GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Headers - are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/07, 03:20 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Headers - are they worth it?

I am looking into buying Long Tube Headers
Are they worth it and what are the best ones for the money?

What Kills me is that Headers for any other Car (ie Fbody, Fox or New edge)
average cost is 300-500 for our cars it's a lot more.

Please Educate me, there are so many things listed, LT headers say, (for off road use only) I want the LT but I need Cats and the pre and post cat O2 senors to work. (VA Laws)
Any Advice? Trials and errors, ect.. What other Parts besides the headers are needed, H-pipe, HF Cats, sensor cables... bla bla ..

So Confused...

Pacesetter - 400.00
American Racing - 1500.00
MAC - 1100.00 / 449.00
JBA - 1100.00 / 650.00
Kooks - 1495.00
Hooker - 1025.00 / 799.00
OBX with Xpipe - 449.99
Stainless Works - 1600.00 / 925.00
Dynatech - 1195.00
Borla - 1182.00

Old 7/5/07, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I think at this point no.... unless your adding a supercharger and want the added hp. later. If its sound you want there are tons of mufflers that will get you the sound you want. In a few years when the new model comes out/market slows down the prices will drop.
I am holding out for either a turbo or a s/c before I do headers or a cia. Thats just me tho.
Old 7/5/07, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by 2K05GT
I am looking into buying Long Tube Headers
Are they worth it and what are the best ones for the money?

What Kills me is that Headers for any other Car (ie Fbody, Fox or New edge)
average cost is 300-500 for our cars it's a lot more.

Please Educate me, there are so many things listed, LT headers say, (for off road use only) I want the LT but I need Cats and the pre and post cat O2 senors to work. (VA Laws)
Any Advice? Trials and errors, ect.. What other Parts besides the headers are needed, H-pipe, HF Cats, sensor cables... bla bla ..

So Confused...

Pacesetter - 400.00
American Racing - 1500.00
MAC - 1100.00 / 449.00
JBA - 1100.00 / 650.00
Kooks - 1495.00
Hooker - 1025.00 / 799.00
OBX with Xpipe - 449.99
Stainless Works - 1600.00 / 925.00
Dynatech - 1195.00
Borla - 1182.00

You didn't shop around for prices that great, I guess. Checking right now, Brenspeed has Mac long-tubes with coating AND a ProChamber midpipe for $930.

Doesn't seem too bad considering you get a mid and some other stuff too.
Old 7/5/07, 05:25 PM
GT Member

do headers if you're doing a full exhaust - headers, midpipe, cat back - maybe high flow cats as well - if you want to get any perf gains out of it...you'll also be in good shape if you either get huffed or puffed down the road later on....
Old 7/5/07, 05:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DaddyJ
do headers if you're doing a full exhaust - headers, midpipe, cat back - maybe high flow cats as well - if you want to get any perf gains out of it...you'll also be in good shape if you either get huffed or puffed down the road later on....
I am looking for Performance Gains... I have MAC's for AxleBacks, I am not considering exhaust sound, I even thought about putting the stock cans back on when I get headers. I want a inexspensive set of headers that won't rust out on me in a year, but I just can't justify paying 1500 bucks for headers and catted xpipes

Future Plans are for a Supercharger, but for now I am trying to get into the mid to high 12's N/A.
Old 7/5/07, 06:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

American Racing Headers long tubes, the fit is awesome and the quality is #1. I have the ARH LT's with non-catted H pipe and love them!
Old 7/5/07, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

I am looking for Performance Gains... I have MAC's for AxleBacks, I am not considering exhaust sound, I even thought about putting the stock cans back on when I get headers. I want a inexspensive set of headers that won't rust out on me in a year, but I just can't justify paying 1500 bucks for headers and catted xpipes

Future Plans are for a Supercharger, but for now I am trying to get into the mid to high 12's N/A.
Once again... Mac headers and mid-pipe for just over $900 from Brenspeed.
Old 7/5/07, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Every_Mn
You didn't shop around for prices that great, I guess. Checking right now, Brenspeed has Mac long-tubes with coating AND a ProChamber midpipe for $930.

Doesn't seem too bad considering you get a mid and some other stuff too.
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...546package.gif
I heard that the pro chamber actually kills HP and that the MAC LT are only 3/4 length. I found a set of MAC on brenspeed, just the headers for 449.00 is there an alternative X-Pipe or H-Pipe with cats I can use insted of the pro chamber?
Old 7/5/07, 06:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by flamin ponyexpress
American Racing Headers long tubes, the fit is awesome and the quality is #1. I have the ARH LT's with non-catted H pipe and love them!
I like those, do they hang lower than the stock pipes?
Also I need a Catted X or H pipe, I still don't know the real "performance / sound" Difference with going X over H other that it's needed to balance out the exhaust because of firing order.
Old 7/5/07, 06:21 PM
Team Mustang Source

