GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information
View Poll Results: GT Owners! Satisfied with Factory Suspension?
Yes
53.33%
No
46.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

GT owners ! Satisfied with Factory Suspesion?

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/07, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
I'm with you on the tires. These puppies suck!!! Does anyone else's Pirelli's shimmy in this cold weather for the first couple of miles when you start out?? Can't wait to get my new rims and Nittos from Steeda. Only improvement I plan in the future to the stock suspension is a good set of shocks from Steeda or Tokico. I think this is the area that really can be improved on easily.
Scott
Get the D-Specs. You won't be disappointed.
Old 1/12/07, 05:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The Pirellis are pretty decent tires for daily driving. They don't work well in the snow or on ice though.
Old 1/12/07, 06:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

I like the stock suspension, its a ton better than the previous generations. Yes, it could be improved for on-track duties and the ride height is great for 4x4's, but for a factory suspension, its pretty good.
Old 1/12/07, 06:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My pirelli's shimmy also for about 2 miles when I first start out driving, they did that since about 3 months old...never knew why. Other than that I'm very happy with their performance, they grip like a **** in dry conditions. Think about it, with 300hp it should be no chore at all to roast the tires in 1st AND 2nd...but it is not too easy at all. Sure 1st will go if you try, but if you don't dump the clutch, you can keep 1st from smoking them all out. That says a lot toward the tires AND suspension setup.
Old 1/13/07, 05:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
My pirelli's shimmy also for about 2 miles when I first start out driving, they did that since about 3 months old...never knew why. Other than that I'm very happy with their performance, they grip like a **** in dry conditions. Think about it, with 300hp it should be no chore at all to roast the tires in 1st AND 2nd...but it is not too easy at all. Sure 1st will go if you try, but if you don't dump the clutch, you can keep 1st from smoking them all out. That says a lot toward the tires AND suspension setup.

A friend of mine that works for Firestone told me that Pirelli still uses nylon belts in their tire construction and after they sit awhile they flat spot. It is worst when it is cold. Take a few miles to get them round again. I thought tire manufactures stopped using nylon on performance tires 30 years ago. You old guys remember back than?
Scott
Old 1/13/07, 06:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
We must drive differently, because from a roll I can go WOT in 1st and break the tires loose easily, spin all the way thru 2nd and partially into 3rd. This is not powershifting either, just quick shifts while letting out of the throttle. To be fair though I do have 4.10 gears; maybe they're alittle much for the poor Pirellis lol.
Old 1/13/07, 06:59 AM
V6 Member

The ride and stance with the stock suspension is not bad at all for a street car, if it wasn't for the wheel hop I would have said yes
Old 1/13/07, 07:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
it really makes a big difference if you have the 17 or the 18 rims and tires also. Compareing it to my 2k stang its a world of difference I like the 06 much better
Old 1/13/07, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Probably in th minority here - but what bugs me about the stock suspension is the "off center transition" feel of the stock suspension. Going in a straight line it seems to want to move off center and you have to manage it.....not a linear feel at all. And when you start a left or right turn it seems float just a bit before it bites.....hard to describe - anyone else notice this? Also, the front springs seem a bit weak - car tends to nose dive and bounce a bit more than I'd like. My '05 GT coupe seemed to have stiffer springs.

My wish would be for a "tighter" suspension - without the accompanying harsh ride....but really don't think that's possible - generally if you want to play you have to pay . I wonder if installing aftermarket sway bars would help stiffen up the "off center" transition
Old 1/13/07, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by HOTLAP
Probably in th minority here - but what bugs me about the stock suspension is the "off center transition" feel of the stock suspension. Going in a straight line it seems to want to move off center and you have to manage it.....not a linear feel at all. And when you start a left or right turn it seems float just a bit before it bites.....hard to describe - anyone else notice this? Also, the front springs seem a bit weak - car tends to nose dive and bounce a bit more than I'd like. My '05 GT coupe seemed to have stiffer springs.

