Old 6/8/05, 04:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PM's have been sent.
Old 6/8/05, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cdemot02@June 7, 2005, 6:25 PM
Bottom line is the JLT is a cheap product with defects. Any other company that has defects to this nature would recall the product, and fix it under warranty. Instead JLT wants us to go purchase parts and fix the product ourselves. The JLT design flaw puts the engine at risk, and this could very easily lead to a lawsuit.

You really seem to have a problem with JLT. All you do is bash the product. I have had no problems whatsoever, and if I did, some minor tweaking would not be a problem.
Old 6/8/05, 06:27 AM
Team Mustang Source

hey mike, thanks for the phone call yesterday, I feel your pain and sorry u had the mishappening with the JLT. I dunno what to tell you, switch to another CAI. Call up John, he still has another C&L intake available and he might be bale to give u a good deal on it. I'm installing my K&N today, when i have it on today I'll swing it by ur house so u can check it out.......
Old 6/8/05, 06:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by elvism@June 7, 2005, 6:22 PM
I CALLED MY TUNER AND TOLD HIM MY PROBLEM AND HE TOLD ME TO PLUG IN THE SCT BUT I COULDNT BECAUSE OF THE TRAFFIC ON THE ROAD
Why would the traffic on the road prevent you from plugging in you SCT? You can plug it in sitting in the driver's seat, the OBDII connection is right above the left knee. Sure, you can't see it, but you can feel where it is.
Old 6/8/05, 06:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by LordBritish@June 7, 2005, 6:49 PM
Dude, here's what you need to do.

Get a screwdriver and pop your CAPS key
Old 6/8/05, 07:46 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
I'll start this off by saying I have no direct experience with JLT....I own a shop and a customer brought me a Demolet Cold air kit for an '04 GT. This was made of what I consider to be plumbing parts from Lowe's...in fact at least one hose WAS from the isle at Lowes. I understand the JLT kit is made from similar PVC materials as well.....but regardless of where the parts come from it is an end product and the manufacturer must answer to the customers. I had a big problem with the Demolet kit.....installed per instructions and 2 days later the customer had a problem with the car sticking at WOT...turns out that the screws Demolet sends with their kits are not long enough to hold the tube with the filter on it and it fell off into the fenderwell....consequently, the rubber ring he supplies with kit to hold that tube so one person can install got sucked into the intake and hung the throttle plate open....which is the cause for the WOT condition...which could have caused a MAJOR accident and injury. I noticed the end tube had fallen off and located longer screws and fixed it....this was 5 months ago and not a problem since. But I am very disappointed in the fact that this was not caught and probably still has not been fixed by Demolet(you guys with those kits might want to double check yours).
I think the guys should get credit for offering a product but I have been building cars for years and I also manufacture products myself and I find a lot of over-exaggerated hype with some of these plastic cold air kits saying the metal kits make hot air....which is not true...airflow stays in the tube for suck a brief amount of time that it is negligable with heat...and I have never had a metal produced cold air kit fall apart. I will not recommend any of the PVC produced kits to my customers after my experience with Demolet(Densecharger) because I find it unacceptable to get a phone call from a customer with a product related problem and potentially serious accident as a result. Granted the customer supplied the parts and all we did was install it for them but my customers mean more to me than for me to let them install parts that I have seen are problematic or potentially dangerous if they fail.

Tucker....you make the kits....unfortunately regardless of whether you are right or wrong, you are going to hear about it.....welcome to the aftermarket. I built a custom exhaust for a Mark VII and had a lot of guys ask me to make a kit....I refused simply for the reason that despite it being made correctly I know that some people who know nothing about exhaust would install it wrong, it would rattle and they would blame me and I wasn't going to deal with the aggravation. You can expect some of that but at the same time it seems here you have a legitimate problem that is not the consumers fault and now you have to answer to them. You are taking a beating here unfortunately.....so the ball is in your court as to how your customers are going to view you and how you handle it....you may not like what you have to do but that's part of being in business.
Old 6/8/05, 08:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand that this is a serious problem on a few customers cars. I felt I tried to address it ASAP with a very simple and easy fix, but I see I didn't get to everyone in time. For that I'm sorry.

I have PM'd the 3 involved here and offered to fix or accept the product for return.
Old 6/8/05, 09:53 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
holy cow. I must say a lot of you guys are getting bent out of shape over such a small thing. Wanting full refunds, calling the product defective, etc etc. It is such an easy fix and Jay is willing to do it. I don't even own any of his products and think a lot of the complaining in this thread is just over the top. Come on guys, it is an easy fix.
Old 6/8/05, 10:07 AM
V6 Member

i agree that jay is being more than helpful and that it is indeed an easy fix, but with the market as competetive is, its an easy fix that shouldnt have to be done. I understand jay owns a smaller company but hes competing in a market full of huge companies and needs to produce just like they do. none of them would ask you to use hairspray etc...
Old 6/8/05, 10:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I haven't had a problem with my C&L.
Old 6/8/05, 10:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

