GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Hurst Billet Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/05, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://go.mrgasket.com/newproducts/flyers/74230g.pdf

The "classic" short throw shifter that many folks in this forum are already enjoying is part number 391 0201.

But I searched, and no one has mentioned the new aluminum billet shifter, part number 391 5201. Looking at the picture, this one looks quite a bit beefier.

Has anyone seen one, or are there any reviews posted of the billet shifters? And what is the price?
Old 11/30/05, 09:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

That does look quite a bit beefier. I'd be interested in seeing a price and how people like it.
Old 11/30/05, 11:05 PM
V6 Member

Basically looks like the Steeda/Pro 5.0 shifters. The main advantage over the previous Hurst would seem to be the stop bolts. I have the Steeda Tri-Ax and I like it quite a bit. My guess would be you would not be able to tell much difference between the Steeda, the old Hurst, or the new billet Hurst, but I liked the adjustability of the Steeda, and the cool factor of the billet aluminum even though you can only see it if you are under the car.
Old 12/1/05, 03:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Best price I have found it at Nino Sport for 199.00 plus S/H

Other hurst can be gotten around 180.00 or so
Old 12/2/05, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by wjones14@November 30, 2005, 9:34 PM

The "classic" short throw shifter that many folks in this forum are already enjoying is part number 391 0201.

But I searched, and no one has mentioned the new aluminum billet shifter, part number 391 5201. Looking at the picture, this one looks quite a bit beefier.

Has anyone seen one, or are there any reviews posted of the billet shifters? And what is the price?
Talked to a Hurst technician about this and he claims it should be released early next year.

This is what he said about pricing: "I would expect to pay between $200-$250 when first coming out. I'm sure the price will drop once the demand drops a little. I have driven the 05 with our proto type and it is amazing between stock and our new shifter. Thank you, Tim"
Old 2/28/06, 10:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I checked around and it looks like Hurst's Billet/Plus shifter is for sale now. $300 is pretty steep, but it looks like a nice piece.

Anyone try this out? I want to eliminate the binding that occurs with the Hurst Competition/Plus shifter.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductMo...ctModelId=13300
Old 2/28/06, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tech @ February 28, 2006, 12:33 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
.. I want to eliminate the binding that occurs with the Hurst Competition/Plus shifter.
...[/b][/quote]

I'll bet the shifter mechanism is the same between the two. It is very disappointing to hear of "binding" in a shifter designed and built by Hurst [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsdown.gif[/img] I have had very good luck with them in the past. Maybe things have changed.

The Boss Hog
Old 2/28/06, 11:07 AM

I just helped install the Hurst shifter (non-billet) and I can say this thing really made a difference. Throw is reduced from 4" to 2", and it is very stiff. I am not sure the billet body will be that neccesary unless you are really slamming the gears at the track - in which case no body mount shifter is going to be truely stationary.
here is the install write up and video on FM:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02...ifter/index.php
Old 2/28/06, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Explain this "binding." I have the Hurst and have no complaints.
Old 2/28/06, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rex05 @ February 28, 2006, 1:10 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I just helped install the Hurst shifter (non-billet) and I can say this thing really made a difference. Throw is reduced from 4" to 2", and it is very stiff. I am not sure the billet body will be that neccesary unless you are really slamming the gears at the track - in which case no body mount shifter is going to be truely stationary.
here is the install write up and video on FM:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/02...ifter/index.php
[/b][/quote]

Rex05,
Thanks for posting the link. I really like the looks of the Hurst but I'm still concerned about the "binding" reported above. Take a close look at the video of the guy shifting in the link you gave us. During the 2nd to 3rd shift, you can definately see the stick stopping in neutral and then proceding to 3rd. It looks like two sepparate movements. I don't know if that is just the guy granny shifting or if it really does "bind" in that shift [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pittperson @ February 28, 2006, 2:40 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Explain this "binding." I have the Hurst and have no complaints.
[/b][/quote]

Chris,
Please take a look at the video. I would be interested in your comments. Thanks,

The Boss Hog
Old 2/28/06, 01:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've been posting request for info on the billett shifter for months. I'm glad to see that Hurst is finally putting it into production. I would like to compare it to the MGW shifter that is due out this Spring.

I'm interested in the "binding" too. My understanding is that all the '05 aftermarket shifters use a two-step motion that doesn't allow for power shifting, but i could be wrong. I'm waiting on a Whipple S/C so I don't think powershifting is a necessity in my future. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 2/28/06, 01:49 PM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Boss Hog @ February 28, 2006, 3:30 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Chris,
Please take a look at the video. I would be interested in your comments. Thanks,

The Boss Hog
[/b][/quote]

Are you just refering to the "click once (out of gear), click twice (in gear)," that split second hesitation. If you are (just reread your post, that is what you are talking about), I think that happens with the stock shifter, it's just not a pronounced. As far as powershifting (clutching without letting off the gas), the hurst will not stop you from being able to do so.
Old 2/28/06, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a stock shifter and I notice the pause in neutral between gears. I do not think it is just a Hurst thing, I think it's the transmission. It may feel more pronouced in the Hurst because shift effort is a little greater than stock - the tradeoff for a shorter throw. This is just my guess though, as I don't have an aftermarket shifter yet.
Old 2/28/06, 10:03 PM
Cobra Member

Well no matter what shifter you use, it still has to go thru a gate between 2nd and 3rd. I think this external shifter design still sucks and the intermittent notchyness is a characteristic of the shifter design interface that will not go away. Combine that with the wide gear spacing, characteristic throttle hang and you will still always have that driveline slap between shifts.

The Corvette guys are complaining similarly to TREMEC
Old 3/1/06, 08:46 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bryman @ February 28, 2006, 10:16 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I have a stock shifter and I notice the pause in neutral between gears. I do not think it is just a Hurst thing, I think it's the transmission. It may feel more pronouced in the Hurst because shift effort is a little greater than stock - the tradeoff for a shorter throw. This is just my guess though, as I don't have an aftermarket shifter yet.
[/b][/quote]

I think you're right on the money with that statement. I remember it when I installed the B&M, but it is more pronounced with the Hurst. I don't remember what it was like with the stock setup. The Hurst is virtually the same as stock but they just raised the pivot point to reduce throw, hence the increased effort.

I'm satisfied with the hurst, so I'll probably just leave it alone.
Old 3/11/06, 10:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think ther whole problem is the fact that the back of the shifter is mounted to the cars body, and the front is mounted to the tranny. The whole shifter should be mounted to the tranny and NOT to the body at all JMO!!!
Old 3/23/07, 05:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wjones14

This post is over a year old. Just wondering if anyone has tried this shifter yet?
Old 3/23/07, 11:46 AM
Cobra Member

You will not find this shifter. It has never been released to the public and there are non even built yet. When and if I know more I will let everyone know
Old 3/23/07, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

In the mean time I just bought an MGW.
Old 3/23/07, 03:39 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by subzero05
You will not find this shifter. It has never been released to the public and there are non even built yet. When and if I know more I will let everyone know
^ The final word on anything B&M/Hurst. The guy is good!

Quick Reply: Hurst Billet Shifter