GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I wanna turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/07, 01:57 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanna turbo!

I have been thinking about how cool it would be to have a turbo. I have not heard too much talk about them on mustangs but would like some feedback. Is the maintence on a turbo the same as a s/c? What are some good turbos out there. I have been looking at the hp performance turbo kit and it looks like it's pretty straight forward . They sell the stage l kit for 4,495. That seems like a fair price. Is the instalation about the same as a s/c. Thank's

Adam
Old 9/22/07, 01:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hellion, I'm becoming obsessed with this setup, just waiting to drive/ride a few in person. More power with less boost as you don't have to waste hp turning the supercharger, little to no lag with the right sized turbo. Check brenspeeds site for details. Totally complete setup. Cocky kid in srt-4 hears turbo spool when you blip the car because hes pestering you in traffic and all he can think is "oh......oh.....no this can't be happening".
Old 9/22/07, 02:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevinb120
Hellion, I'm becoming obsessed with this setup, just waiting to drive/ride a few in person. More power with less boost as you don't have to waste hp turning the supercharger, little to no lag with the right sized turbo. Check brenspeeds site for details. Totally complete setup. Cocky kid in srt-4 hears turbo spool when you blip the car because hes pestering you in traffic and all he can think is "oh......oh.....no this can't be happening".
+1 john Urist know what's good and what's not when it comes to turbos
Old 9/22/07, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbos are great for the track. I dont know how far turbos have come over the years, but when I think of turbos, I think of the dreaded lag that usally comes with them. I like instant boost for the street, but thats just me .
Old 9/22/07, 02:48 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120

That would be soo great. Theres this kid younger kid that lives around the corner from me and he has a red srt-4. He's got to have his car a little beefed up because I took me by about two lenghts on a back street. This was also before my cai/tune and exhaust. I would love to get that turbo and find his little azz
Old 9/22/07, 03:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

www.turbohorsepower.com

I've got their single kit coming next week. Jim has been great to deal with. The cool part about their kit is the ability to customize it however you want, turbo sizing, intercooler, injector sizing, etc. They are also known for their A+ customer service (something most turbo companies don't have).
Old 9/22/07, 03:29 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
www.turbohorsepower.com

I've got their single kit coming next week. Jim has been great to deal with. The cool part about their kit is the ability to customize it however you want, turbo sizing, intercooler, injector sizing, etc. They are also known for their A+ customer service (something most turbo companies don't have).
Wow, 3,495... Is that a complete kit including intercooler?
Old 9/22/07, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow. Thats the chaepest turbo ive ever seen. I may have to look into this a bit more. Ive had my heart set on a twin screw only because every turbo ive seen is so expensive, this is the only exception.
Old 9/22/07, 03:40 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by 69_gt500
Wow. Thats the chaepest turbo ive ever seen. I may have to look into this a bit more. Ive had my heart set on a twin screw only because every turbo ive seen is so expensive, this is the only exception.
exactly, they don't have any info on it though.. or do they
Old 9/22/07, 06:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If I woulda had the additional funds, I probably woulda went with the Hellion kit from Brenspeed. I've seen it in person and the only thing that I don't like about it is the piping hangs pretty low under the car. I would have to be very careful when driving around, etc. and my front is not lowered.

But, I have no regrets with the Vortech system I chose, especially after adding the Paxton intercooler.
Old 9/22/07, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim’s $3495 kit is without the inter cooler but if you only want about 450 HP you can do without it. Jim is good people and will work with you to make the kit fit your needs. I have been very happy with Turbohorespowers service and Jim’s kit will still be cheaper than the other turbo kits.

Earl
Old 9/22/07, 07:16 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Jim’s $3495 kit is without the inter cooler but if you only want about 450 HP you can do without it. Jim is good people and will work with you to make the kit fit your needs. I have been very happy with Turbohorespowers service and Jim’s kit will still be cheaper than the other turbo kits.

Earl
Do you by chance know how much the cooler is for that kit. Thank's

Adam
Old 9/22/07, 07:31 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by tom281
If I woulda had the additional funds, I probably woulda went with the Hellion kit from Brenspeed. I've seen it in person and the only thing that I don't like about it is the piping hangs pretty low under the car. I would have to be very careful when driving around, etc. and my front is not lowered.

But, I have no regrets with the Vortech system I chose, especially after adding the Paxton intercooler.
Hey buddy, got a question for ya. Does the s/c that comes with the vortech non-cooled kit have a smaller s/c than the H.O kit. I remember someone talking about something like that. Or is that paxton? Yeah man I just sold my dirtbike and got some extra cash and came to the conclusion that I NEED a turbo or s/c . I think having a turbo'd stang would be awesome, you kinda get the best of both wordls in one package. I still don't know yet because I am not too familiar with a turbo. All I really know is they sound sick and make power...
Old 9/22/07, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
According to Vortech and Brenspeed, the Vortech blower is the same between either the base or the HO kit. It is the Paxton that is different.
Old 9/23/07, 12:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

My order from turbohorsepower:

upgraded to 76mm turbo
upgraded to 44mm wastegate
upgraded to 60# injectors
upgraded to the intercooler
deleted the tuner

total: $4595 + 100 for shipping
Old 9/23/07, 08:22 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
My order from turbohorsepower:

upgraded to 76mm turbo
upgraded to 44mm wastegate
upgraded to 60# injectors
upgraded to the intercooler
deleted the tuner

total: $4595 + 100 for shipping
What is a wastegate
Old 9/23/07, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 2005sonicBOOST
What is a wastegate
Oh come on. Waste Gate.
Old 9/23/07, 12:11 PM
FR500 Member

IIRC, the wastegate helps regulate exhaust flow going through the (hot side) turbo. the blow-off valve is for the compressor (inlet side) to prevent excess pressure from damaging the unit like when the throttle closes suddenly while under boost.
Old 9/23/07, 12:46 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
IIRC, the wastegate helps regulate exhaust flow going through the (hot side) turbo. the blow-off valve is for the compressor (inlet side) to prevent excess pressure from damaging the unit like when the throttle closes suddenly while under boost.
Thank's, so it's probably a good idea to have a wastegate and a blowoff valve with a turbo...right
Old 9/23/07, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bullitt995 that's going to be a great system. Looking forward to seeing your setup when you get it finished.

Earl

Quick Reply: I wanna turbo!