leaking into a car and the problems that can cause, then I suggest you research this before opening your mouth. I personally had this happen and it aint no fun! Next, to SixtySix, if by suggesting that exhaust fumes can kill and by advising that the man contact the manufacturer of his mufflers to solve the problem is being a "Chicken Little" then yeah, I'll be yer freakin Chicken Little. Ever wonder why some many people on forums are Lurkers and not Posters? It's probably due in large part to being afraid that their well intentioned posts will be rubbed in their faces like so much dog ****. Im startin to hate forums.
Sounds to me you are starting to hate life. I recommend you figure out your personal issues than get all offensive. Either one these guys said anything offensive towards you. Save the drama for your mama. Life is good. Relax.
Old 6/11/05, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by blk05stang@June 11, 2005, 1:09 PM
Well I snapped one of the clamps over tightening it :angry: so I took it in and had them welded so no more leaks

Also installed the K&N CAI today without the HC trap and got a nice power boost
Good job. Are you enjoying it now?

You must be warned you will start looking like Bob the Enzite guy if you don't get that grin off your face. :nono:

Quick Reply: Installed flowmasters but it's leaking