GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Had fun with a Corvette today!

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/07, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't mind metroplex.

He has 2000+ posts on a forum dedicated to the discussion, modding, and appreciation of a car that by all indications, he believes is inferior.

He rips on people for improving their cars through modification, yet is not happy with his own bone-stock GT.

What gives?

Originally Posted by FordRacing
You obviously think the vette is a great car, I don't
I'm a mustang fan, that's why I'm on a mustang board; and calling me a 12 year old isan't going to change my mind.
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes I agree. The S197 GT is a sub-$30k muscle car (11.5:1 weight to power ratio) that runs on 87 octane gas. I can't find another performance car for the same price that can run on 87 octane gas let alone run just as fast for the same price. Even the Miata and RX-8 require 91 octane gas.

The C6 Vette is a lot of car for the money, and I can't wait for the C7 Vette to come out. The Magneride system is what a lot of the other manufacturers are using, or at least basing their systems on (e.g. the Audi TT's magnetic ride). It makes a world of a difference compared to a standard monotube or twin-tube shock dampener.

I wish every car had a head-up display complete with digital tachometer and speedometer (like the Ducatti display).
GT Member

Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Why can't we all appreciate ALL fast cars?

I feel like it's a BIG sign of insecurity to talk smack about another car when someone brings up one GOOD aspect about that other car.

For example:
On ricer forums: If you say a Mustang is fast, people will respond with "whatever, it's still a piece-of-s* RUSTang!! F.O.R.D. = Found On The Road Dead."
On mustang forums: If you say a GTO is fast, people will respond with "Whatever, at least my mustang doesn't look like an egg!!"
On GTO forums: If you say GTOs are ugly, people will respond with "Whatever, who cares about what it LOOKS like.. my engine has more power, end of story."
etc...

This is all INSECURE BEHAVIOR. Most sporty cars have SOME GOOD ASPECTS and SOME BAD ASPECTS. We all purchased what we purchased because we care about the GOOD that OUR CARS have. Other people care about different things. It's not necessary to validate our Mustangs with "you can make it faster for cheaper." It's ALREADY A GOOD CAR FOR ITS PRICE!!!

Whew. Ok, please don't take offense. I just truely appreciate sporty cars for what they are and not for what badge the wear.
I don't think it's insecure behavior. I think...if you argue that a Corvette is a better investment than a Mustang...ON a Mustang forum...you will get some vary passionate responses.
Old 9/5/07, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

No offense taken.. While I agree with you for the most part I just dont care for vette's (probably too much dealing with vette owners back in the day of being a grease monkey)
Old 9/5/07, 11:37 AM
GT Member

For the money I spent on my Mustang...I could have purchased something else...maybe better (by someone else’s standards)...or maybe not. There is no question that the Mustang is raw and unsophisticated...but that is exactly why I like it. I'm old enough to remember the FIRST Mustang and I've watched this car change in form from year to year...but it has always signified American Muscle to me and I think that is why most of us love this car. I can appreciate other cars...but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to beat them on the street or track.
Old 9/5/07, 11:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does everyone want to campare a 50-60K vette or 60-80K BMW (BringMyWallet) to a 25K mustang?

Before you start the MSRP for a GT500 is42-45K
Old 9/5/07, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Good, bad...Mustand owners have more friends.
Old 9/5/07, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MSGTGT
I don't think it's insecure behavior. I think...if you argue that a Corvette is a better investment than a Mustang...ON a Mustang forum...you will get some vary passionate responses.
Gotcha, makes sense. I get like that every time people hate on another car in response to a kill story (in this case, it was ragging on the mustang in response to a corvette kill story - and the ensuing exchange). It was just my first time venting so I had alot of it built up. (MMmmm... rage-a-hol... )
Old 9/5/07, 12:15 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you buy cars with investment in mind you need help. And like someone already mentioned. Your compairing two different classes of car. I hope that if the guy with his 50k can run better then mine, by all means.

