GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

I BEG U ALL TO FIX UR JLT! I ALMOST GOT KILLED

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/05, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by elvism@June 7, 2005, 6:35 PM
the loud bang was the bump on the road when i went over it just like any other car would make.the throttle problem was a off and on thing. it was when i pushed on the gas it wont "go" like it would as much. i just figured it as the air pressure or some minor fault. if i felt that it was of great concern i would have pulled over long before my problem. the reason for my post is just to make sure this doesnt happen to anyone!!
I know. I think the caps and single paragraph was too much for me

You were right to post, since this appears to be a genuine design issue. I was just concerned that you'd not use more caution, sooner, in a situation like this. It's the father in me (as in, "I'm a dad", not as in "I'm visiting Jacko").
Old 6/7/05, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by cdemot02@June 7, 2005, 7:25 PM
Bottom line is the JLT is a cheap product with defects. Any other company that has defects to this nature would recall the product, and fix it under warranty. Instead JLT wants us to go purchase parts and fix the product ourselves. The JLT design flaw puts the engine at risk, and this could very easily lead to a lawsuit.
I am not asking anyone to buy anything. I have posted on this and other sites what the fix is and offered to do it my self for you.

Send me your filters and I will take care of it.
Old 6/7/05, 06:42 PM
V6 Member

jay is there no chance that you might fabricate a supporting brace? or offer a full refund to those unsatisfied with the product? you need to do more in terms of customer service than offer your sincerest apologies and a "cutting the filter fix"
Old 6/7/05, 07:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by celticstanger@June 7, 2005, 8:00 PM
If you re-read, you'll see he had problems before hitting 80. The incident with the truck was the last thing before the fail-safe mode kicked in and he could barely move the car.

Not flaming him, but when the thing made a loud bang and acted weird at 55mph, that's when I'd have pulled over and checked it out...
Point taken. And I did miss read his post.
Old 6/7/05, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Mrericpm@June 7, 2005, 6:45 PM
jay is there no chance that you might fabricate a supporting brace? or offer a full refund to those unsatisfied with the product? you need to do more in terms of customer service than offer your sincerest apologies and a "cutting the filter fix"

Man I'd be all for a supporting brace. Let's put our heads together and come up with one.

I know Blazing Saddle came up with one. Bring on the ideas!!!!
Old 6/7/05, 07:27 PM
GT Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/DSC02796.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...y/DSC02793.jpg

Here is my solution the the filter problem. I live in south Texas and it is very hot here. The problem I have is from the heat. The housing gets soft then collapses and the filter falls off and my inlet the the CAI is deformed. What I did was make a ring out of titanium to go inside of the housing with a lip for a stop.

Due to the material I used this isn't for everyone but you could substitute it for what ever you want as long as it is strong enough to with stand the forces from the clamp and thin enough to go inside the housing with out deforming the area around the sensor causing a leak.
Old 6/7/05, 07:38 PM
GT Member

I feel this is a good product and just like all new products it might require a few tweaks. I am very happy with what I have and it is the best bang for the buck I have purchased for my car so far. These issues seem to be regional, if you live in a HOT area of the country during summer there might be issues.

Jay,
I work in an engineering lab and have access to many different types of materials. If you want I can see if there might be a better material with reguards to the heat and mechanical strength than PVC. Let me know if I can help.
Old 6/7/05, 08:14 PM

This is amazing. I don't understand how Jay can get an attitude what so ever. "But if blaming me is the answer then so be it." It is your fault. It's your product. You should stand behind your product and fix it. Recall or correct the issue and exhange for DEFECTIVE. That would be the standup thing to do and would recover from this potential reputation crusher. It would make your service impecable. Quick fixes will hurt in the long haul. I recall some time ago when George (Blazing Saddles) was making his own CAI and one of your comments was, "hey that looks familiar...
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...2&hl=cai."
You sort of picked apart his development. You might want to contact him and see if you can buy his idea/design for his bracket.
I'm not trying to hurt Jay in anyway. I don't know him and don't have anything personal against him. I just expect more from a "manufacturer." I work for one. I know what will hurt you and what will save face. I just feel bad for those that are in this situation. I do expect a defensive response to this, that's been the norm. The biggest service you can do to a customer is listen. Then again, I'm not a customer, but there are plenty on this and other forums that are talking.
Old 6/7/05, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm willing to do what ever it takes.

I'm not getting on the defence, but find it odd that after our conversation today things got miss construded.

169stang: as allways your turning my words around. I was complimenting Blassing about his design, not picking at it.

I will look into a support for the filter, but in the mean time I would like to have customers having this issue trim there filter or send it to me to do. Again, this is a simple and easy fix.
Old 6/7/05, 08:37 PM
V6 Member

would you be willing to send me a full refund in exchange for your product back?
Old 6/7/05, 08:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Personally, I would not want to cut a $40+ filter, I would demand a working product or my money back.

Jay, if you do fabricate a support for the filter, are you going to offer a replacement filter to those who cut theirs?

Like 169stang said, quick fixes will only hurt you in the long run. I'm no business owner, but it might be in your best interest to offer a full refund to customers having this problem or if/when a filter support is fabricated offer it to existing customers for free. Either way, there needs to be 100% customer support, not just spray some hairspray here and cut there. Customers are dic*s, I know, I'm one when I don't get what I should be getting.
Old 6/7/05, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Quote Jay- "I'm willing to do what ever it takes."

Then start by refunding peoples money who don't want to drive thier new car in fear of thier dang filter fallin off...

