GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hydraulic Throwout Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/17, 05:16 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydraulic Throwout Bearing?

Hey guys, my question is if I need to change it during this clutch change.

I bought the car at 46k miles and it now has 50k on it. The person I bought it from only put 1.5k miles on the car in the time he had it (found the receipt from the dealer he bought it from with the mileage) and in that time he replaced the throwout bearing.

I now need a new clutch (between me learning on it in the city, it being the stock clutch, and it seeing 250hp more than it was designed to, I'm not surprised). I decided to go with the Exedy Stage 3. I was going to go the cheaper route and get the SPEC but I heard far too many negative reviews to justify the price difference. I read that the tob can go bad while changing the clutch. Is that because they typically fail at the same-ish mileage as a clutch would? Or does something happen in the process that actually messes up the tob? As of now the tob has ~5k miles at the most on it.

Money is definitely a factor, hence why I'm even asking. I understand the meaning of "doing it right" but I only have about 800 to work with and between the clutch and flywheel, I'm right about there. I'll be getting the pilot bearing too as I hear it's important to do. Maybe someone has an AM discount code?

Is there anything else that I should be changing out while in the process? It hurts the hell out of my bank account but it needs to be done. Good thing is I may get a raise soon lol. I read somewhere that I would need a braided clutch cable to keep up with a higher rated clutch? Doesn't make much sense to me but y'all know more than I do. I'm not going to be doing many mid to high rpm dumps, if any at all. Maybe 2k once every few months. I mainly do roll racing so if that information amounts to anything for you guys then cool. Would it be possible to swap in a braided cable later, after the tranny is back in? I haven't looked into it yet. Been doing a lot of reading about the clutches themselves.

Thanks guys
Old 3/30/17, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
That's a tough call. Can't say I'm an expert on throwout bearings, but in general I always lean toward the side of do it right, even if it costs a little more upfront. If it fails later, you're just going to have to pull the transmission again to change it.

Wonder why would the throwout bearing go bad during the install? (Never changed my own, so admit I don't know)

As far as the braided cable goes, no clue if you need it but in the same vein as doing it once and doing it right -- bleeding the clutch once is easier than twice. Plus I've read that it can be a real PITA with the transmission in place since you don't have a lot of room.
Old 3/30/17, 11:10 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
American Muscle does offer a 6% off discount code. You need to contact them to get it.