9.23%
Saleen Supercharger
86.15%
They are the same
3.08%
Other
1.54%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

If modding a GT, which will you do? Roush or Saleen Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/07, 01:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If modding a GT, which will you do? Roush or Saleen Supercharger?

Well, the title says it all! Let me see your votes, and why

Edit: I see a couple of votes, why Saleen over Roush?
Old 8/1/07, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Based on the number of posts you have I am supprised that you don't already know this information.
The Roush is an OLD technology "roots" blower (like Eaton) with a small displacement of 1.6L (I think?!).
The Saleen is a twin screw (same as KB and Whipple) design with a 2.3L displacement.
This gives the Saleen MUCH greater potential for future upgrading. It also means that the Saleen is not working as hard or heating the air as much as the Roush at the same boost level. This also means that the Saleen will create more power than the Roush at the same boost level.
Old 8/1/07, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I own a Roush and didn't even install the Roush blower, mainly because it is a tiny m90, the same thing we use on the X-charger kits we tune for the -05-07 V6 Mustangs. Get the Saleen or Whipple, you'll do better starting out and have plenty of room to grow.

Later Doug.
Old 8/1/07, 02:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Your Avatar is Ford Racing yet you don't have the Ford Racing/Whipple as a choice. I have the Ford Racing Intercooled version for almost a year and its great. If you want to get the non intercooled 400hp package get it installed by a dealer and it is covered by the warranty, when warranty runs out it is upgradeable to the intercooled version for 500hp.

If you go Saleen you have to go with the JDM setup.
Old 8/1/07, 02:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NDHESQ
Your Avatar is Ford Racing yet you don't have the Ford Racing/Whipple as a choice. I have the Ford Racing Intercooled version for almost a year and its great. If you want to get the non intercooled 400hp package get it installed by a dealer and it is covered by the warranty, when warranty runs out it is upgradeable to the intercooled version for 500hp.

Not trying to hijack, but did you have any hood clearance issues with the whipple.
Old 8/1/07, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

I see, so even though they both operate at around 5psi, Roush is working harder than Saleen because of its size...
Old 8/1/07, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by NDHESQ

It's true, I just used the avatar 'cause I thought it looked cool! what a disgrace to the mustang community...
Anyways, I didn't add the Whipple, because I don't see that many users in this forum that has it, so I figured I should try to appeal to the majority, but thanks for your input, it's good to know about the dealer options.

Reason I was asking is because I just traded in my 05 with 53K miles and picked up an 06 GT Roush Supercharged. I wanted to know if it was the same as saleen's, or not as good. It clearly is not as good, yet they both go for the same price! Roush, what's going on?
Old 8/1/07, 03:00 PM
Bullitt Member

We cut a small square out of the liner right where the pulley rubbed very slightly. No problems after that.
Old 8/1/07, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rony1976
Anyways, I didn't add the Whipple, because I don't see that many users in this forum that has it, so I figured I should try to appeal to the majority, but thanks for your input, it's good to know about the dealer options.
There are probably 10x as many Whipples out there, than Roush right now. And there's probably at least 10x as many KB as Roush, too.

Originally Posted by rony1976
Reason I was asking is because I just traded in my 05 with 53K miles and picked up an 06 GT Roush Supercharged. I wanted to know if it was the same as saleen's, or not as good. It clearly is not as good, yet they both go for the same price! Roush, what's going on?
You're paying for a name, not performance... IMHO.

Maybe you should have posted this thread before you bought the car??????
Old 8/1/07, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by don_w
You're paying for a name, not performance... IMHO.
This is about the most ignorant uninformed remark I have seen on this forum in some time.

If you think Roush is about power and nothing else you need to have your head checked.

I you want to play the "paying for name" route,

you need to look no further than "SHELBY"
Old 8/1/07, 05:34 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 8/1/07, 05:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Uhh...oooh!
Old 8/1/07, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by BULLITT INTERCEPTOR
This is about the most ignorant uninformed remark I have seen on this forum in some time.

If you think Roush is about power and nothing else you need to have your head checked.

