GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

High-Temp Paint

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/07, 10:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High-Temp Paint

I'm in need of high-temp black paint as I've gotta paint my Flowmaster A/T's. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jon
Old 4/5/07, 04:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Any high temp paint from any auto parts store should work. The mufflers don't get very hot anyway, not like headers or an exhaust pipe closer to the engine. Different brands may vary as far as gloss. If you want them glossy, use engine enamel. It should withstand the heat of the mufflers.

I have the Flowmaster A/Ts and they came painted black. Why do you need to paint yours? Just curious.
Old 4/5/07, 07:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto what Phil said. I used a hi-temp flat black to paint my Hooker AeroChambers. They're polished stainless steel from the factory, a little too much for me, at least for the mufflers. I used a hi-temp primer first, then several thin coats of the hi-temp black and it's held up very well. You will smell the paint curing for a few days though.
Old 4/5/07, 12:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I've used aerosol and brush-on Rustoleum High-Temp Paint in the past with negative results. After a few years the paint tends to peel off or flake off.

The brush-on Rustoleum Stops Rust! paint does seem to adhere to stainless steel very well.
Old 4/5/07, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by LimeGT
Any high temp paint from any auto parts store should work. The mufflers don't get very hot anyway, not like headers or an exhaust pipe closer to the engine. Different brands may vary as far as gloss. If you want them glossy, use engine enamel. It should withstand the heat of the mufflers.

I have the Flowmaster A/Ts and they came painted black. Why do you need to paint yours? Just curious.
The black has started to fade a bit. Driving the car throughout the winter might have something to do with that.
Old 4/6/07, 04:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jon_Purdy
The black has started to fade a bit. Driving the car throughout the winter might have something to do with that.
Mine look pretty faded too, now that you mention it. Very dull, grey looking almost. Guess I have something else to add to the list of 'things to do'.
Old 4/6/07, 09:13 PM
V6 Member

I just painted my mufflers with black barbecue paint... I hated seeing the mufflers hanging from the rear of the car. Now my chrome tips really stand out.
Old 4/7/07, 06:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just used regular flat back paint to touch-up some scratched and it worked fine. If you're painting a larger area, any high-temp paint will work. As mentioned earier, the mufflers don't get that hot...