But considered just putting in a nice whipple intercooled, brakes, and minor suspension mods I'm still ahead of the game. How many avg drivers take there cars to the track? Most want quick power. Mustang delievers JUST fine for much less then 50k.
Old 9/5/07, 02:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The C6 Vette is arguably America’s best car. It’s an amazing deal and offers great performance. I’ve got a lot of money invested into my car and am supercharged. I often lust for the new LS3 Vette. I don’t care how much money you put into a Mustang’s suspension, you still can’t overcome the deficiencies in the overall package. The Vette’s suspension doesn’t really need work out of the box.
Old 9/5/07, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The GT or GT500 still does not have a head-up display or the magnetic ride shocks/suspension package. Ford didn't bother with IRS on the S197 because it would cost too much. A loaded up C6 is $50k MSRP, a stripped down C6 is about $40k MSRP which is on-par with a GT500 and you don't have to deal with ADMs.
Old 9/5/07, 02:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Mustang's competitor is the Camaro, which will be out shortly. Vettes are in a different league.
Old 9/5/07, 02:53 PM
GT Member

Alot of good discussion about which car is better, but the only thing that happened was a "heads up" straight-line good old fashioned street race. My car was the better one this time...but I have no doubt that I'll have my butt handed to me by someone else with a faster car in the future. And by the smile on the face of that Corvette guy...he had as much fun as I did. I'm sure he knew that, if we had raced on a winding road, his car would have beaten me easily. I know it too. I try not to take these things too seriously...just want to have a little fun.
Old 9/5/07, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
The GT or GT500 still does not have a head-up display or the magnetic ride shocks/suspension package. Ford didn't bother with IRS on the S197 because it would cost too much. A loaded up C6 is $50k MSRP, a stripped down C6 is about $40k MSRP which is on-par with a GT500 and you don't have to deal with ADMs.
HUD and MRC are your motivation to purchase a sports car? The 08 Mustang has Ambient Lighting and MyColor...does the Vette?
Please...
Old 9/5/07, 07:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ShowGT
Heartbeat stopped in a hoofprint.

Bumpersticker, or t-shirt idea???
Old 9/5/07, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like a great t-shirt idea to me.
Old 9/5/07, 09:37 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by krnpimpsta
Why can't we all appreciate ALL fast cars?

I feel like it's a BIG sign of insecurity to talk smack about another car when someone brings up one GOOD aspect about that other car.

For example:
On GTO forums: If you say GTOs are ugly, people will respond with "Whatever, who cares about what it LOOKS like.. my engine has more power, end of story."
Also forgot to add before your ect, GTO guys consider the Mustang a posuer performance car and if you drive one you underwear is all pink and frilly.
Old 9/5/07, 09:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MSGTGT
For the money I spent on my Mustang...I could have purchased something else...maybe better (by someone else’s standards)...or maybe not. There is no question that the Mustang is raw and unsophisticated...but that is exactly why I like it. I'm old enough to remember the FIRST Mustang and I've watched this car change in form from year to year...but it has always signified American Muscle to me and I think that is why most of us love this car. I can appreciate other cars...but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to beat them on the street or track.
Werd!
Old 9/5/07, 09:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Even if he had come up against a high-end vette and got wooped...At least it would be American muscle...
Old 9/5/07, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

well if your racing for pinks..then when you win the vette, your way ahead ..hehe..look my dad had a 1974 can-am corvette, 383..it screamed..took it to 140 and still had plenty of throttle left, but we were afraid to do to much..its TOO valuable, my dad also had a 66 coupe that we put a 351 in..that was fun to do, and that was a blast to drive, but we werent afraid to have fun, if this car had somthing happen, we could afford to fix it! lol but either way i love fast cars, stylish cars, and cars that are classic, new or old, if it grabs my attention, it probably deserves it...so i say flame war over, he beat a vette, the guy didnt flip him off and hide!! he gave the thumbs up! hes a guy tryin to have fun, thats what its all about is the fun..not whos is faster, that only matters at the track...anyways, i hope everybody here drives safe, and as long as there isnt other cars on the road...romping around isnt so bad, just be aware that there is 300hp at your foot, and it wants to gallop...as always, drive safe and have a nice day folks

Quick Reply: Had fun with a Corvette today!