GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Shifter Users!

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/06, 07:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As many of you read, my B&M failed on me again, this shifter is being thrown in the garbage 2nite! I have put in an order for the Hurst Shifter. The problem is, I've read the installation instructions and I'm not sure base upon reading the instructions if I need to RE-USE any of the stock pieces from the shifter. I think when I first installed my B&M I think I threw out most of the old bolts and washers that came apart from the stock shifter because they were replaced with parts from B&M. The only parts I seem to have is the stock shifter itself and the rubber bushings.

Can anyone with a hurst shift tell me if there are any parts from the stock shifter that I need, and if I need some old washers and bolts??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
Old 4/28/06, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MaverickMLFD371 @ April 28, 2006, 9:15 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
As many of you read, my B&M failed on me again, this shifter is being thrown in the garbage 2nite! I have put in an order for the Hurst Shifter. The problem is, I've read the installation instructions and I'm not sure base upon reading the instructions if I need to RE-USE any of the stock pieces from the shifter. I think when I first installed my B&M I think I threw out most of the old bolts and washers that came apart from the stock shifter because they were replaced with parts from B&M. The only parts I seem to have is the stock shifter itself and the rubber bushings.

Can anyone with a hurst shift tell me if there are any parts from the stock shifter that I need, and if I need some old washers and bolts??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Hey Mav, long time no see...

When I installed mine you pulled the old bushings out of the stock unit and pressed them into the new one. Other than that, the bolts were the stock ones as well. If you lost the stock busnings then those can be replaced with stiffer ones from several sources on the net.
Old 4/28/06, 08:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Hurst comes with new urethane front and rear bushings. From the stock shifter you'll need the bolt at the front mount, the metal sleeves that go into the front bushings, and the plastic inserts at the very bottom of the unit where it attaches to the shift arm.
Old 4/28/06, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTAS @ April 28, 2006, 10:24 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
The Hurst comes with new urethane front and rear bushings. From the stock shifter you'll need the bolt at the front mount, the metal sleeves that go into the front bushings, and the plastic inserts at the very bottom of the unit where it attaches to the shift arm.
[/b][/quote]

What about the nut that attaches the Hurst to the shift linkage? The B&M supplies a differnt nut that connects these two.
Old 4/28/06, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tech @ April 28, 2006, 12:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What about the nut that attaches the Hurst to the shift linkage? The B&M supplies a differnt nut that connects these two.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, B&M gives you a bolt that looks like this:

And on the stock shifter assembly, it came with a Hex Nut.
Old 4/28/06, 11:22 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a suggestion, (keep in mind I haven't yet worked on the shifter linkage)

If the old bolts and washers are standard, you can pick up the proper ones at the dealer or at a fastener supplier. Keep in mind you can get some high-grade stuff at those industrial supply places.

you have access to the full service manual, they should have part numbers for all the bolts.
Old 4/28/06, 12:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tech @ April 28, 2006, 12:50 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

The stock nut is used
Old 4/30/06, 06:28 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galaxie @ April 28, 2006, 1:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Just a suggestion, (keep in mind I haven't yet worked on the shifter linkage)

If the old bolts and washers are standard, you can pick up the proper ones at the dealer or at a fastener supplier. Keep in mind you can get some high-grade stuff at those industrial supply places.

you have access to the full service manual, they should have part numbers for all the bolts.
[/b][/quote]

That's what I'm saying. If he threw that one away he'll have to track one down.