GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I think it's time for a Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/05, 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I got smoked by a Mitsu EVO VIII this weekend. The car had some work done to it but the driver wouldn't tell me what he had. Needless to say I'm not happy about this and looking for big power gains. I will say that I realize there will always be something faster then me. I just want to make the number of things faster smaller.

Reading different posts from around the board it isn't very clear to me which supercharger is putting out the best numbers. I was originally going to just do bolt ons only but it looks like I probably wouldn't get much more the 310RWHP. I'd like to get my car somewhere into the 400's. The car is also a daily driver and I'd like to keep it that way.

Here are my questions to you all.

1) What is the best Supercharger company out there? I realize everyone has personal favorites. When answering this question I'm looking for more quality of the part and track record of previous products.

2) What type of gains should I expect keeping the rest of the engine stock?

3) Are there any recommendations as to who in the MD/DC/(southern)PA/DE area that should do the work?

Thanks in advance to all those who answer!
Old 7/25/05, 10:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I would look into the Saleen SC. For anywhere from $4200 to $5000 they are seeing over 400 to the wheels. At very modest boost (4 to 6 psi) this is a significant gain.

This SC is warrantied by Ford and they will and can install it for you as well. It is actually a very straight forward bolt on and can be done in a weekend if you have the proper tools and prep. With some minor adds and a good tune, you can be knocking on the limits of the motor, at around 450rwhp.
Old 7/25/05, 10:53 AM
GT Member

Hehe those Evos can be mean. Turbo upgrades on them can push RWHP that would require replacing the bottom end on the Mustang.

Honestly if I were you I'd consider waiting to see how the turbo and supercharger situation works out on the Mustang in the coming months... MM&FF has an article this month about a twin turbo that's in development that's hitting 450RWHP with 6lbs of boost... and it's looking like it'll be priced around what the base Saleen kit costs (the 430RWHP I've seen written up from the Saleen required upgraded fuel injectors and MAF sensor and CAI on top of the $5k supercharger).

On the flip side if you want a nice pickup and want to keep your warranty having a base Saleen SC installed by a dealership should jump you up to around 375RWHP (give or take, they advertise 400HP at the crank) without voiding your warranty (though I would check with the dealer to verify this). Then after warranty expires you can upgrade injectors, MAF etc. etc. for more HP, probably up to the max the engine will safely handle (47xRWHP according to Kenne Bell).
Old 7/25/05, 11:01 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always heard good things about Vortech but the more I read about the Saleen setup (as I learn about SCs myself), the more I like it - especially how clean it looks and the LOW boost settings where you can get great performance gains.
Old 7/25/05, 11:12 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
If you are set on wasting money then Kenne Bell would be an excellent candidate. I would also look into if your tranny and clutch will last with the additional power, as well as the drive shaft.
Old 7/25/05, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@July 25, 2005, 12:15 PM
If you are set on wasting money then Kenne Bell would be an excellent candidate. I would also look into if your tranny and clutch will last with the additional power, as well as the drive shaft.
From the reading I've been doing it looks like the stock 5 speed with upgraded clutch should be fine at 450RWHP.

The auto tranny is another story entirely... though the Saleens are pushing 400HP at the crank and still have factory warranty, so I would say you're safe in that ballpark on a stock car with either transmission.
Old 7/25/05, 12:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 1 BULLITT@July 25, 2005, 11:15 AM
How is buying a Supercharger waisting money?
Old 7/25/05, 12:26 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by grendel@July 25, 2005, 11:00 AM
From the reading I've been doing it looks like the stock 5 speed with upgraded clutch should be fine at 450RWHP.

The auto tranny is another story entirely... though the Saleens are pushing 400HP at the crank and still have factory warranty, so I would say you're safe in that ballpark on a stock car with either transmission.
One thing to consider is where the supercharer makes power. Initially it sounds like a great idea to have a bunch of low end torque. I built my Z06 to have this kind of power and it was worthless with 18x12's. Too much low end power to use the power. I had to baby the throttle at any low rpm #. On the other hand, my buddy had the same exact car, but with a Vortech. It made huge hi rpm #'s but not the low rpm #'s mine made. Long story short, he could hammer the throttle with no worries of wasting the tires as the power built slowly as rpms rose.

Needless to say, I've changed my mind on what type of supercharger is "best"...
Old 7/25/05, 12:42 PM

I'm also in the Saleen Series IV camp. Results like this reinforce it for me:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthr...34&page=1&pp=30
Old 7/25/05, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by don_w@July 25, 2005, 12:45 PM
I'm also in the Saleen Series IV camp. Results like this reinforce it for me:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthr...34&page=1&pp=30
I'm another believer. JDM has been getting impressive results.

But as it has been stated, there are advantages to either type (centrifugal or twinscrew). It depends on where you want the power.
Old 7/25/05, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by GM Refugee@July 25, 2005, 11:56 AM
It depends on where you want the power.
I want mine at the track!

