GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Had fun with a Corvette today!

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/07, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had fun with a Corvette today!

There I was...minding my own business...driving to work this morning, when all of a sudden, a bright new shiny white Corvette pulls up to me at the light. I didn't want to be a jerk...so I waited to see what he would do. The light changed to green...he launched and the race was on. I was already behind when I hit the gas, but in no time the race was over...the white Corvette was in my rear view mirror. He was cool about it though. He gave me the thumbs up as we turned to go in separate directions. I’m sure it was a base model Vette…but it was fun anyway.
Old 9/4/07, 07:45 PM

Nice kill. Corvette didn`t know he was getting into it with a SC Pony.

Eric
Old 9/4/07, 09:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Old 9/4/07, 09:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heartbeat stopped in a hoofprint.
Old 9/4/07, 09:36 PM
V6 Member

His fun was going home with a C6. Sorry bro, but face it. He'll have fun with it and sell it or upgrade and get most of his $ back, we Mustang owners will get some kicks and lose our collective asses. So yeah, enjoy the "kill". But keep it real, the last laugh matters most.

Last edited by Okiewan; 12/12/14 at 09:56 AM.
Old 9/4/07, 10:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Okiewan
His fun was going home with a C6. Sorry bro, but face it. He'll have fun with it and sell it or upgrade and get most of his $ back, we Mustang owners will get some kicks and lose our collective asses. So yeah, enjoy the "kill". But keep it real, the last laugh matters most.
I like ALL fast cars…Corvettes too. I’m not trying to laugh first or last…just having fun. But I didn’t put a supercharger on my Mustang so I could lose a challenge on the street. I’m pretty sure the guy in the Corvette wasn’t trying to lose either. Win or lose…if we enjoy these cars…we all go home happy.
Old 9/4/07, 10:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

In the end he still thought his 60,000 piece o crap would beat the little ol mustang......gotta love the ending to this story.

oh by the way....the last laugh has us all in the same place so have fun while you can
Old 9/4/07, 10:17 PM
V6 Member

Right on ...

Last edited by Okiewan; 12/12/14 at 09:55 AM.
Old 9/5/07, 08:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by FordRacing
In the end he still thought his 60,000 piece o crap would beat the little ol mustang......gotta love the ending to this story.

oh by the way....the last laugh has us all in the same place so have fun while you can
A fully loaded base C6 is $50k MSRP. That includes a 8:1 weight to power ratio (same as the GT500) but with magnetic ride suspension, a head-up display, xenon HIDs (projector optics, and not the crummy reflector optics), better handling, and a 6-speed manual.
Old 9/5/07, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
A fully loaded base C6 is $50k MSRP. That includes a 8:1 weight to power ratio (same as the GT500) but with magnetic ride suspension, a head-up display, xenon HIDs (projector optics, and not the crummy reflector optics), better handling, and a 6-speed manual.
Yup, and a plastic body that looks like a toy car that my neighbor's kid stepped on, and a virtual assumption of "small winkie factor".

For kicks, let's take a different approach...

Base GT: $29K
hard-core suspension: $4K
10PSI blower, with all the mods to support: $7K
"Bling" wheels and tires: $3K
"Viper spec" 6-speed: $6K (with triple-disc clutch)

The total is $49K, right about the cost of the vette, and will flat-out whip the vette in both 1/4 mile and road course situations, and arguably look a hell of a lot better doing it. Additional benefits include lower insurance cost, plus the fun of the engineering and building.

Based on your sig, it sounds like you're pretty dissatisfied with your car... Have you taken the issues up with your dealer?
Old 9/5/07, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SoundGuyDave
Yup, and a plastic body that looks like a toy car that my neighbor's kid stepped on, and a virtual assumption of "small winkie factor".

For kicks, let's take a different approach...

Base GT: $29K
hard-core suspension: $4K
10PSI blower, with all the mods to support: $7K
"Bling" wheels and tires: $3K
"Viper spec" 6-speed: $6K (with triple-disc clutch)

The total is $49K, right about the cost of the vette, and will flat-out whip the vette in both 1/4 mile and road course situations, and arguably look a hell of a lot better doing it. Additional benefits include lower insurance cost, plus the fun of the engineering and building.

Based on your sig, it sounds like you're pretty dissatisfied with your car... Have you taken the issues up with your dealer?
I agree that for your $49k setup, it would probably give a base C6 vette a good run for its money especially since the base GT is about 600 lb lighter than the GT500.

