GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I said I wouldn't waste $300 for 5hp (at best)

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/06, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok. I earn my money as a process engineer. I TRY to base all my decisions on data. When I spend my money, I am looking for bang for buck! I just KNEW I would never "waste" $300+ bucks for a set of mufflers that MIGHT be good for 5hp (on a good day!). No. I wasn't going to waste my money...

And then I followed another 05 GT for about 5 miles last week. I had seen the car before (the owner also works at Intel) and checked out several of his other mods (some good, some not so much). Listening to that car for 10 minutes was definitely enough to end my fascination with bang for buck!

It just sounded GOOD. Not a total change from stock (which I already love), just deeper and throatier. Just what these cars need! I actually spent a week trying to corner the guy to see if he thought there was any negatives with the Flowmasters, but I was never able to catch him.

So yesterday I went ahead and placed an order to Summit Racing. And picked up a set of camber adjuster bolts while I was at it...

And now I have joined the large crowd that "wasted" money with no real gain in power. I should probably go to concelling or something... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/15/06, 10:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just becuase there is minimal power gain, doesnt mean its a waste..... In my opinion, it is worth every penny and then some. But I am talking about SLPs.... hehe, each to his own.
Old 2/15/06, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

Changing out our mufflers is almost a cosmetic mod, it doesnt make you any faster but it sure makes your car sound different or bad hiney.

I see you have lowering springs, just put your mufflers in the same category.

-Dan
Old 2/15/06, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but dude lowering your car gives you like 80hp!!!111!!!!! el oh el oh el

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]

Nice call on the Flows. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img] I have no regrets with mine. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 2/15/06, 10:32 PM
GT Member

Red face

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRRoamer @ February 16, 2006, 12:03 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'> ....And picked up a set of camber adjuster bolts while I was at it...

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Overall, your topic is about wasting money on Mods that have no real benefit. Potential among worthless mods is Camber Adjuster plates. Unless you are going for extreme lowering, you won't need them. If you are going for mild lowering (no more than 1") you won't need 'em. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/16/06, 07:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Well I am glad you like the flowmasters for the sound, because thats what your getting for the 300 bucks. I bought my ford racing/borla axle backs for the sound and nothing else, because there dont seem to be much gains from these aftermarket axlebacks. I believe in testing shown in mm&ff the only axle backs exhaust that even showed minimal gains of like 3 hp were bassani and borla for like 1 or 2 hp. I dont believe any of the others tested even showed gains. If I remember correctly some even lost hp. So buy what sounds good to you for sure. Good luck
Old 2/16/06, 10:07 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esorense @ February 15, 2006, 11:35 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Overall, your topic is about wasting money on Mods that have no real benefit. Potential among worthless mods is Camber Adjuster plates. Unless you are going for extreme lowering, you won't need them. If you are going for mild lowering (no more than 1") you won't need 'em. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I have the Eibach Pro springs installed. I definitely have too much negative camber right now. Not enough to impact tire wear (that i can see at this point), but definitely enough to be visibly noticable if you are looking for it. I'm coming up on 14k miles, so I figure it is about time to get an alignment done anyway, so might as well have the needed hardware on hand when the time comes.
Old 2/16/06, 10:11 AM
Cobra Member

great choice for the flows and definetely not a waste on those. Did you have your car re-aligned after installing the eibachs? i didn't need a camber kit after i did mine, just a realignment.
Old 2/16/06, 01:51 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ February 15, 2006, 9:29 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Changing out our mufflers is almost a cosmetic mod, it doesnt make you any faster but it sure makes your car sound different or bad hiney.

I see you have lowering springs, just put your mufflers in the same category.

-Dan
[/b][/quote]
Don't stiffer springs improve cornering performance?
Old 2/16/06, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

the 300 is worth it every time you start your car and even more when you step on it.
Old 2/16/06, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rebel73 @ February 16, 2006, 2:54 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Don't stiffer springs improve cornering performance?
[/b][/quote]

Robert,

I'm very happy with the handling of my car after lowering it. I DO Know that it would be better once I go the rest of the way (struts, shocks, bump stear eliminators, lower control arms, lower control arm relocation brackets, etc.), but that can wait. The extra negative camber actually helps with agressive cornering, but it is not so great for normal driving and will lead to higher wear on the tires. Plus, I can SEE it, so it is definitely too much! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Old 2/18/06, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sun finally came out today and I drove around with both windows down so I could hear my flows. Much different with the windows down...granted, it was like 35 degrees...but what the heck, love that sound.
Old 2/18/06, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

As long as it is something you like, it isn't a waste of money. (I try telling myself, every time I buy a new part and hide it from my wife) But the fact is, that you could look at needing the GT, over the V6 is a waste of money, but that did not stop us from buying it. 300 hp is way more than enough power to most, but not nearly enough for those of us on this site. I had my flowmasters at my door, before the car even got to the dealership. Then spent more money on a CAI and tuner, and swapped perfectly good wheels and tires with only 7000 miles on them for new shoes, just because they looked better. Enjoy your new Flowmasters, they will save you some money on not having to buy a overpriced sound system, because you'll be too busy listening to the exhaust..
Old 2/18/06, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jvm051 @ February 18, 2006, 7:26 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>swapped perfectly good wheels and tires with only 7000 miles on them for new shoes, just because they looked better. [/b][/quote]

What the he11 were you thinking?!?!?! I can't believe you waited 7,000 miles. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/19/06, 01:55 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Blazing Saddles @ February 18, 2006, 4:04 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
You may only gain about 5 HP, but you gain 20 FT LBS of torque from 2200-4000 RPM's. So they will improve the drivability.
[/b][/quote]
Since when does a muffler pair add that much torque?

Im honestly curious, please dont take this as one of my many smart hiney remarks. There are quite a few on here I do not wish to press the buttons of.

By the way, I found a cool new smilie...

-Dan
Old 2/19/06, 07:36 AM
Cobra R Member

yah I would like to know where you heard of that much hp and torque. As I stated testing by mmff didnt show more than like 3 hp on any of the aftermarket systems. And I dont believe the flows were on the list that had any gains. Not that it really matters, if it sounds good it was worth it.
Old 2/19/06, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cleveland @ February 19, 2006, 4:58 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
By the way, I found a cool new smilie...

-Dan
[/b][/quote]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/welcome2.gif[/img]

I've got some better ones that I made. Same general idea though. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/21/06, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

The flows made some gains. I have that issue. I just don't know were it is right now, but I was considering the flows when it came out, so I gave the data tables a pretty good look.

And just because I am replying, I might as well add my take on the "only 5hp, but 20lb from 2200 rpm to 4000rpm" statement:

hp = torque * rpm / 5252. So,
20 lb-ft * 2200 rpm / 5252 = 8.3 hp and
20 lb-ft * 4000 rpm / 5252 = 15.3 hp.

Guys, this is simple math. Any time anyone gives you numbers like that, it is trivial to double check them and either verify them or flash the light of BS on them. In this case, there is no way in HADES that you can get 20 lb-ft of torque between 2200 and 4000 rpm and ONLY get 5hp max gain. NO way. No how.
Old 2/21/06, 09:31 PM
Cobra Member

Sorry, but your smiley looks like something from Brokeback Mountain. Please, give the bottum one some hair. (or a black stripe around the top smiley).

Quick Reply: I said I wouldn't waste $300 for 5hp (at best)