Seriously, my car is a daily driver, but I save the hardcore WOT passes for the strip on the weekend. I want the low-end torque, because I'm not worried about hooking up. I'll be running drag tires/wheels when it really matters. I'm not surprised that 18x12s wouldn't work. More than likely, those were low profile tires, which aren't great for "go straight" traction... especially at launch. You really need tall sidewalls, with some flex, for good traction.
Old 7/25/05, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes Evos can be fast. You can bet he did a lot to it though to beat you. In the long run though his Evo will be recycled into pop cans long before your Stang is worn out.
Bottom line is though you've got a larger motor with greater potential. A super charger will do the trick however you may wanto look at a stronger clutch and maybe transmission.
Old 7/25/05, 02:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Since I won't be running slicks very often (if at all) and most of my racing is done on the street (I don't need any lectures about this) have more power at higher RPMs looks to be better. I don't want to blow through street tires like water.
Old 7/25/05, 03:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by bpmurr@July 25, 2005, 1:51 PM
Since I won't be running slicks very often (if at all) and most of my racing is done on the street (I don't need any lectures about this) have more power at higher RPMs looks to be better. I don't want to blow through street tires like water.
Yep, and until you experience both types of power or both "problems" (depending on how you see it) it's tough to say. Torque is great, when you can hook up. When you cant, you'll get beat time and time again by less powerful cars. I hit the track maybe once every few months. I want my car to be fast on the street, with street tires. Not that high 11's won't be the norm with the Vortech/Paxton... :worship:
Old 7/25/05, 03:21 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally posted by bpmurr@July 25, 2005, 2:24 PM
How is buying a Supercharger waisting money?
It is not just slapping on a s/c and you're done but everything that tacks on. Most likely you will also need injectors with more volume, a bigger mass meter, a professional tune, and a voided warranty on the house. Add a few bucks for a tighter suspension, bigger brakes, wheels , and tires if you are seriously considering unleashing that much power on future challanges. All that for a daily driver which does not merit that much of an investment because you got canned by an Evo. Big deal. Add the costs and you practically build a GT500.
Old 7/25/05, 03:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been wanting the Saleen SC ever since I saw it. I love how clean it looks under the hood and am very impressed with the #s they're getting from 4-6psi... You can bet the Saleen will be my next performance mod.
Old 7/25/05, 05:54 PM

Weedo and bpmurr...

Both the twin screw and the centrifigals will be fast on the street, with street tires. But, if you put low profile 18's on with either of them, you are probably going to have problems.

And I'll take low to mid-range torque, over peak HP any time. You don't win races on a dyno.

One other thing to think about... you'll need to run higher boost on a centrifigal than you will on a twin screw to make the same power. It's cheaper to replace tires, than short blocks.

That is what sold me on the Saleen (2 months ago, I was planning on getting the Vortech). I can get my daily driver into the high 11's, without having ridiculous (and dangerous) boost.

But, to each his own... going fast is a good thing!!! No matter how we get there!
Old 7/25/05, 06:53 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by don_w@July 25, 2005, 4:57 PM
Weedo and bpmurr...

Both the twin screw and the centrifigals will be fast on the street, with street tires. But, if you put low profile 18's on with either of them, you are probably going to have problems.

And I'll take low to mid-range torque, over peak HP any time. You don't win races on a dyno.

One other thing to think about... you'll need to run higher boost on a centrifigal than you will on a twin screw to make the same power. It's cheaper to replace tires, than short blocks.

That is what sold me on the Saleen (2 months ago, I was planning on getting the Vortech). I can get my daily driver into the high 11's, without having ridiculous (and dangerous) boost.

But, to each his own... going fast is a good thing!!! No matter how we get there!
I agree and disagree. I owned 2 Lightnings so I'm very familiar with the high torque at low rpms. But it does come at a cost. I put down ~380hp/500tq with my last Lightning, at 13psi. I also had a turbo denali ( www.turbodenali.com ) with ~470hp/525tq. This setup is more like a certrifigal. It allowed me to run tons of boost (9psi with Methanol) and get out of the hole without wasting my tires. The Lightning on the other hand, really required drag radials or a soft launch, thus not utilizing the torque. Then when you hit the upper rpms, you don't have the high horse power.

The centrifigal will build boost with rpm. Lets say 2psi at 2,000rpm, 3psi at 3,000rpm, and so on. Your "9 psi of boost" or so is not staying at 9psi through the entire rpm band. For a street car, this is ideal in my opinion. For a track car on street tires, it's also ideal. For a track car with a stall converter, still ideal.

I'm not the kind of guy that puts on drag radials or slicks when I go to the track, then have to take them back off. I like to know how fast my car is 'on the street' based on the numbers at the track. Just a preference. I'm sure a centrifigal GT compared to a twin screw GT would be much easier to launch whether it's on 17" or 20" rims. It has enough power to go quickly but not enough where you have to really stay off the throttle at a launch.

I'm not knocking the twin screw, I'd be happy with either one, for sure. I just think for most, the centrifigal is the best way to go in these cars. I'm also not an expert, just an avid "toy junkie". I'd love to see a heads-up comparison of the two types!! Dyno, drag race, and seat-of-the-pants feel of the two cars.

I will agree 100% that going fast with these cars, whether it's NOS, blower, turbo, etc is about as fun as it gets! It'll be fun when more people have more setups to see how they all perform!
Old 7/25/05, 07:33 PM
GT Member

JDM is putting a Saleen blower on me in 3 weeks. I can't wait!
Old 7/25/05, 10:12 PM

PROCHARGER

Request info from their website, they will send you a large packet full of info on comparisons with their competitors. Air to Air is better for the street as far as intercooled goes, price is better with a centrifugal vs. a twin screw. Either way you will be into some serious money and relying on support staff when you have problems if you have someone else install/tune for you.

Quick Reply: I think it's time for a Supercharger