My wish would be for a "tighter" suspension - without the accompanying harsh ride....but really don't think that's possible - generally if you want to play you have to pay . I wonder if installing aftermarket sway bars would help stiffen up the "off center" transition
I did the swaybars as my first mod and it helps tighten up the car quite a bit but it still feels like it's on its tippy toes on turn in. Once the car was dropped with a set of Steeda Sport Springs the handling was much better and the ride didn't really suffer except for the pogo stick feeling over raised expansion joints. Once the Tokico D-Specs went in the ride quality improved tremandously.
Old 1/13/07, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by thump_rrr
I did the swaybars as my first mod and it helps tighten up the car quite a bit but it still feels like it's on its tippy toes on turn in. Once the car was dropped with a set of Steeda Sport Springs the handling was much better and the ride didn't really suffer except for the pogo stick feeling over raised expansion joints. Once the Tokico D-Specs went in the ride quality improved tremandously.

thump rrr - thanks that's great feedback I'll check into it!
Old 1/14/07, 12:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by moedavis
I've found the ride to be a bit too soft. I expect the mustang to be a sports car, pure and simple. If I wanted a luxury car I would have bought one.
I've since added the Steeda Ultralights and will soon replace the shocks. My former ride was a Mazda 3 that handled better than the mustang for $10k less
The convertible has a softer stock suspension than the coupes. If you wanted a stiffer stock suspension you should have bought the coupe...
Old 1/14/07, 04:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
We must drive differently, because from a roll I can go WOT in 1st and break the tires loose easily, spin all the way thru 2nd and partially into 3rd. This is not powershifting either, just quick shifts while letting out of the throttle. To be fair though I do have 4.10 gears; maybe they're alittle much for the poor Pirellis lol.
Yeah, you are running a CAI and tune, plus other mods. Looks like your making about 40+hp over stock, AND 4.10's...not really any comparison here. I'm absolutely bone stock.
Old 1/14/07, 07:58 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Can somebody thats went from the 17" by 8"s to 18" by 8.5"s tell me if they have seen a noticeable improvement in the factory suspension? ..
Old 1/14/07, 08:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
It sure blows away the handling of the musclecars from when I started driving.

thats what made them so fun to drive.....
Old 1/14/07, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
The convertible has a softer stock suspension than the coupes. If you wanted a stiffer stock suspension you should have bought the coupe...

Ah....but it's a real pain to lower the top on the coupe , seriously though, do you know for a fact that the convertible has a different suspension than the coupe....I had never heard that - but it does feel softer than my '05 coupe was
Old 1/14/07, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Can somebody thats went from the 17" by 8"s to 18" by 8.5"s tell me if they have seen a noticeable improvement in the factory suspension? ..
I wasn't on factory suspension when I went from 17 x 8 to 18 x 9.5 but there was a dramatic difference in handling.
Going to a 275/40 18 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 didn't hurt either.
Old 1/14/07, 11:02 AM
GT Member

upgrades

I put 18x9s on it and in conjuction with frpp lowering springs, adj panhard bar it turns better, also has a ton more grip in turns, now i am not as nervous about getting on the gas in a turn....before she wanted to come around...beware of panhard bars with heim joint rod ends though...i am hearing some hum/vibe/whine back there that i can omly assume came from not having the mushy rubber stock bushings in place....
Old 1/14/07, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove a factory 17" car and walked away a tad dissapointed absolutly sure that work was needed.

Then I test drove a factory 18" car (the one I bought), and it was simply a different car. More than just a +1 tire swap IMO.

From what I have read in a few places, ford claims that they tuned the suspension differently for the 18" cars. I believe every word of it.
Old 1/14/07, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 06SatinSilver
I put 18x9s on it and in conjuction with frpp lowering springs, adj panhard bar it turns better, also has a ton more grip in turns, now i am not as nervous about getting on the gas in a turn....before she wanted to come around...beware of panhard bars with heim joint rod ends though...i am hearing some hum/vibe/whine back there that i can omly assume came from not having the mushy rubber stock bushings in place....
Your running the factory Struts and Shocks ?

Quick Reply: GT owners ! Satisfied with Factory Suspesion?