GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

installation of JBA shorty headers

Search this Thread

Old 1/2/11, 03:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installation of JBA shorty headers

I was wondering how hard is it to do this install myself. I was looking through the following thread on a BBK shorty install and it doesnt sound and look too bad:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html

I am have heard that installing headers can be a PITA for DIY's. I am not an expert weekend mechanic by any means.....though I have started to learn to do some work on my own car. From doing some research and looking over the infamous TacoBill's write-ups, I have been able to do the following mods on my car in the last year:

1. Exhaust: Flowmaster axlebacks and Pypes offroad H pipe
2. Hurst Shifter
3. FRPP lowering springs
4. Steeda UDP
5. Stack Racing front grille
6. Spoiler store GT500 rear spoiler
7. Swapped out my valve covers to have them powder coated
8. Rotorpros crossed drilled/slotted rotors

So I am wondering am I in over my head here with the shorty headers?? I would imagine this would be the most challenging job to date for me.

Has anyone else with modest mechanical skills like me done this install on their own? Does anyone know of any good DIY write-ups anywhere?
Old 1/2/11, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the BBK ones one my own and am what you would call an experience weekend mechanic I think. Plan for the weekend and band aids for your knuckles. Also a gear wrench is a must!
Old 1/2/11, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Whosit
I did the BBK ones one my own and am what you would call an experience weekend mechanic I think. Plan for the weekend and band aids for your knuckles. Also a gear wrench is a must!
I will have to do a little more research before deciding whether I will try to tackle this one on my own. Did you have anything to reference or follow from in terms of installation?

Yeah, I definitely would not plan on doing it all in one attempt.....probably spread it over the course of 3 days or so. Also what gear wrench are you referring to?

What did you find the toughest steps to be? How hard is it to lift the motor up a bit? Any words of wisdom from your install?

Hoping I can get started sometime this month
Old 1/2/11, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

These are the wrenches I am talking about. http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr...g/combination/ but you can get mastercraft ones at Canadian Tire.

I can't remember one specific thing being more of a pain than another. If I remember I had to remove the steering linkage, starter, undo the motor mounts and raise the engine. Space is tight which added to the time. I did one side a day. I think I read tacobills info and the BBK info then just went at it.
Old 1/2/11, 07:54 PM
V6 Member

I always ask and wonder people... when doing headers....
why not go ahead and just get the long tubes?

Sound AND performance! Not to mention will compliment other mods down the road.
Old 1/2/11, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

For me there is two reasons why I am not doing the LT's.

1. I really like the sound of the off road H pipe as opposed to the X pipe. Choices are very limited for the off road H pipe when it comes to LT's.

2. To pass aircare (emissions) in BC, you need to have cats. The only company that makes LT's that have an H with cats is JBA. In my case here, I would have to buy not only the LT's and the JBA offroad H.....I would also need to buy the JBA catted H. This would end up costing an extra $900 on top of what I paid for my current exhaust.

If it was not for aircare, I would definitely go with LT's. The general consensus and according to the research I have done is that shorties will more than likely improve the sound of current exhaust which is what I am really after and the flow has to got to improve as well compared to the OEM manifolds. Most people who have installed shorties seem to be pretty happy with them.

A very important note is most of the negative feedback on shorties is coming from people who do not actually have the shorties on their car and have merely repeated what they have heard from someone else. To me the feedback that counts the most is from people who have first hand experience with the mod.

Do you have headers on your car? If so, what kind and how do you find them?
Old 1/2/11, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

These are the wrenches I am talking about. http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr...g/combination/ but you can get mastercraft ones at Canadian Tire.

I can't remember one specific thing being more of a pain than another. If I remember I had to remove the steering linkage, starter, undo the motor mounts and raise the engine. Space is tight which added to the time. I did one side a day. I think I read tacobills info and the BBK info then just went at it.
Hey Tim,

Does TacoBill have a write up on shorties? If so, can you point out where it is. I did not see anything in his HotLinks.

What advantage would I get with those gear wrenches? Do they grip a lot better? If I need them, I will probably just buy them from Crappy Tire. They usually have awesome sales.

Thanks a bunch for your input.....gonna check things out in the next week or so before deciding if I am going to try this install myself.
Old 1/3/11, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

I thought he did but don't see it now. I probably just used this.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...gt-install.pdf

As for the wrenches there was a few header bolts that were to close to other things to allow you to get a ratchet on the back.
Old 1/3/11, 06:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I thought he did but don't see it now. I probably just used this.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/musta...gt-install.pdf

As for the wrenches there was a few header bolts that were to close to other things to allow you to get a ratchet on the back.
The link I posted earlier had some pictures along with a description of each step out of Mustang Monthly. I would not be able to do it alone just from the BBK instructions. Hopefully more guys can chime in here.

How do you find the headers in general for performance and sound? Any noticeable gains in power or improvement in sound?
Old 1/4/11, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I love the sound. As for performance I can't really say as I installed everything over winter so not sure what each individual mod did.
Old 1/4/11, 09:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another happy camper who has gone with the shorties!
Old 1/4/11, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Tim,

How many hours do you think it took altogether to install the shorties?