You guys are really giving Jay a hard time about a decent product, that by the way is very reasonably priced, all of you who ordered the JLT setup had nothing but great things to say about it until now, Jay seems like a good guy and offers support at every turn..For the not so mechanically inclined I would suggest having someone who can turn a wrench do the install/fix for you..Give the guy a break, He marketed a cool CAI, and stands behind it, and the price lets not forget that, is very reasonable..Bunch of Whiners..LOL..
Old 6/8/05, 10:35 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by mmoonshot@June 8, 2005, 11:21 AM
You guys are really giving Jay a hard time about a decent product, that by the way is very reasonably priced, all of you who ordered the JLT setup had nothing but great things to say about it until now, Jay seems like a good guy and offers support at every turn..For the not so mechanically inclined I would suggest having someone who can turn a wrench do the install/fix for you..Give the guy a break, He marketed a cool CAI, and stands behind it, and the price lets not forget that, is very reasonable..Bunch of Whiners..LOL..
I think that people are concerned because this is a SAFETY issue. First, it was a CEL, which was a minor inconvience. Hypothetically say you are quickly merging into traffic and the filter pops off, sending the car into safe mode. Potentially you could cause an accident and/or get rear ended. Installing a clamp doesn't require a college degree. In fact, I bet a monkey could be trained to tighten one. The problem IMO seems to be a lack of engineering/product development. This is why I went with the C&L. Hopefully this will get resolved in a timely manner.
Old 6/8/05, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

This is why I got out of owning my own small business. The general ignorance of the public and mud raking ruined it for me since I couldnt throw money at the problem.

Jay, keep up the great customer service and a good product, Im very happy with my JLT. I did send you a short PM that you should check out.

-Dan
Old 6/8/05, 11:05 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Burke0011@June 7, 2005, 10:35 PM
Hey Ian - got any pics handy?.....

(and actually havn't seen the MMR up close anyways...)
I don't have one with me. If I get a chance, I'll take a pic. It looks like Bryan's though... the pic recently posted. It's just a small metal "L" bracket. Works great.
Old 6/8/05, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

I have to agree with most of what is being said in this thread - this is blown way out of proportion. The product does have some R&D issues that have been and are being resolved - but it is a good product. There are many other others JLT kit owners with little or no problems.

Jay offered a prompt solution and now seems to have offered a refund. Sound like the right thing to me. Now, I am sure Jay will continue to evolve his product to better eliminate these issues for future sales. These issues, while annoying, do better the product by forcing small flaws to be exposed and fixed.

-Bryan
Old 6/8/05, 11:24 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 8, 2005, 10:10 AM
i agree that jay is being more than helpful and that it is indeed an easy fix, but with the market as competetive is, its an easy fix that shouldnt have to be done. I understand jay owns a smaller company but hes competing in a market full of huge companies and needs to produce just like they do. none of them would ask you to use hairspray etc...

Oh really. So is magnaflow a small company? I don't think so. When I received my magnaflow mufflers they didn't fit because the notch was not in the correct location. Magnaflow asked me to get out a jigsaw and cut new notches where I would need them. After I sent pictures they realized that FORD changed the exhaust system and because of that I was able to get my mufflers replaced. A lot of people, even on this forum, notched the mufflers themselves so they would work. Simply put, the vendor is going to ask you to do something if it seems very simple to do. It is not like they are telling you to do something that is next to impossible or that will cost you any money.
Old 6/8/05, 11:27 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Also wanted to comment on the name of this topic. To say you "almost got killed"because of it, I think, that is way out of line. Sure, it caused the issue of the car going into "safe mode", however to say you almost got killed? You didn't even get in an accident. Heck, I can't count how many people I see daily stuck at an intersection (or in one) because they are nervous and can't get a manual transmission out of first without stalling the car. I am sure they are not saying "I almost got killed". Yes that would have been scary seeing that transport and anything could have happened. When you hit that bump, as hard as you say you did, what would have happened if you broke something, like a tie-rod? That would have been a lot worst.
Old 6/8/05, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

I agree. Kinda reminds me of my daughter, always over the top explanations

-Bryan
Old 6/8/05, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 8, 2005, 11:30 AM
Also wanted to comment on the name of this topic. To say you "almost got killed"because of it, I think, that is way out of line. Sure, it caused the issue of the car going into "safe mode", however to say you almost got killed? You didn't even get in an accident. Heck, I can't count how many people I see daily stuck at an intersection (or in one) because they are nervous and can't get a manual transmission out of first without stalling the car. I am sure they are not saying "I almost got killed". Yes that would have been scary seeing that transport and anything could have happened. When you hit that bump, as hard as you say you did, what would have happened if you broke something, like a tie-rod? That would have been a lot worst.
Exactly, I think the bump is the culprit here, and possibly poor driving habits, we all make mistakes, but some of us own up to the mistake, some blame others, the bottom line, you hit the bump dude.... :bang: I think that Jay is being very gracious here, and you are flaming him and his Co, because you rammed youre car over a pothole or whatever, I ultimately feel sorry for the car here ! LOL.

Quick Reply: I BEG U ALL TO FIX UR JLT! I ALMOST GOT KILLED