I like those but I need a Catted X or H pipe, I still don't know the real "performance / sound" Difference with going X over H other that it's needed to balance out the exhaust because of firing order.
I have the American Racing L/T's WITH a catted H pipe (their new piece) with Stingers, and LOVE IT!! If you want the baddest sound for your car, you can't beat longtubes!! Plus the seat of pants feeling is awesome with the right tune. Its not the speed, but the pull in 4th and 5th gear!!! I even got two of my friends to take the plunge. And BTW, totally scratch OBX off your list. For that price, you get what you paid for, just to let you know. If you want quality, IMHO nothing beats American Racing.
Old 7/5/07, 07:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also got the American Racing long tubes with catted x-pipe. The quality is the best I've seen and they went in very easily. Fit and finish is top notch. The rest of the exhaust system is good enough that LTH's are the only exhaust mod you can do to these cars that will show any significant improvement. Of course an appropriate tune is mandatory. I also got CMCV delete plates. The improvement from the CMCV deletes is greater with long tubes.
Worth every penny in my opinion.
In regards to price yes they are lot more expensive than LTHs for fox bodies and that is becuase of the much higher production numbers. The S197 is still a realitively new car and headers for them are the only car they fit. Fox body headers were exactly the same for years and years. Higher mass production numbers mean lower price. Not much one can do about it.
Old 7/5/07, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

look into the new bbk longtubes there like 500 for ceramic coated and 200 for the catted x
Old 7/5/07, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ren274u
look into the new bbk longtubes there like 500 for ceramic coated and 200 for the catted x
BBK Long Tube CERAMIC Headers 2005-07 Mustang GT007817 $515.41
BBK Long Tube Chrome Headers 2005-07 Mustang GT007816 $439.88
BBK 2 3/4 inch X-pipe for 2005-07 Mustang GT w/ BBK Long Tube Headers - w/ CATS007819 $351.97

Has anyone used these? I noticed that they are not stainless does the ceramic coating wear off

American Racing Headers...
ARH LongTube 1-3/4 304-SS Headers w/Cats + Cross Pipe for 2005+ Mustang GT007103 $1,420.00
ARH LongTube 1-3/4 304-SS Headers w/Cats + H-Pipe for 2005+ Mustang GT0016457 $1,420.00

What are the pluses and minuses with X and H pipes???
Old 7/5/07, 10:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Basically what happens with an H-pipe is that at higher RPMS the exhaust doesn't turn the sharp corners in the H-pipe and it is effectvely bypassed. In simpler terms and H-pipe looses it's effectiveness at anything much over 3500 rpm.
An X-pipe has all the same advantages of an H-pipe but because of the smooth bends the exhaust does not bypass the connection between the two pipes and continues to work right up to redline.
Some people claim the sound is a little different between the two as well but from a pure performance stand point the X-pipe is the better choice.
It isn't going to make a huge difference but every little bit helps!
Old 7/6/07, 01:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 281GT
Some people claim the sound is a little different between the two as well but from a pure performance stand point the X-pipe is the better choice.
It isn't going to make a huge difference but every little bit helps!
Exactly. You can't feel 2-3rwhp.

However, you can tell the sound difference between a 350Z and a Mustang GT. The Mustang is choppier, and that's how it should be.

I heard that the pro chamber actually kills HP and that the MAC LT are only 3/4 length. I found a set of MAC on brenspeed, just the headers for 449.00 is there an alternative X-Pipe or H-Pipe with cats I can use insted of the pro chamber?
Where did you hear that about the ProChamber? Also, who really cares if they're not full-length long-tubes? If anything they'll be easier to install.
Old 7/6/07, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Here is a long thread about my experence w/ the American Racing LT Headers and catted H-pipe. Journal: ARH LT install

Bottom line, I like them! The sound is amazing. Complete strangers walk up to me in parking lots to say how "Bad As s" my car sounds (along w/ the Flowmasters). I was a little disappointed w/ the performance, but I think my expectations were too high, less than favorable weather, and I had some tune work to do. But w/ the help of CR at TillmanSpeed, my Stang is running great now!!
Old 7/6/07, 10:00 AM
GT Member

Not sure where you heard this but I doubt it's fact. I saw a dyno in person with the Prochamber on a SN95 with no other mods other than catback and it picked up some nice gains. I know there's less to gain from the S197 exhaust but I've never heard of a loss due to the PC. Also it all depends on what your needs/goals are and what your looking to spend. Want the best then ARH or Kooks system. If your not looking to spend that kind of coin then I don't think you can't beat Brenspeeds MAC header & Prochamber setup.
Old 7/6/07, 01:20 PM
GT Member

I read it some where that the Macs headers where only worth 10 hp and the prochamber only was good for 5-8 but what installed on a stock header the car lost power. Prochamber was mostly for sound not power.

If I go through all the pain of installing headers, x-pipe ect.. I want to see 30hp when it's all done.
Old 7/6/07, 01:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

I read it some where that the Macs headers where only worth 10 hp and the prochamber only was good for 5-8 but what installed on a stock header the car lost power. Prochamber was mostly for sound not power.

If I go through all the pain of installing headers, x-pipe ect.. I want to see 30hp when it's all done.
You won't see 30 hp. Maybe 25. More like 20 hp though. I can DEFINITELY feel a difference, especially in the upper RPM range.
Old 7/6/07, 01:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I have the American Racing L/T's WITH a catted H pipe (their new piece) with Stingers, and LOVE IT!! If you want the baddest sound for your car, you can't beat longtubes!! Plus the seat of pants feeling is awesome with the right tune. Its not the speed, but the pull in 4th and 5th gear!!! I even got two of my friends to take the plunge. And BTW, totally scratch OBX off your list. For that price, you get what you paid for, just to let you know. If you want quality, IMHO nothing beats American Racing.
+1

Quick Reply: Headers - are they worth it?