GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Help - I can't find where to drain the oil

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/05, 12:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have my 'Stang out in the driveway on Rhino Ramps ready for its 1,000 mile oil change. Now, with previous cars, I've always just bought the car to a shop to get the oil changed - have never done it myself. Thought it would be easy, but I got stuck on step one - finding the drain. I found the filter (I think), but just not sure which is the drain. I see a black circular "cap" with 4 indents (the type of thing that would take a specialized pronged tool to open) - is this the drain?

If not, can someone please help me? What am I looking for? A picture would be wonderful, if that's possible.

Thanks so much! Sorry for being an idiot.
Old 6/5/05, 12:52 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@June 5, 2005, 12:15 PM
Have my 'Stang out in the driveway on Rhino Ramps ready for its 1,000 mile oil change. Now, with previous cars, I've always just bought the car to a shop to get the oil changed - have never done it myself. Thought it would be easy, but I got stuck on step one - finding the drain. I found the filter (I think), but just not sure which is the drain. I see a black circular "cap" with 4 indents (the type of thing that would take a specialized pronged tool to open) - is this the drain?

If not, can someone please help me? What am I looking for? A picture would be wonderful, if that's possible.

Thanks so much! Sorry for being an idiot.
back bottom of oil pan.
Old 6/5/05, 12:53 PM
GT Member

No offense, but if you have to ask where to drain the oil from then you probably shouldn't be changing the oil yourself. You could cause more harm than good to your car.
Old 6/5/05, 01:29 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Snikt@June 5, 2005, 10:56 AM
No offense, but if you have to ask where to drain the oil from then you probably shouldn't be changing the oil yourself. You could cause more harm than good to your car.
how do you expect people to learn!

he/she did the correct thing and asked for advise, there are no stupid questions.

hey snikt, do you remember when you started out with car care? did you know everything?
Old 6/5/05, 01:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

The oil filter is white, front of motor, drivers side, sticking down at around a 45 degree angle. Very easy to get to from underneath on ramps, just watch out for the power steering hoses running around it. Drain plug is in the very back of the black oil pan, I think it was a 5/8's bolt. You can't see it from the front, or directly below, it's on the very back side, up at an angle, feel back there, and you'll find it, right in front of the transmission. It' a lot farther back than any car I've had before, but makes sense, back of the oil pan, perfect for when the car is up on ramps since the oil will run back there.

There are no dumb questions...
Old 6/5/05, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Jack, after you take the plug out and drain the oil, remove your old filter. You'll notice a rubber ring on the new filter, at the top opening. Put a little oil on your finger, and run it around the rubber of the new one.

Install the new one butDon't over-tighten your filter!
Old 6/5/05, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks everyone. While I was waiting on this, I just installed SLPs.

I printed out the thread - now off to change the oil. I am a total car noob, but I'm learning and loving it. Boards like this one make the experience that much better. I appreciate it.

Old 6/5/05, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by ILikeBond@June 5, 2005, 3:13 PM

I printed out the thread - now off to change the oil. I am a total car noob, but I'm learning and loving it. Boards like this one make the experience that much better. I appreciate it.

as simplistic as changing the oil maybe, you should still have a buddy there to guide ya. theres a ton of simplistic oh well duh moves you can make
Old 6/5/05, 04:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

When you remove the oil filter, you'll probable find that it is on there super tight. I don't think they oil the gasket when they assemble the engine. My 2004 5.4L F150 was the same way, and I needed two different tools (a strap wrench and one of those 3/8" drive attachments that slip right over the end of the oil filter) to get it off.

Also, be totally sure that the rubber gasket is still attached to the old oil filter. I missed that one time, and it was still stuck to the engine when I put the new oil filter on. When I started my Ranger, all 5 quarts of brand new Mobil 1 shot all over the place before I knew what was happening. What a mess!

Just hoping you learn from my mistake...

Originally posted by ILikeBond@June 5, 2005, 4:13 PM

Old 6/5/05, 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Also, the oil doesn't just drain out, there is some pressure to it so its not just going to drain straight down to start with....be careful or you'll end up with a mess. (At least that how my 2000 was, I havent changed the oil in my 05 yet)
Old 6/5/05, 05:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just changed my oil at 1000 as well. Glad I did, it was fairly black and burnt smelling for only 1000 miles. If anything else, I got piece of mind.
Old 6/5/05, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

always have a blanket under your car too. found that out the hard way
Old 6/5/05, 05:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by forddude1416@June 5, 2005, 7:25 PM
always have a blanket under your car too. found that out the hard way
yeah so did I. my garage floor was a mess.
Old 6/5/05, 10:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the tips and help. I changed the oil without incident. When I took off the nut, it spilled on my hands a little (big deal), but I had an oil pan underneath. Same thing with the filter - when I took it off (it was on very tight - used a big wrench to take it off) oil spilled, but I had the pan. The oil was pretty black.

On a louder note - the SLPs sound niiiiiiiiice...

Having never really worked on a car before except for very basic stuff, switching out the stock mufflers for the SLPs and changing the oil definitely gives me a sense of accomplishment. I'll be installing a Bassani X-pipe and the JLT next weekend, probably. Gonna let the pros install my 4.10 gears though. Part of the fun of this car, IMHO, is the getting to know it, figuring out how to mod it, really embracing it and making it your own. I'm still new to this, but I know more about engines and other mechanical parts now than I ever did before just from reading these boards obsessively and tinkering. I love having a new hobby.
Old 6/5/05, 11:02 PM
FR500 Member

Good for you! When you go to install the X pipe, it will be helpful to have another person to help a little. There are two bolts that are hard to get nutted without someone topside to keep them from turning. One person can do it, it's just easier with a second.
Old 6/6/05, 02:34 AM
Team Mustang Source

Glad your oil change went smoothly and that you avoided a common rookie mistake of not replacing the oil plug before adding fresh oil. Don't ask me how I know...
Old 6/6/05, 03:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by IWantMyNewGT@June 6, 2005, 2:37 AM
Glad your oil change went smoothly and that you avoided a common rookie mistake of not replacing the oil plug before adding fresh oil. Don't ask me how I know...

Glad to see it went well. The old oil *should* be black, btw, it shows it's doing its job.
Old 6/6/05, 03:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by JustAnotherDude@June 6, 2005, 4:31 AM

Glad to see it went well. The old oil *should* be black, btw, it shows it's doing its job.
Agreed.
I changed mine at 1154 miles.
It was clear. I was a bit shocked to say the least.

Bond,
If you only got a little oil on your hand you did extremely well.
Try getting it to roll down arm all the way to your arm pit. Now that's fun.
Or if you chang your oil outside and it's a windy day, well that can be challenging as well.
Old 6/6/05, 08:19 AM
GT Member

For those that have already changed your oil in your 05 GT:
Do you know what the recommended torque specification is for the oil pan drain plug?
Old 6/6/05, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by jdanza@June 6, 2005, 9:22 AM
For those that have already changed your oil in your 05 GT:
Do you know what the recommended torque specification is for the oil pan drain plug?
Same torque I've used for 30 years.
Hand snug then a 1/4 turn.

Quick Reply: Help - I can't find where to drain the oil