GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

GT500 LCA's on GT

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/08, 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GT500 LCA's on GT

I was lucky enough to score a set of take off GT500 LCA's cheap to try on my GT to see if they would be a happy medium for wheel hop while still retaining a decent NVH level. I see Moss Mustang sells them and claims the bushings are a stiffer durometer. That seems to be BS. Here's their page > http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...61&SortOrder=2 The arms have a different paint color and part number, but the actual bushings have the same part number. I threw them on and tried it out. DID NOT reduce wheel hop at all so don't make this mistake.
Old 4/14/08, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I've been looking at them for a possible future mod when I start on my suspension.
Sorry that they didn't help you, but you have given some of us help
Old 4/14/08, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got a set for $100 shipped, so it wasn't too bad. I just don't want you guys to buy the new ones for almost $300.
Old 4/15/08, 04:47 AM
Cobra Member

Anthony,
How were you able to find out that the bushings were the same on both the GT-500 & standard GT LCA's?
That was the main reason for the claimed improvement
Thanks
Old 4/15/08, 12:13 PM
GT Member

For $100, it's better to step up to some decent aftermarket LCAs.

FYI - I have the Lakewood UCA and LCAs and I HATE them with a passion!!!! BMRs ordered and on their way.
Old 4/15/08, 02:46 PM
Bullitt Member

While we are talking about lower control arms that do or don't work... I can say that the non adjustable street lower control arms I got from steeda completely rid me of all wheel hop.
Old 4/15/08, 04:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to hotpart.com

tubular lca's for 115 shipped....
Old 4/15/08, 04:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by n8rfastback
go to hotpart.com

tubular lca's for 115 shipped....
They are great LCAs. I have had them in for a year now with no problems and I have no wheel hopping at all.

The other control arms for 265. was the front suspension A arms.
Old 4/15/08, 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
Anthony,
How were you able to find out that the bushings were the same on both the GT-500 & standard GT LCA's?
That was the main reason for the claimed improvement
Thanks
I'm sure it's a mistake. The manufacturer's part number that's molded right in the rubber bushing is the same. Also, I see no difference in the steel except for the color of the paint.
Old 4/16/08, 12:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also tried the J&M Hotpart LCA's, and I still have some wheel hop. Honestly I'm not even that sure it is any better than stock. Well, maybe a little bit better, but not by much. I'm currently debating on taking them off and returning it to stock since I seem to have developed quite a bit of extra drivetrain clunking. Not sure what is up with that...
Old 4/16/08, 07:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by anthony05gt
I'm sure it's a mistake. The manufacturer's part number that's molded right in the rubber bushing is the same. Also, I see no difference in the steel except for the color of the paint.

Thanks for the info, will pass on those for now.
I can paint my own to look like the GT-500's.
Old 4/16/08, 07:49 PM
V6 Member

I run the GT500 LCA and have zero hop and the part #s are not the same.
Old 4/16/08, 08:44 PM
Cobra Member

I was lucky enough to score a set of take off GT500 LCA's cheap to try on my GT to see if they would be a happy medium for wheel hop while still retaining a decent NVH level. I see Moss Mustang sells them and claims the bushings are a stiffer durometer. That seems to be BS. Here's their page > http://www.mossmustang.com/Shop/View...61&SortOrder=2 The arms have a different paint color and part number, but the actual bushings have the same part number. I threw them on and tried it out. DID NOT reduce wheel hop at all so don't make this mistake.
Are you sure you did not get ripped off? If the price is too good to be true, its probably not such a good deal.

When the GT500 LCAs first came out there were some photo comparisons posted as I recall and while the outline of the part is generally the same as the GT, it is visually distinctly different from it. And literature on the part indicates the bushing is of harder durometer.
Old 4/16/08, 09:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

No, I didn't get ripped off. I bought a set of barely used take offs from a guy with a GT500. I told him I'd try them. If you look at the picture in the link on my first post you can plainly see the lca's are identical other than paint color. The bushings have the same #, but the arms have a different # stamped in them. I have both sets right in my garage and so does a guy over on corral and he has come to the same conclusion.

Shawn13, I know the part #'s of the arms themselves are not the same. It's because of the paint color that the #'s are different. I do have wheel hop still and they are GT500 arms. My son's stock '05 GT doesn't have wheel hop at all.....some don't that's just the way it works out.
Old 4/17/08, 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

No, I didn't get ripped off. I bought a set of barely used take offs from a guy with a GT500. I told him I'd try them. If you look at the picture in the link on my first post you can plainly see the lca's are identical other than paint color. The bushings have the same #, but the arms have a different # stamped in them. I have both sets right in my garage and so does a guy over on corral and he has come to the same conclusion.

Shawn13, I know the part #'s of the arms themselves are not the same. It's because of the paint color that the #'s are different. I do have wheel hop still and they are GT500 arms. My son's stock '05 GT doesn't have wheel hop at all.....some don't that's just the way it works out.
That's a catalog picture, not a picture of yours ...
Old 4/18/08, 05:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Look bro, I've been around a long time and I think I know what I bought. I know the guy that sold them and host of other parts that came off of his GT500 which is being built for the track. Not to mention the part number stamped in the steel let alone the paint color. Let's not try to make this a ''you've been ripped off'' thread because I'm just telling you guys the information I have. I told this guy that I would try them out to see if they reduced low speed wheel hop which they didn't, so don't buy them.
Old 4/18/08, 05:46 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look bro, I've been around a long time and I think I know what I bought. I know the guy that sold them and host of other parts that came off of his GT500 which is being built for the track. Not to mention the part number stamped in the steel let alone the paint color. Let's not try to make this a ''you've been ripped off'' thread because I'm just telling you guys the information I have. I told this guy that I would try them out to see if they reduced low speed wheel hop which they didn't, so don't buy them.
I bought a new set and I can verify, not that you need it, that the bushings are indeed the same part numbers on the OEM GT LCA's and the GT500 LCA's.
Old 4/18/08, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thank you for the verification NJ3.
Old 4/18/08, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Thank you for the verification NJ3.
Don't get riled dude! We are only talking about parts, not making accusations.

I asked Kevin (Clevor Parts) about this to see if there was something that could explain this. His experience and observations are, Ford did install the GT500 ones on some of the non Shelby mustangs including the GT and GT/CS (his car). He has also observed the same number molded in the bushings on the different arms.

There is no official explanation why the number in the bushing is the same (what is that number by the way?), and apparently different on some others (Shawn13). It may be the same mold is used for the two different compounds. Does not mean the rest of the LCA has to look any different.

While the GT500 LCAs did not produce the result you were seeking, its not conclusive that the GT and GT 500 LCA bushings are the same durometer. That would require a better controlled scientific experiment other than throwing them on the car and subjectively analyzing.
Old 4/20/08, 07:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don't get riled? Settle down pal! GT500's have horrible wheel hop right out of the box. That should say enough right there. The point of this thread is to say ''they don't stop wheel hop'' which is all the scientific experimentation I need. The bushings may very well have just been made in the same mold....I don't know, I don't care. They DO NOT work for wheel hop on my car. I had both arms in my lap, shoved a bolt through the center of the bushings and tried to bend the bolt to see how much flex each had. They seemed the same to me. I've been a tech for 24 years and I've learned one thing for sure...real world experience is what matters, not some parts guy reading me technical information.

Quick Reply: GT500 LCA's on GT