However, the resale value of that GT has not generally increased based on the mods you installed. I know if I were looking for a used car and saw someone try to sell that $49k setup, I'd know that person raced/abused that car (why else would someone install a 10 psi blower with all those suspension mods). A used C6 vette, on the other hand, will hold its resale value slightly better and even more so if the previous owner didn't abuse/race it. In terms of value, the C6 still wins over the $49k modified GT. Even with the most hardcore suspension mods devised, the C6 still has magnetic ride shocks. The C6 would also have a fancy head-up display and a built-in G-meter. All with a factory warranty and without any fuss/mess with self-made engineering shennanigans or having to deal with aftermarket vendors/shops. Remember the guy with the driveshaft that separated on the road at 70 mph? The stock 2-piece shaft is rated for 145 mph bone stock.

The fiberglass/carbon fiber body on the C6 is a big PLUS because it won't rust and is lighter than sheet metal. If I had a choice, I'd go with the same setup on my Stang.

If you want something fast, get a GSX-1300R/Hayabusa or a Ducatti 1098 or any of the 1000cc sport bikes. The weight to power ratio is incredible (almost 2:1) for 1/3 the price of a base GT.
Old 9/5/07, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Interesting discussion. I didn't know that beating a Corvette in a road race with my Mustang would lead us to defend the Corvette owner's choice of cars. Especially on a Mustang forum! It's a good discussion though...I like it.
Old 9/5/07, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Give it a run for it's money? your kidding right? Who care's what the resale is...I mean really.
Old 9/5/07, 09:53 AM
V6 Member

Simple. Two entirely different schools of thought ...
$49K on a C6, you'll get most of your money back.
$49K on a GT, you'll lose most of your money.

Now, if the smile you get from running with a C6 is worth it... more power to ya.
The "piece of crap" comment? Just sucks basically. There are few good American cars left in the game, the Vette is at the top of the heap. Bottom line tho, tossing out the hate on an obviously great car is expected from a 12 year old, not a real car fan.

Last edited by Okiewan; 12/12/14 at 09:54 AM.
Old 9/5/07, 10:06 AM
GT Member

For me...neither the money nor the return on investment were in my mind when I bought my Mustang. I'm not anti-Corvette...I'm just pro-Mustang. I have always loved the Pony cars...for as long as I can remember. I don't think most people who can buy a sports car look at it as in investment. If it were an investment, I wouldn't be racing it on the street. I'm pretty sure the Corvette guy would agree...he's the one who picked a fight (race) with me. He went out of his way to hunt me down to race. He got his wish...but no hard feelings...even if I would have lost. It's just what street racers do.
Old 9/5/07, 10:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Okiewan
The "piece of crap" comment? Just sucks basically. There are few good American cars left in the game, the Vette is at the top of the heap. Bottom line tho, tossing out the hate on an obviously great car is expected from a 12 year old, not a real car fan.

You obviously think the vette is a great car, I don't
I'm a mustang fan, that's why I'm on a mustang board; and calling me a 12 year old isan't going to change my mind.
Old 9/5/07, 10:38 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordRacing
You obviously think the vette is a great car, I don't
I'm a mustang fan, that's why I'm on a mustang board; and calling me a 12 year old isan't going to change my mind.
Old 9/5/07, 10:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Good job Dave! He got what he deserves for picking on a Mustang.
Old 9/5/07, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

a mustang v. corvette fight... thats new
Old 9/5/07, 11:12 AM

Why can't we all appreciate ALL fast cars?

I feel like it's a BIG sign of insecurity to talk smack about another car when someone brings up one GOOD aspect about that other car.

For example:
On ricer forums: If you say a Mustang is fast, people will respond with "whatever, it's still a piece-of-s* RUSTang!! F.O.R.D. = Found On The Road Dead."
On mustang forums: If you say a GTO is fast, people will respond with "Whatever, at least my mustang doesn't look like an egg!!"
On GTO forums: If you say GTOs are ugly, people will respond with "Whatever, who cares about what it LOOKS like.. my engine has more power, end of story."
etc...

This is all INSECURE BEHAVIOR. Most sporty cars have SOME GOOD ASPECTS and SOME BAD ASPECTS. We all purchased what we purchased because we care about the GOOD that OUR CARS have. Other people care about different things. It's not necessary to validate our Mustangs with "you can make it faster for cheaper." It's ALREADY A GOOD CAR FOR ITS PRICE!!!

Whew. Ok, please don't take offense. I just truely appreciate sporty cars for what they are and not for what badge the wear.

Quick Reply: Had fun with a Corvette today!