TacoBill never did it himself on his car. He has got JBA shorties as well, but he did help a friend do his and he said it took about 10 hours.
Old 1/5/11, 06:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah that sounds about right. Took me longer the first day cause I had to run out and buy some tools. I did a side a day over a weekend.
Old 1/6/11, 08:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Depends, I dont see a need for long tubes on my car (since I can get more from a pulley swap and new tune)? The 1-7/8 shorties save about 9 lbs over the stock manifolds so I'd consider shorties worthwhile in that regard to offset the weight gain from a bigger heat exchanger and coolant tank (including the increased volume of coolant those items add).
Old 1/9/11, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have found that the general consensus from guys who have done the shorties is that they are very happy with this mod. I have not heard of too many unhappy campers.
Old 1/10/11, 01:59 AM

count me as happy

It took me three days but I am not that gifted but had a lift, transmission jack to lift the motor up, and lots of tools. I did passenger side and removed the starter and lifted up the motor. The drove it home and back the next day and did it again, and crossed a motor mount bolt so I left it over night and went back again and said screw it and cranked the cross thread in as far as it would go and buttoned back up my steering wheel stuff. The hardest part is getting those bolts on the headers in, especially the back ones. PITA!

That said I do really like the JBA shorties, sound is a little more free reving if that makes sense, but it does radiate more heat. I havent noticed much more power, but I feel like I did gain down low and I am happy with that since I dont drive much at high rpm where you really see the gain on LTs IMHO.

Scott
Old 1/12/11, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Shigetas
It took me three days but I am not that gifted but had a lift, transmission jack to lift the motor up, and lots of tools. I did passenger side and removed the starter and lifted up the motor. The drove it home and back the next day and did it again, and crossed a motor mount bolt so I left it over night and went back again and said screw it and cranked the cross thread in as far as it would go and buttoned back up my steering wheel stuff. The hardest part is getting those bolts on the headers in, especially the back ones. PITA!

That said I do really like the JBA shorties, sound is a little more free reving if that makes sense, but it does radiate more heat. I havent noticed much more power, but I feel like I did gain down low and I am happy with that since I dont drive much at high rpm where you really see the gain on LTs IMHO.

Scott
Scott, that is great that you were able to do the install yourself. I definitely do not have the proper tools to do this and also am not experienced enough to know how to tackle some of those more difficult bolts on these headers due to the tight space. I got quoted $450 from a shop to do the job.

What do you mean by more free revving? Did you notice any increase in the loudness of the exhaust and/or does it sound more aggressive?
Old 1/14/11, 09:06 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Any header should be louder than the factory manifolds since they are steel tubes as opposed to some big thick lumps of cast iron. The headers also seperate the exhaust pulses (for a short time anyway) and anytime you do that it increases noise as well.

The caveat of course being how well the engine compartment is insulated from the passenger area.

Last edited by bob; 1/14/11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 1/14/11, 01:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Any header should be louder than the factory manifolds since they are steel tubes as opposed to some big thick lumps of cast iron. The headers also seperate the exhaust pulses (for a short time anyway) and anytime you do that it increases noise as well.

The caveat of course being how well the engine compartment is insulated from the passenger area.
Thanks Bob for your input. Yeah can hardly get rid of those ugly lumps of iron

I did a little research on the JBA's and found at least on YouTube it produces the sound I am looking for when combined with my off road H and Flowies.

Was just hoping to get some feedback from others on their experiences with the sound.
Old 1/15/11, 01:54 AM

JBAs

Originally Posted by 5pointoh
Scott, that is great that you were able to do the install yourself. I definitely do not have the proper tools to do this and also am not experienced enough to know how to tackle some of those more difficult bolts on these headers due to the tight space. I got quoted $450 from a shop to do the job.

What do you mean by more free revving? Did you notice any increase in the loudness of the exhaust and/or does it sound more aggressive?
Looking back I would definitely be tempted if I had $450 to do it, I got pretty frustrated at times with the back bolts and having it turn it milimeter by milimeter until my hand cramped then took a break and went back to it.

After breaking it in (it kind of smoked and stuff as it burned off grease or whatever) I noticed that it pulled a little harder on the lower end especially second and seemed that it got up in RPMs faster. I have Magnaflows and so it sounded louder which wasnt bad. In fact as silly as it sounds I drove with my windows open a crack and radio off to enjoy the noise for the first week or so. I think sound wise you wont be too disappointed. I got the JBAs in case I have to pass smog as I am in the military and move a lot, and coming from California where they are draconion, I was not going want to take it off and put something else on to pass later.

You can do it, just dont get frustrated and do take off the starter and move over the steering linkage and you'll be fine. I also had to pull off the exhaust to get some play in it. Also if you have a floor jack I pushed up on the oilpan to lift the engine (unbolt it first of course) to get clearance to fit the header in. I reused the gaskets but new ones are probably best. You may have to re-tighten later after a bit. Best advise I can give is when you start getting discouraged and mad, take a break and estimate twice as long as you think. I say go for it and if you get stuck, take it into the shop. Best case you save $450 and learn something about your car. Worse case you pay $450 and maybe a tow if you took things off.

Scott

Quick Reply: installation of JBA shorty headers