I you want to play the "paying for name" route,

you need to look no further than "SHELBY"
Oooo... it's seems I touched a nerve.

I'm not quite sure about this statement though, "If you think Roush is about power and nothing else you need to have your head checked." What I think about the Roush blower is exactly the opposite. When I think about power, I definitely don't think about Roush. (At least not since Jack's Pro Stock days back in the 70's... he was a god then. )

So, maybe you can enlighten me as to why Roush charges the most money for the least efficient and most underwhelming blower on the market? Are you going to tell me some little CYA story about a "warranty"? Pffffttt... come on, get real. Like I said, as far as I'm concerned, it's the name. I said it was my opinion, and I'm entitled to my opinion. You certainly aren't getting any bang for the buck when it comes to "power".

And if you don't buy a supercharger to add power... why would you get one?

And FWIW... I'm not a big fan of the Shelby GT500 either, so there.
Old 8/1/07, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont know, I would love to have a new GT:500. Even at the dealer price of 60k. If I had the money, you can bet your *** Ide have one in my driveway .
Old 8/1/07, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
I dont know, I would love to have a new GT:500. Even at the dealer price of 60k. If I had the money, you can bet your *** Ide have one in my driveway .
Be my guest. Even I got one at sticker, I'd probably have to sink another 10K-15K into it to "fix" it for my needs. And it would still be too heavy for me.
Old 8/1/07, 07:22 PM
Bullitt Member

The fastest daily driver Roush mustang I know of is running a Saleen SC LOL!! 10.99 ET on a mail order tune.
Old 8/1/07, 08:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
<sigh> OK, since My horse has a Roush on it let me give you my point of view.

First question, what are you going to do with the car? quarter mile, road course, everyday car with some extra? Answer that for your long term goal with the car.

Now why would you buy a Roush SC over the others? Well, unless your Stang is brand new and you never plan to seriously race it, it's a great choice. You are paying for the warranty and piece of mind as the SC is supposed to last the life of the engine, meaning it "shouldn't" shorten the life of it butanything is possible. Other then that, look at the others as you would have far more ability to expand on the power via the tune

I didn't seek the Roush either, it was on my car when I bought it new but I am 100% happy with it because I don't "need" anything more for my everyday driver. Even when my warranty is up, if I start racing on a road course or hitting the drag strip, I won't change it right away. I'll learn to drive first then look at other power options such a KB, Whipple, or whatever if I feel I need more.

You have it on your car already, enjoy it unless you "have" to have more power.
Old 8/1/07, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Kenne Bell 2.6 intercooled. Whatever you do make sure you intercool it. You're leaving so much on the table if you don't. Every time you see a used blower for sale it's been replaced with a KB (excluding turbos).
Old 8/1/07, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

My Procharger is being replaced with a Whipple. The Procharger has been great....no problems at all. I'm passing it to my son for his '05 and I'd just rather have my power peak lower in the rpm range.

As for the Roush blower and even the Roush cars. Way over priced for what you get. If I only wanted modest power gains I'd still use the Whipple, KB or Saleen and just tune it with a larger pulley which I won't do anyway. What do they charge for the Roush stage 1 car? And you get what? A rubber coated steering wheel. If they were what they are cracked up to be they would have started out with a premium package Mustang and it wouldn't hurt so bad.
Old 8/1/07, 10:09 PM

Look guys, I wasn't bashing the Roush cars in general. I actually like the looks of the Roush cars quite a bit. Whether or not they are overpriced, is not the topic of the thread. And besides, which "specialty" car isn't "overpriced" to some degree. Some guys don't want to (or have the time to) go through the hassle of taking a base GT and doing a lot of mods to it. That's cool... I can understand that.

My comments were limited solely to choosing to add a Roush blower to a GT... that is, I was responding to the original question:

"If modding a GT, which will you do? Roush or Saleen Supercharger?"

I just don't think the Roushcharger is up to par with all the other blowers out there. So, if you're going to buy a blower to add to a GT, that would be my last choice.

Quick Reply: If modding a GT, which will you do? Roush or Saleen Supercharger?