GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Headers? Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/11, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mustang money has piled up and it's time to blow it! Ive done research, but I have a few questions on compatibility and quality.

First off, headers. I have decided to go with longtubes, but I have found Mac, pypes, etc. But I want an h pipe. Not a prochamber. Also, how good are boost brothers longtubes?

Cams. I want something for sound first and power second. But I don't want to do springs. Hot rods? My only question with cams is if I do them, do I have to have a new torque converter or can i just get the gears? Or do I need both?

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by Stockfoursix; 6/2/11 at 05:01 PM.
Old 6/2/11, 07:36 PM
V6 Member

1) Best headers are kooks or american racing.
2) Hot Rods are great for sound barely and performance gains and neither gears are converter are required but they help.
Old 6/2/11, 08:14 PM

I know kooks and arh are the best but what kind of quality are the boost brothers? In comparison.

Also which cams would be good for a sound/ power balance? I don't want to spend that much and not get any performance gains
Old 6/2/11, 08:23 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stockfoursix
I know kooks and arh are the best but what kind of quality are the boost brothers? In comparison.

Also which cams would be good for a sound/ power balance? I don't want to spend that much and not get any performance gains
Can't speak towards what you are asking so I will refer to others but why not do it right the 1st time and buy the best proven headers vs an off brand? As for cams it all depends on your future plans on mods.
Old 6/2/11, 09:27 PM

Here is a review on headers.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...est/index.html
Old 6/2/11, 09:29 PM

Wrong one. Here it is.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ers/index.html
Old 6/2/11, 09:44 PM

Headers wise....kooks, pypes, or Mac is what I would look at.
Cam wise I would say hotrods. I gained quite a bit of midrange from the seat of the pants dyno. Sound awesome. And for just a few more hp and a less aggressive sound I'll take the hp loss to get this amazing sound.
Old 6/2/11, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

K to the o.p. If you are even considering pypes I suggest a google search. I have not read good things at all as far as fit is concerned. Mac is top notch. So is basanni. Bbk seems hit and miss too.
Old 6/2/11, 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! It's good to find a site that actually has some involved members that aren't complete jerks.

So here's my final question. Which would be a better choice? Heads or cams? My budget will only allow one at the moment with my aesthetic mods. With the cams it would be the hot rods and headers would probably be kooks or Mac.
Old 6/2/11, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for all the info guys! It's good to find a site that actually has some involved members that aren't complete jerks.

So here's my final question. Which would be a better choice? Heads or cams? My budget will only allow one at the moment with my aesthetic mods. With the cams it would be the hot rods and headers would probably be kooks or Mac.
K I got my stock Windsor Pi heads and will be installing mhs stage 2 cams and I am finished modding the motor. A port and polish will cost about the same as cams bought and installed. Here is the issue for you. Do you get the headwork done and leave the Pi cams in,or do you bite the bullet and do cams too at same time. If you are paying a shop to do it it only makes sense to do both if you were considering both options. Personally I decided to go with just a cam swap. With all my bolt-ons and my mhs cams I am finally over that 300hp 2v mountain. Bear in mind that anything over a stage 2 cam you will need to change valve springs. Anyways,to finish my essay,if you have the money do both at once or you pay for labour twice. Otherwise I would and am swapping cams. And we got you fooled. We are jerks
Old 6/2/11, 10:06 PM

Ah thanks for the info about heads haha but I slipped up. Meant headers!

I would be installing either one myself as I do have experience in that.
Old 6/2/11, 10:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remember that both of these are a PITA to install, installation will cost you as much as the parts. Just something to plan on.

If you are only going for one or the other, I would go for the cams. They will give good HP, and good sound. As long as you don't plan on creating extreme power in the future you can go with some NSR cams and keep the cost at a minimum. Another thing to consider, do you live in a state that does an emissions test? LT headers can make you fail the test.

What mods do you already have?
Old 6/2/11, 10:26 PM

I live in Georgia so no worries on emissions.

So far for performance I have a Mac air intake, sct 83 bama tune, o/r h pipe and slp lm1 welded in mid muffler.
Old 6/2/11, 10:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ohhhhhhhh headers or cams. Easy one. Cams
Old 6/2/11, 10:33 PM

For the sake of saving another thread, I have one mor question.

Would a steeda inlet elbow fit my Mac intake filter? It seems about the same size as the steeda filter and it would save good $200. Anyone tried this?
Old 6/3/11, 12:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Would a steeda inlet elbow fit my Mac intake filter? It seems about the same size as the steeda filter and it would save good $200. Anyone tried this?
Sorry. I cannot help you there. Try google
Old 6/3/11, 10:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont know about the steeda, but the C&L fits, I ran like that for a couple years. Mac filter, Mac MAF and C&L tube with a custom tune. Had a C&L heat shield. I have a C&L tube if your interested.
Old 6/9/11, 06:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the Kooks long tubes with the catted H-pipe and the fitment with them is perfect. Even with the modified prothane motor mounts, there is no rubbing at all anywhere.

I also recently installed the Brenspeed Detroit cams and they are real nice also.
Old 6/9/11, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

My advice with the LT headers is that only Kooks and JBA have options for an H pipe.......off road or catted from what I have found from my research.

As far as is Kooks really that good compared to others....I am not sure. Your best bet would be to get feedback from people who ACTUALLY have them on their cars......and not from people who are merely repeating what others are saying.
Old 6/10/11, 01:09 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my mac headers with prochamber! I would say Detroit rockers for cams!

Quick Reply: Headers? Cams?