GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Has the economy and gas prices put the brakes on mods for you?

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/08, 04:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Nope, my car's exactly the way I've wanted it and I don't have any expensive mods to do. The only future plans I have are for a grille emblem and maybe to spray some tinted clear on my exhaust tips, etc to give the black chrome effect. The economy won't affect these cheap mods.
Ditto on that sentiment I'm of the mind set that just because there's an aftermarket part out there for my car, that doesn't mean I need to buy it and put it on there. IMO there's a line that shouldn't be crossed in order to keep from turning a great looking car into a mockery of itself. Know when to say when
Old 10/1/08, 04:57 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by MTAS
Ditto on that sentiment I'm of the mind set that just because there's an aftermarket part out there for my car, that doesn't mean I need to buy it and put it on there. IMO there's a line that shouldn't be crossed in order to keep from turning a great looking car into a mockery of itself. Know when to say when
Exactly, no need to make a car look like it's trying out for the SEMA show. Us with the 05's have had a little time to get things 'right' over those just bringing home their 08's. Don't get me wrong though... if I had a few thousand extra dollars sitting around, I would be tempted to talk to Mr Saleen about a new, ahem, indction system.
Old 10/1/08, 05:15 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
very def put the woh in my go .. iv`e got three toys and used to drive all three in various cruise laps every weekend .. mostly thru southern tenn as there never is any law about .. but this year iv`e not made one trip .. i just go thru new market and hazel green and hit a few of my fav burnout spots .. i can easily burn up 150$ in gas if i still cruised like i used to
Old 10/1/08, 05:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's always something to delay mods in our lives, and life is too short. I'm pressing on with my SC install next month.
Old 10/1/08, 06:18 AM
Cobra R Member

the economy hasnt put the brakes on my mods, the trying to save to buy a house factor put the brakes on my mods.
Old 10/1/08, 04:22 PM
Team Mustang Source

Thank God I was done!

Last edited by GRAYPNY; 10/1/08 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10/1/08, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

all 3 cars are close to being complete, waiting and watching the bottom line until I can get a new tune, am starting to think more cautiously, maybe the bailout bill will makes some things get better and we all get more money. LOL
Old 10/2/08, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cheese302
the economy hasnt put the brakes on my mods, the trying to save to buy a house factor put the brakes on my mods.
+ 1 (kinda)...

Trying to rebuild "everything" after fire destroyed our house last October has been a major PITA. But, after waiting months and months and months to finally get some insurance money, one of the first things I did was to replace a lot of my tools, equipment, etc., and get a truck and trailer. I also put some money into the car (rebuilt the engine, plus new injectors, fuel pumps, air intake, wheels/tires, suspension, etc.), so I could turn up the wick on the car a little bit. After over 10 months, we could finally hit the local tracks again. It feels sooooo good!

So this is how we roll now!

Last edited by don_w; 10/2/08 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10/2/08, 03:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by don_w
+ 1 (kinda)...

Trying to rebuild "everything" after fire destroyed our house last October has been a major PITA. But, after waiting months and months and months to finally get some insurance money, one of the first things I did was to replace a lot of my tools, equipment, etc., and get a truck and trailer. I also put some money into the car (rebuilt the engine, plus new injectors, fuel pumps, air intake, wheels/tires, suspension, etc.), so I could turn up the wick on the car a little bit. After over 10 months, we could finally hit the local tracks again. It feels sooooo good!

Good for you and Donna!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad you guys are back to doing what you like so much.
Scott
Old 10/2/08, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Good for you and Donna!!!!!!!!!!! I am glad you guys are back to doing what you like so much.
Scott
Thanks Scott!

And with a little luck, we hope to be breaking ground on the new house in a few weeks! That will be exciting too. Can't believe its been almost a year already.
Old 10/2/08, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did anyone notice that cars sales were below 1 million units (per month) for the first time in 15 years? Even Toyota has a 32% drop (well deserved - the local dealers hers are a little arogant (sp?))
Old 10/2/08, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
It was in todays news that car sales are down because Loans are harder to get at this time. Yet Dealers are still trying to F the customer out of their money. How can they ask for mark ups with lower sales numbers?
Old 10/2/08, 06:50 PM
I lust for a M24

Thanks Scott!

And with a little luck, we hope to be breaking ground on the new house in a few weeks! That will be exciting too. Can't believe its been almost a year already.
Hey Don! Haven't seen you post in a while and was wondering about you. I saw the news clip w/ your house and still remember it. Glad things are getting better for you!
Old 10/2/08, 07:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrnT
It was in todays news that car sales are down because Loans are harder to get at this time. Yet Dealers are still trying to F the customer out of their money. How can they ask for mark ups with lower sales numbers?
Please don't stereotype. Just to survive and clear out inventory, dealers are giving away deals like never before. And the manufacturers are giving away huge rebates! This is certainly a buyer's market in these desperate times!

For example, the dealership I work at has all remaining new 2008 Fords, Lincolns, and Mercurys priced below invoice: ALL OF THEM. Many are priced many hundreds below invoice, some a couple thousand below invoice. Even our new 2009's are topped out at $500 over invoice (still way below MSRP). We have just 4 exceptions here: GT500's and Bullitts are MSRP. Hybrids and MKS's are $1,500 over invoice (which is still comfortably below MSRP).

Last edited by Five Oh Brian; 10/2/08 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10/2/08, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jaguarking11
I am actually looking more now, shops will fear a slowdown in economy and will want to move their inventory.
True that! I've been cutting prices on my blower kits trying to get them sold, I'm basically only turning a profit on the install cost, it's a tough economy we've got here.... especially with a high ticket item like a blower!
Old 10/2/08, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Hey Don! Haven't seen you post in a while and was wondering about you. I saw the news clip w/ your house and still remember it. Glad things are getting better for you!
Thanks! We're pretty glad, too!
Old 10/2/08, 09:53 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+ 1 (kinda)...

Ok, now i'm really jealous!! My favorite car and truck!!!! Glad your doing so we'll Don

The sonicblue and black truck!! Can't have it any other way

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 10/2/08 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10/2/08, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Ok, now i'm really jealous!! My favorite car and truck!!!! Glad your doing so we'll Don

The sonicblue and black truck!! Can't have it any other way
I bought that truck for my wife a couple months ago... 2005 F250 turbo diesel, Harley Davidson. It's freakin' nice!! And even though it was for her, it just happens to work great as a tow vehicle, too.
Old 10/2/08, 10:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yeah Don's got that car dialed in pretty good. Did anyone notice the air under the front tires during the launch?
Old 10/2/08, 10:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought that truck for my wife a couple months ago... 2005 F250 turbo diesel, Harley Davidson. It's freakin' nice!! And even though it was for her, it just happens to work great as a tow vehicle, too.
Lucky Gal!!! I was lookin at one at the dealship a few weeks ago. Black harley minus the lift I can't handle that payment right now but once I pay off the stang and my wifes car ima sale my little chevy and get me one of those!!!

Last edited by SONICBOOST; 10/2/08 at 10:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Has the economy and gas prices put the brakes on mods for you?