Quote Jay- "169stang: as allways your turning my words around. I was complimenting Blassing about his design, not picking at it."

You dare type on here about people turning word's around...You must be joking right! Jay you have tried to turn every word on this forum around at some point. From your outlandish power claim's to poor quality and engineering...You have tried to turn all those word's around haven't you...

Quote Jay- "I will look into a support for the filter, but in the mean time I would like to have customers having this issue trim there filter or send it to me to do. Again, this is a simple and easy fix."

Quit trying to downplay the problem. Unbelivable.......
Old 6/7/05, 08:59 PM

I've never twisted any words around Jay. Just read the thread and each can make their own interpretation. Your comments in that thread just seemed like they were in the tone of feeling threatened.
Aside...to my knowledge, George isn't or wasn't looking to sell his design. I believe he has a great setup with his bracket. It looks very simple to make and I'm pretty sure, based on his helpful attitude in the past, George would explain how he made it and with what kind of material. It looks like maybe an increase in $3 in material and your time. Once you have a jig, it'll take less time to make it.
You could possibly send these out to current customers and increase the selling price to compensate for the increase in your cost to retain your margin. Just my 2 cents. Again, I'm not twisting your words and am not trying to personally attack you in any way. I just feel that this solution or something similiar should have been attended to sooner. No harm intended.

[attachmentid=23606]
Old 6/7/05, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't think Jay should offer a refund, unless he can't repair the product. Now cutting the filter is a not a repair. I like the bracket idea, and if that would work for everyone this could be the solution. Now, I'm not an engineer, but couldn't the Maf sensor be moved farther up on the pipe so the filter could slide on farther?
Old 6/7/05, 09:13 PM
FR500 Member

Man, that stinks. And how would you really know to look under the hood after hitting a bump. Still, I might have checked everything before I took it on the interstate with the car acting funny. Glad nothing serious happened though.
Old 6/7/05, 09:15 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by cdemot02@June 7, 2005, 10:07 PM
I don't think Jay should offer a refund, unless he can't repair the product. Now cutting the filter is a not a repair. I like the bracket idea, and if that would work for everyone this could be the solution. Now, I'm not an engineer, but couldn't the Maf sensor be moved farther up on the pipe so the filter could slide on farther?
My MMR intake kit has a angle bracket that is welded to the metal ring around the end of the filter that screws down right where the existing air box connected to the car. That filter would never fall off. I think it definitely needs a bracket, and should have had one from the start.
Old 6/7/05, 09:32 PM
Big Falken Tires

Originally posted by acadian@June 7, 2005, 9:18 PM
My MMR intake kit has a angle bracket that is welded to the metal ring around the end of the filter that screws down right where the existing air box connected to the car. That filter would never fall off. I think it definitely needs a bracket, and should have had one from the start.

Hey Ian - got any pics handy?.....

(and actually havn't seen the MMR up close anyways...)
Old 6/7/05, 10:16 PM

If someone modifies a product they usually void the warranty or at least it may add contributory negligence on their part if it fails. Even though a "fix" is suggested/described by the manufacturer...I wonder what his insurance carrier would think about this. The insurance company would likely deny a claim if you modify it yourself...they would say you didn't do it correctly.
Old 6/7/05, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I'm trying not to add any fuel to the fire but this did happen to me and my wife in the past. My wife was trying to merge on the freeway when it went into "safe" mode. Consequently, I had to go out there because she had no idea what was going on nor was I comfortable her driving it anymore (before I really new what "safe" mode was). To sum it all up yes it was the JLT filter. It happened twice before I finally found a cure. Here was my fix...

1. sanded and grooved pipe on end where filter attaches
2. used rubbing alcohol and hairspray when applying filter
3. DID NOT overtighten the clamp

In short my fix has worked ok - only time will tell. I love the JLT because of the price (at least half price compared to some) and the power (proven more hp gain than any other CAI). Let's not get discouraged over some minor glitches.

I must say - I think Jay has done a great job trying to remedy the problems.
As stated, a lot of companies have experienced some problems as well. Steeda sport springs, MMR (CEL problems), Magnaflow pipe problems (passenger side too short), Bassini x-pipe ( O2 senor mount too far), RK Sport hoods (not fitting correctly), C&L predator tunes (poor throttle response), Predator 93 octane tunes (poor throttle response)...I sure everyone has a list of products that have had there troubles.

Let's stick together and use each other as good resources. I really like the bracket idea. Blazing Saddles bracket was innovative but I also like 2005RedGT's (Bryan) fix. Only I would like to figure out a small bracket to use while still being able to utilize the heat shield. Check out Bryan's...
[attachmentid=23608]

Cheers_Jay
Old 6/8/05, 12:18 AM
Cobra R Member

I was at a dyno shop today. Was there just getting o2 sensor extenders put on, and my new exhaust lined up a little better so the tips would be even. guy starts talking to me about tuning my car etc. One of the first things he said was dont buy that jlt intake kit online. He had one in there shop and tried tuning it, and he said that it was a nightmare. He said they had to richen it up so much just to look halfway decent a/f ratio. Then guy was still having problems with it. He said the tube is made out of plumbing equipt. or something, and that the tube is way to big for the mass air flow sensor location etc. Said that he thought that the mass air flow sensor is getting some kind of backwash reading and screwing up since the tube is so big. I dont claim to no much about the jlt. But when a tuners first things out of his mouth was dont get a jlt without even talking about cold air kits, well I think I will stay away.

Quick Reply: I BEG U ALL TO FIX UR JLT! I ALMOST GOT KILLED