GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

help, I CANNOT get my mufflers lined up.

Search this Thread

Old 10/29/07, 05:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help, I CANNOT get my mufflers lined up.

Its been a few months since I installed my Mac mufflers, and after I put them in, one of the tips hung lower than the other. I let it go cuz there really wasnt anything to do about it. But now its starting to **** me off. That muffler is also loose and rattles around, now its higher than the other one and hits the frame. I tried tightening the clamp, but it wont go any tighter and it still slides around on the over axle pipe. WHAT CAN I DO???????
Old 10/29/07, 05:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have a local muffler shop that does good work? I took mine over when I couldn't get my driver side to seat properly and they zipped it up tight for nothing. Only took about 10 mins.
Old 10/29/07, 05:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, for starters, lining them up is a PITA and takes time. Having a friend help you makes it a lot easier. Main thing to do is loosen the clamps between the over axle pipes and your H/X pipe. With those lose you will have some room to move your mufflers around. If you have them loose where they connect to the over axles, you will have even more room to adjust them. have a friend help you so he or you can tighen the mid clamps while you hold the muffers in place. Be carefull though, the more you move the over axle pipes to adjust, you increase the possibilty that under load one of them may rub up against something like a support bar or the rear end and cause an annoying vibration/rattle noise. Also check the muffler hangers as sometimes through adjusting they can be really close to the rear bumber causing that same rattle noise.

Hope this helps.
Old 10/29/07, 06:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
+1, Gary is exactly right. I've had many different exhaust combos (as documented here on the forum LOL) and each one required not only playing with the muffler connection itself, but also the relation of the over-axle pipes to the H pipe. Do as Gary suggested, you'll see what we mean.
Old 10/29/07, 07:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The driver's side muffler seems to always be the hardest to line up properly.
Old 10/29/07, 07:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GPStang06
Well, for starters, lining them up is a PITA and takes time. Having a friend help you makes it a lot easier. Main thing to do is loosen the clamps between the over axle pipes and your H/X pipe. With those lose you will have some room to move your mufflers around. If you have them loose where they connect to the over axles, you will have even more room to adjust them. have a friend help you so he or you can tighen the mid clamps while you hold the muffers in place. Be carefull though, the more you move the over axle pipes to adjust, you increase the possibilty that under load one of them may rub up against something like a support bar or the rear end and cause an annoying vibration/rattle noise. Also check the muffler hangers as sometimes through adjusting they can be really close to the rear bumber causing that same rattle noise.

Hope this helps.
what can I accomplish by loosening anything, it just has to be tightened later, not like you can move it around?
Old 10/29/07, 07:52 PM
Ric
V6 Member

...LOL....
Old 10/29/07, 08:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ric
...LOL....
Hey, this is the first car I have so much as taken a wheel off let alone change mufflers.
Old 10/29/07, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jmanpatsfan
what can I accomplish by loosening anything, it just has to be tightened later, not like you can move it around?
By loosening the clamps it allows you to move the over axle pipes around a bit. Since the mufflers are attached to them you can essentially move the muffers via the loosened over axle pipes. Now if you have a muffler that won't tighten that's a different story. I had that issue with one of my Stingers but what I noticed is at the end of the over axle is a little nub that the muffler has an section cut out to go around it. Make sure your cut out is around that and make sure your clap goes over the nub, then tighten the clap. The Nub gives the clap more pulling power to tighten.
Old 10/29/07, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

By loosening the clamps it allows you to move the over axle pipes around a bit. Since the mufflers are attached to them you can essentially move the muffers via the loosened over axle pipes. Now if you have a muffler that won't tighten that's a different story. I had that issue with one of my Stingers but what I noticed is at the end of the over axle is a little nub that the muffler has an section cut out to go around it. Make sure your cut out is around that and make sure your clap goes over the nub, then tighten the clap. The Nub gives the clap more pulling power to tighten.
the mac mufflers dont reach the nub at all.
Old 10/30/07, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hmm, that's odd. Do you happen to have any pics of how they are mounted?
Old 10/30/07, 07:36 AM
GT Member

We need to have an exhaust aligning party....

I'm up in South Boston and haven't been able to get the pass tip on my Corsas perfect. Tough to do with a scissor jack and parking space-- one man jobs are tricky because I can't see what I'm tightening!!!
Old 10/30/07, 07:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmm, that's odd. Do you happen to have any pics of how they are mounted?
I just left my house and will be away from the car for two weeks , but when I get back I will post some pics. I am thinking about just getting a new muffler clamp.
Old 10/30/07, 08:25 AM

I had problems with aligning both of my MACs...the driver side was worse than the other like someone said. Mine were both spread out too far towards the outside of the car,one was too low and one stuck out more than the other. MAC doesn't seem to weld the hanger bars on there perfectly straight.
Loosening the clamps and repositioning the mufflers is only a minor adjustment. If you need to make larger adjustments (like I did), remove the muff(s) entirely and bend the hanger bar(s). I had to keep doing this and restalling the muffs loosely until I got the tips centered in the rear facia. I used both a breaker bar over the hanger bars and a rubber mallet to bend the hanger bars until they were where I needed them. Good luck!
Old 10/30/07, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm telling you guys, you're missing the whole point of having adjustment available on the over-axle pipes. You can bend the muffler mounts all different directions, or you can do it with the combination of muffler/axle pipe connection and axle pipe/H pipe connection.

Loosening the clamp at the axle pipe/H pipe joint allows you to rotate the axle pipe, which in turn raises/lowers AND centers the mufflers in the rear facia cutouts.
Old 10/30/07, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Tom , don't confuse them with facts
Old 10/30/07, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here guys, check out TacoBill's thread when he did his Stingers.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showpo...15&postcount=1
Old 10/30/07, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by tom281
I'm telling you guys, you're missing the whole point of having adjustment available on the over-axle pipes. You can bend the muffler mounts all different directions, or you can do it with the combination of muffler/axle pipe connection and axle pipe/H pipe connection.

Loosening the clamp at the axle pipe/H pipe joint allows you to rotate the axle pipe, which in turn raises/lowers AND centers the mufflers in the rear facia cutouts.
I tried all that...didn't work. I just had long tubes installed so things were out of wack. I had to wack on the on the hanger bars.
Old 10/30/07, 02:20 PM

I purchased Bassani mufflers and couldn't get them lined up. When I the install in the garage they looked really bad, both mufflers had to point in opposite directions I couldn't get them even for the life of me, one side was sticking out further then the other. I took it to Midas who did an ok job but they were still uneven. They cut one of the muffler at the weld and repositioned it then welded it back in, Remove the stoppers on the tubes the factory puts on, this prevented the mufflers from going back enough, they bent all the hangers on the mufflers to get them at the correct level even then they were still not perfect but I could live with it. When we put my headers and xpipe in I took the car to a friend who owns a speed shop we had to shorten one of the pipes to get them even. It was a really pain in the butt but now they look awesome.
Old 10/31/07, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tom281

Hmmm... I didn't realize rotating the pipes would raise & lower the tips. The only adjustment I did was make one side a little longer so it stuck out the same length under the cutouts as the other side.

Quick Reply: help, I CANNOT get my mufflers lined up.