GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Independent Rear Suspension Rant

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/05, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member here. Great board.

-- Rant On

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseam, but I just had to rant.

I'm the proud owner of a 2005 Mustang GT. Very happy. Yet, more and more I'm scratching my head over Ford's decision to hobble our beloved car with a prehistoric solid rear axle.

I live in downtown Toronto. A city that gets bitterly cold in the winter and is experiencing some road quality degradation in the past few years which, when driving the GT, reminds you over and over just what a crock of s**t the solid rear axle really is. The car 'hops' around over road imperfections, and is just generally not well composed...making for a prematurely 'tiring' ride.

I refuse to buy into Ford's 'market speak' regarding the rear suspension...and anybody who does is delusional.

In the city, I actually prefer to drive my Focus ZX5...the suspension is just tuned so well I hardly notice road imperfection...yet it's not soft...the Focus takes corners like a champ!

I've read elsewhere on this forum that the 2005 Mustang chief engineer indicated that an IRS would have added about $500 dollars to the sticker price. So, it's particularly painful when considering Ford was so close to producing a WORLD CLASS CAR with the 2005 Mustang GT yet managed to utterly chicken it up with that ridiculous solid rear axle to save a measly $500!!! :angry:

Needless to say, should a Mustang be offered with a REAL suspension in the next few years, I will be first to trade up.

-- Rant off
Old 1/3/05, 03:57 PM
FR500 Member

Or throw in the IRS unit of the forthcoming Cobra
Old 1/3/05, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

I use my Stang for business in the greater NYC tri-state area. I'm sure are roads are just as bad if not worse just because of shear volume. I do not experience any hoping or unsettled condition with my car. I drive it hard & it tells me exactly what it is doing all all times. I have also played with a late model Cobra through the twisties & he was actually holding me up. But that's another story.

Yes, this has been beaten to death.
Old 1/3/05, 04:08 PM
Cobra Member

Ford, or any other manufactuer, will quibble over a nickel part, let along $500. There's plenty of cost-cutting evidence in the 2005 Mustang.
Old 1/3/05, 04:12 PM
GT Member

I find this interesting. I have experienced road hop, very infrequently......even when I expected it to kick in at times. I live in a metropolitan area; but do not have the day to day city driving where potholes are aplenty. My guess is that I would feel differently if I lived in a downtown area.

But driving a mix of roads, I have not been disappointed in the dinosaur.
Old 1/3/05, 04:16 PM
Cam Tease

IRS-less GT = more room for improvement as far as the cobra is concerned

Ford's sticking an IRS in the cobra will make be twice the car of the GT for a mere $500 (of course theyll add bunches of other stuff and of course it will be much more than a $500 price hike all things considered)

sooo.....enjoy your focus?
Old 1/3/05, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@January 3, 2005, 5:04 PM
I use my Stang for business in the greater NYC tri-state area. I'm sure are roads are just as bad if not worse just because of shear volume. I do not experience any hoping or unsettled condition with my car. I drive it hard & it tells me exactly what it is doing all all times. I have also played with a late model Cobra through the twisties & he was actually holding me up. But that's another story.

Yes, this has been beaten to death.
Your episode with a late model cobra provides no insight because him holding you up could have been a function of the abilities of the respective drivers...not the cars.

A more telling, yet impossible, story would be the same driver testing an IRS shod GT and a solid axle GT and comparing impressions.

As I said, my Focus is incredibly well composed around town and makes the GT feel like a box of rocks.

Ford had a real chance with the 2005 edition Mustang. But honestly, I think they blew it. And we all have the accountants to thank.
Old 1/3/05, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@January 3, 2005, 5:19 PM

sooo.....enjoy your focus?
darn straight
Old 1/3/05, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

The one nicity of the live-axle in bad street conditions is that the hop is predictable. That is not the case with an IRS. That being said, see my comments on the 05 and I'll still be waiting for the cobra.
Old 1/3/05, 04:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

I"m quite sure you test drove the car prior to buying it......Just curious why you bought it if you hate the way it drives so much....can't say I would have done the same if I felt the way you do....I don't experience anywhere near that degree of hop or aggravation and I've driven all over Houston in mine...might have to look into some suspension upgrades to make it worth your while....
Old 1/3/05, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Jack Frost@January 3, 2005, 6:48 PM

I refuse to buy into Ford's 'market speak' regarding the rear suspension...and anybody who does is delusional.

Welcome aboard Jack Frost and thank you It always makes a great first impression on me when the first thing a new acquaintance does is call me "delusional".

The Boss Hog
Old 1/3/05, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

You tell em Boss, ehh
Old 1/3/05, 05:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

LOL Tom.....I tried not to go that far but the thought crossed my mind....I think I need you around to be my mouth...
Old 1/3/05, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by swingle007@January 3, 2005, 5:57 PM
I"m quite sure you test drove the car prior to buying it......Just curious why you bought it if you hate the way it drives so much....can't say I would have done the same if I felt the way you do....I don't experience anywhere near that degree of hop or aggravation and I've driven all over Houston in mine...might have to look into some suspension upgrades to make it worth your while....
I bought it cuz, lack of IRS aside, the car is extremely seductive...and does have qualities that make it enjoyable when all factors are summed.

It *is* a great car...my rant really has to do with the fact that it was sooooo close to being a 'perfect' car, and we've been denied by a bean counter.

I did have a '90 GT. Very solid car for all of it's 10 years of ownership. The glaring drawback of it was...the absence of a 'real' suspension. Fast forward 15 years, and that situation hasn't changed in the '05 and I just can't fathom it.

And don't get me wrong...I'm not experiencing very much wheel hop as I may have led all to believe in my initial post. It's the overall composure of the car over less than perfect pavement where the solid rear axle reveals itself.
Old 1/3/05, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by The Boss Hog@January 3, 2005, 6:03 PM
Welcome aboard Jack Frost and thank you It always makes a great first impression on me when the first thing a new acquaintance does is call me "delusional".

The Boss Hog
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Perhaps I should retract the 'delusional' quip.

But c'mon...the broshure sez:

"Mustang proves you don't have to compromise handling or ride to enjoy the muscle-car performance only a solid rear axle can provide"

You guys buy that?
Old 1/3/05, 05:25 PM
Cobra Member

Welcome Jack Frost.

It is very seductive w00t!
Old 1/3/05, 05:37 PM
Bullitt Member

you sound like you should have bought a GTO.Most of us GT owners wanted a solid rear axle.Wait for the cobra or trade to a 2005 GTO.
Old 1/3/05, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ZRX4ME@January 3, 2005, 6:40 PM
you sound like you should have bought a GTO.Most of us GT owners wanted a solid rear axle.Wait for the cobra or trade to a 2005 GTO.
The GTO does nothing for me. On paper it looks great.

But in 4 years it will be a truly forgettable car much like the ricer cars it attempts to emulate.

The Mustang emulates *nobody*, and will look great 40 years from now like it did 40 years ago.

But tell me...why did you want a solid rear axle? Because it's easier to launch?

That argument is on thin ice...particularly when considering the 1/4 mile, 0-60 times being posted by IRS cars these days.
Old 1/3/05, 05:43 PM
Bullitt Member

BTW, thanks for the welcomes!
Old 1/3/05, 05:44 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So why don't you just upgrade your suspension?

Quick Reply: Independent Rear Suspension Rant